Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2012, 10:11 am

Ok i was travelling in a bus with my son the ticked cost Rs.15+Rs.8 i gave the conductor Rs.25 he gave me back 2 rupees. I felt he should give me back 3 rupees so i asked him why he gave me Rs.2 back he started grumbling whether i was Ok or not....
i kept counting but i was getting 22 total rather than 23 and finally after counting 5 times i got 23 total he was literally laughing and asking me whether i got the answer now or whether i was still confused...it was embrassing.
I am suffering from dyscalculia.

NewDawn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Oct 2012, 11:29 am

I have that as well. It's especially annoying when doing maths. I have no problem working out algebra and calculus problems, but I sometimes get the answer wrong because I make a silly mistake in a simple calculation, and when I see the correct answer, I can't for the life of me see what mistake I made. It's like the arithmatics part of my brain is temporarily out of order. Then suddenly I "see" it.

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2012, 12:49 pm

NewDawn wrote:
I have that as well. It's especially annoying when doing maths. I have no problem working out algebra and calculus problems, but I sometimes get the answer wrong because I make a silly mistake in a simple calculation, and when I see the correct answer, I can't for the life of me see what mistake I made. It's like the arithmatics part of my brain is temporarily out of order. Then suddenly I "see" it.

ya the mistake is realised after a while or when someone else does the calculation and gets other answer

emimeni
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2012, 12:50 pm

There's no reason to be embarrassed about something you can't help.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2012, 2:32 pm

I'm really slow at doing math but I usually get the right answer when work it out. when I do it on the fly I will normally be wrong unless its an equation that I do a lot

47x
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Oct 2012, 4:44 pm

I also have it. My brain usually freezes when I try to do simple math like 13+21 or sometimes when I'm exhausted mentally..even 1+2 can be a challenge.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2012, 8:35 pm

I've always been horrible with math. A total train wreck. I actually walked out of a job because I couldn't add up the cash register at the end of the day.

Here are the symptoms listed by Wikipedia. Every single one of them applies to me:

Quote:
Frequent difficulties with arithmetic

Difficulty with everyday tasks like reading analog clocks

Inability to comprehend financial planning or budgeting, sometimes even at a basic level; for example, estimating the cost of the items in a shopping basket or balancing a checkbook

Difficulty with multiplication-tables, and subtraction-tables, addition tables, division tables, mental arithmetic, etc.

Difficulty with conceptualizing time and judging the passing of time. May be chronically late or early

Particularly problems with differentiating between left and right

Inability to visualize mentally

Difficulty reading musical notation

Might do exceptionally well in a writing-related field — authors and journalists are more likely than average to have the disorder

Difficulty navigating or mentally "turning" the map to face the current direction rather than the common North=Top usage

Having particular difficulty mentally estimating the measurement of an object or distance (e.g., whether something is 10 or 20 feet (3 or 6 meters) away).

Often unable to grasp and remember mathematical concepts, rules, formulae, and sequences

Inability to concentrate on mentally intensive tasks

Low latent inhibition, i.e., over-sensitivity to noise, smell, light and the inability to tune out, filtering unwanted information or impressions.

Might have a well-developed sense of imagination due to this (possibly as cognitive compensation to mathematical-numeric deficits)

Mistaken recollection of names. Poor name/face retrieval. May substitute names beginning with same letter.