Seeing yourself as strong in your specialty area

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

miraclecure1228
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Oct 2012, 9:22 am

Do you ever stop to think about how much strength you have in your obsessive area!? Do you ever appreciate that?

Stoek
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2012, 9:31 am

miraclecure1228 wrote:
Do you ever stop to think about how much strength you have in your obsessive area!? Do you ever appreciate that?

Yes and no, I have more of obsession with numerical patterns. So I'm not focused on one specific area. However I can pick apart certain things almost instantly. It's a good thing however it's hard to communicate which means my brilliance is often overlooked.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2012, 9:34 am

Many of us are world leaders in our special fields.....
yeehaa

miraclecure1228
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Oct 2012, 10:38 am

I'm just sayin'...When you think about it, you DO have strength in something, even if it is a very specific something :)

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2012, 5:47 pm

I comes down to applicability and ease of use
Aspies are a bit like a robot that needs supervision
ADHDers start well then get distracted....

Many of us could thrive in improved growing conditions....

MaKin
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Oct 2012, 5:53 pm

although i may become obsessed with something, i don't always perfect that something. that does not stop me from trying or enjoying, though.

ArthurDent
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Oct 2012, 6:53 pm

For years I have been able to recognize episodes of "Star Trek: The Next Generation" during or in one case immediately after the teaser (this applies, I have recently discovered to the original series to a slightly lesser extent), I am also reasonably good as identifying canon Starfleet ship classes. These "strengths" are completely useless in the real world unless I woke up one morning in the Star Trek universe, in fact I should be greatly ashamed of myself for wasting time on such trivial pursuits, time which should have been used to get a college education. Who knows, I might even have a career instead of a dead-end job and no future.

ArthurDent
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Oct 2012, 6:56 pm

For years I have been able to recognize episodes of "Star Trek: The Next Generation" during or in one case immediately after the teaser (this applies, I have recently discovered to the original series to a slightly lesser extent), I am also reasonably good as identifying canon Starfleet ship classes. These "strengths" are completely useless in the real world unless I woke up one morning in the Star Trek universe, in fact I should be greatly ashamed of myself for wasting time on such trivial pursuits, time which should have been used to get a college education. Who knows, I might even have a career instead of a dead-end job and no future.

onks
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Oct 2012, 2:12 am

miraclecure1228 wrote:

Yes. Got some pretty nice feedback for my language skills. Doesn't help me though, really. Just in talking to people this will make a plus.
Dont need it in my job, really.

Languages are a big fake criteria. They'd possibly select people after their language abilities,
but in their job just very few people will use their skills. English and the countries language are maybe an exception.

Then I have job related special interests. Those are not really appreciated either, because too obsessive, or more: too advanced for most people to understand the value.
They might even see this as a disadvantage because you'd dig too deep into the material.

CantExplain
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Oct 2012, 3:49 am

I am very good at my job, and people do recognise that.

onks
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Oct 2012, 4:06 am

CantExplain wrote:
I am very good at my job, and people do recognise that.

Lucky you.

Well I work at the university(still, well soon not anymore). A place full of people that just do how it is supposed to be done. Dont think, just do.
Dont want to understand, cannot understand,
copy behaviour from articles modify a bit and here you go.

I try to understand the whole thing. Involving some of the derivations and that stuff.
Nobody interested in those skills. Nobody interested in cross-science.
I know that I am good in my field. But, if you dont conform then thats nothing.

Nobody really interested in changing anything. I must say that the situation at universities seems to be going rapidly downhill.
Well let them go with their numbers and with their short time research, immediate profit things.

Theyll fail, all universities, because they are not standing up for the independence from politics. Im frustrated Ill leave quite soon anyway.
Im fed up with all these guys that think through using devices and programs without knowing the background well enough theyll be top researchers
Fed up of that world where devices count more than the employees,
where youll live in permanent fear that there wont be another project for you.
An employer that treats you like s**t.
Well rants, but I can tell you I am not the only one. Even NTs get freaked out on this

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2012, 5:52 am

I am fully in touch with my awesomeness.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2012, 5:57 am

it feeds me and is often sought by others so i apreciate the fact that i can use it.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

Prometheus34572
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Oct 2012, 7:00 am

I'm "very" competitive in nature, its one of the things that motivates/drives me. I dont really have that one area I'm good at that stands out. In my mind I am good at anything that I try, it just simply irritates me the most when someone is superior to me in even something so miniscule, therefore I try to perfect anything I put effort into doing. Basically I am good at whatever it is I'm doing at the time, but the moment another challenge arises it is most likely that I will forget all about the skills I have just acquired and move on to perfecting another thing. I guess my strength then is my craving to strive for perfection and superiority in anything that I try doing, it is a curse and a gift.

But so far, even the very basics in understanding human behaviour elude's me. Until today I still watch and examine humans, they are most fascinating. Sometimes however they make me angry without doing anything directly negative towards me, I guess I just envy them, how they can interact so easily with one another and thrive in society without as much effort.

onks
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Oct 2012, 8:01 am

Prometheus34572 wrote:
I'm "very" competitive in nature, its one of the things that motivates/drives me. I dont really have that one area I'm good at that stands out. In my mind I am good at anything that I try, it just simply irritates me the most when someone is superior to me in even something so miniscule, therefore I try to perfect anything I put effort into doing. Basically I am good at whatever it is I'm doing at the time, but the moment another challenge arises it is most likely that I will forget all about the skills I have just acquired and move on to perfecting another thing. I guess my strength then is my craving to strive for perfection and superiority in anything that I try doing, it is a curse and a gift.

But so far, even the very basics in understanding human behaviour elude's me. Until today I still watch and examine humans, they are most fascinating. Sometimes however they make me angry without doing anything directly negative towards me, I guess I just envy them, how they can interact so easily with one another and thrive in society without as much effort.

I mean to wanting to be the best in the world is quite a thing. Very difficult to be better than professionals form that area already. I think it is already more than sufficient to be much better than the average with a thing. Whether you are best or not is also not really objective.

And to be very good you should know your constraints or actually more the constraints of that thing that you are into.

I think aspies are though usually perfect for mastering something, theyd just dig and dig until they find something reasonable which is very well sound standing.

Id never want to really go for being the best, thats too exhausting. But I like to get it to higher levels, commonly.

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2012, 10:54 am

My special interests and encyclopedic memory for facts are my only real strengths. I value and appreciate these strengths every day. They are what make me unique and have the talents that I do.

Nash: Is there a difference?