Dating tips for guys for the first ever date.

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

ThinkingMonkey
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Oct 2012, 10:49 am

Dating tips for a guy who may have his first ever date in future.

Couldn't spot any tips for first time daters here..

P.S. I am straight.

Last edited by ThinkingMonkey on 28 Oct 2012, 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2012, 11:03 am

BATHE! Poor hygiene will kill your chances of a second date almost as fast as having no first date at all.

Dress as if you are going to a job interview, because you are! She's interviewing you for the position of "lover".

Drive your own car, preferably after you've cleaned it and detailed the interior.

Keep your credit card handy, but carry at least $200 in cash on you at all times.

Leave the anger and hostility at home, no matter who it's directed against.

Let her know, in a subtle manner, that you'd like to be a father someday.

Never let her see you cry.

Offer your arm when walking (like a gentleman), but let her take your hand if she wants to.

Show respect for her, her parents, her friends, and her interests (even if you can't stand them).

Take her home at a reasonable hour (whatever she says it is).

Thank her for a great time, and say it like you mean it.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ThinkingMonkey
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Oct 2012, 11:12 am

Fnord wrote:
Dress as if you are going to a job interview, because you are! She's interviewing you for the position of "lover".

Isn't it also an interview for them?
Also read the following on a site : The article : 10 First Date Tips for the Modern Gentleman

Embrace your inner weird
A lot of people tend to go all glossy on dates. Sort of like a job interview, you really just want to seem appealing. This is a mistake. First, you actually become less attractive by paving over what sets you apart... But, more importantly, if you highlight your idiosyncrasies, you've got a better shot of finding a girl that compliments you, and tolerates your obsession with minimalist free jazz .

Fnord wrote:

On the first date?
Fnord wrote:

Why will guy try to cry the first date?

Thanks for the other tips..

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2012, 11:20 am

ThinkingMonkey wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Also read the following on a site : The article : 10 First Date Tips for the Modern Gentleman

Embrace your inner weird
A lot of people tend to go all glossy on dates. Sort of like a job interview, you really just want to seem appealing. This is a mistake. First, you actually become less attractive by paving over what sets you apart... But, more importantly, if you highlight your idiosyncrasies, you've got a better shot of finding a girl that compliments you, and tolerates your obsession with minimalist free jazz .

Fnord wrote:

On the first date?
Fnord wrote:

Girls hold the bargaining power on dates, just like employers hold the bargaining power in a job interview. If you do not qualify, she'll always have other options just around the corner.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2012, 11:27 am

ThinkingMonkey wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Irrelevant. It's up to you to present yourself in the best possible way. If she dresses like a line-worker and you dress like an office manager, then you will have made the better impression -- never come across as a loser.

ThinkingMonkey wrote:
Fnord wrote:
On the first date?

Yes. A lot of women will not have a second date with a man who expresses disinterest in that level of commitment ... or in children.

ThinkingMonkey wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Irrelevant. Showing any emotion other than joy will sabotage your chances for a second date.

ThinkingMonkey wrote:

You're welcome ... for all of them.

My dating days may be over, but I'm likely twice your age, and with a proportionate amount of dating experience.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ThinkingMonkey
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Oct 2012, 11:34 am

Kurgan wrote:
Girls hold the bargaining power on dates, just like employers hold the bargaining power in a job interview. If you do not qualify, she'll always have other options just around the corner.

hmmm.. Seems a bit like a bias..

ThinkingMonkey
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Oct 2012, 11:38 am

Fnord wrote:
Irrelevant. It's up to you to present yourself in the best possible way. If she dresses like a line-worker and you dress like an office manager, then you will have made the better impression -- never come across as a loser.

hmmm.. I think I get it.
Fnord wrote:
Yes. A lot of women will not have a second date with a man who expresses disinterest in that level of commitment ... or in children.

oh!
Fnord wrote:
Irrelevant. Showing any emotion other than joy will sabotage your chances for a second date.

again, oh!
Fnord wrote:
My dating days may be over, but I'm likely twice your age, and with a proportionate amount of dating experience.

Thanks for all the tips.

ComradeKael
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Oct 2012, 11:50 am

A knowledge of poetry is always a plus.

ThinkingMonkey
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Oct 2012, 12:11 pm

ComradeKael wrote:
A knowledge of poetry is always a plus.

hmmm.. am Not that good at it! But at time time I can weave words quite well..

MacDragard
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2012, 1:35 pm

How about...

Don't tell your mother.

ThinkingMonkey
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Oct 2012, 2:02 pm

MacDragard wrote:
How about...

Don't tell your mother.

ha ha! That's not going to happen.. cos I am living independently from about 2.5 years...

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2012, 9:07 pm

Some feedback regarding what I (a woman in her thirties) would prefer. I'm sure other women disagree (and I think there can be different rules for different age groups to an extent), but I'm just commenting to show that some advice isn't universal, so be careful:

Fnord wrote:

Dress how you would normally dress going to the type of venue you are meeting at (restaurant, cafe, etc.). I want to get an idea of how you appear normally, not how you appear at an interview.
Quote:
Keep your credit card handy, but carry at least $200 in cash on you at all times.

Don't insist on paying for everything. If I offer to pay for something, let me.
Quote:

Let her know your intentions regarding parenthood, whether you want to be a father or not. For me, someone who is looking for a partner to have kids with is a negative, so I'd like to know as early as possible whether you have this life plan or not.
Quote:

I think you mean on the first date, which is true (crying on the first date would be rather odd?). But in general, once in a relationship, it is fine.
Quote:
Offer your arm when walking (like a gentleman), but let her take your hand if she wants to.

Is this an American thing? I would not like a man to offer his arm on a first date (or ever really, it doesn't tend to happen here).
Quote:
Thank her for a great time, and say it like you mean it.

But don't ask about catching up again. It puts her on the spot if she is not interested, or hasn't decided yet. She is likely to agree to something just to get the awkwardness over with, and that leaves you with false hope.