Why I don't believe in The Aspergers Theory

Page 3 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2012, 9:36 pm

Quote:
The only people who have any say in the matter are graduate students who study in the field, and 98% of them agree that man-made global warming is occurring.

This is so bizarre that it rivals anything said here before in terms of idiocy.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

29 Oct 2012, 9:53 pm

AnotherKind wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
I think people like to believe that particular conditions are overdiagnosed, but I have no idea what they get out of such a belief.

I have no idea why people believe that doctors are gods and they can't be wrong. Have you heard of autosuggestion, subjectivity, acting?
Do they make blood tests, mri scans and sh** to prove their diagnosis have a real basis? NO.
Appearances can be faked easily and people are good at making up stories.

I said nothing about doctors not being wrong, but so can perceptions - and the perceptual bias that a condition is being overdiagnosed seems more prevalent than what seems to be the reality, that the condition is underdiagnosed.

A diagnosis may not have an MRI, blood test, etc. but that doesn't mean it doesn't have a real basis. Such diagnoses are made by observing and interacting with clients, sometimes in fairly involved ways (such as the ADI-R and ADOS).

It seems peculiar to me to invoke autosuggestion, subjectivity, etc. in terms of discrediting diagnoses, but somehow the perception that overdiagnosis is a real thing is not subject to autosuggestion, subjectivity? Consider a common cultural narrative about primarily childhood diagnoses such as autism and ADHD is that they exist to give parents an excuse for their child's behavior without taking responsibility for their poor parenting. Such a narrative lends itself to belief in overdiagnosis or even belief in the idea that these disorders do not exist. It is also subjective and suggestive, and does not require direct interaction with those who are diagnosed with these conditions, except perhaps briefly. Brief interactions are subject to fundamental attribution errors in which behavior is misattributed to personality flaws when it may be a brief reaction to a temporary stressor or fit into a larger pattern of behavior with a more thorough and empirically valid explanation.

So it's not really about thinking that doctors are always right, but rather wondering why they might be considered systematically wrong in a particular way. Which obvious statistical discrepancies are you talking about?

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

29 Oct 2012, 9:54 pm

eric76 wrote:
Quote:
The only people who have any say in the matter are graduate students who study in the field, and 98% of them agree that man-made global warming is occurring.

I disagree. It is almost certainly factually incorrect, but the gist of the statement is true: People who actually work in the field of climate science largely agree that climate change is real, and presents real dangers. There really is no scientific consensus that climate change isn't happening.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2012, 10:10 pm

Verdandi wrote:
eric76 wrote:
Quote:

I disagree. It is almost certainly factually incorrect, but the gist of the statement is true: People who actually work in the field of climate science largely agree that climate change is real, and presents real dangers. There really is no scientific consensus that climate change isn't happening.

Note that the statement limited it to graduate students and claimed that 98% of them agreed that it is occurring.

As far as presenting real dangers, that is largely imagination. Very little research has really been done to find out the effects. What we do know is from history and that is that a warmer Earth is a much more productive Earth and far more comfortable. The gross panic that so many people are engaging in is panic about change that they do not understand. If they understood the change, they would likely welcome most of it.

DerStadtschutz
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2012, 10:23 pm

eric76 wrote:
Quote:
but global warming will harm all future generations.

In reality, Global Warming is likely to be of immense benefit to mankind.

Global Warming is something we need, not a disaster. There is no need to panic about change.

I'd like to point out here that the earth is always going thru changes beyond our control. If there is global warming, it probably has very little to do with us.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2012, 11:32 pm

eric76 wrote:

As far as presenting real dangers, that is largely imagination. Very little research has really been done to find out the effects. What we do know is from history and that is that a warmer Earth is a much more productive Earth and far more comfortable. The gross panic that so many people are engaging in is panic about change that they do not understand. If they understood the change, they would likely welcome most of it.

Have you seen the pictures of the damages that Hurricane Sandy has done so far?

The "increased food production" you're talking about - no, that assumes that we have water in the proper places. We're having flooding in areas, and droughts in others.

And that doesn't take into account the other effects on water.

What we know from history is that the earth survives an thrives in many different circumstances, including ones much warmer than we are now.

cooldryplace
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Oct 2012, 11:42 pm

MacDragard wrote:
If you grow up in a big and diverse city, where there are plenty of social events and resources galore, you're more likely to develop better social skills than people who grow up in a small suburban town where the average age is 55 and the most popular hang-out spot is the local Wal-Mart Supercenter.

Quote:
You have to wonder, why is it that the majority of people that are diagnosed with aspergers come from the UK?

Quote:
I know that other than London, the UK doesn't have many urbanized areas and most of the towns/villages are close-knit social cliques that English society makes you feel obligated to be a part of.

Quote:
Most critical is that there is one common trend among people with aspergers: they have overbearing, overprotective, obsessive mothers and either a father that is never around or is abusive.

Quote:
Studies have shown that the root cause of all behavioral problems in children resides with how they are parented.

Quote:
Contrary to popular belief, social skills are just that - skills. People are not born with social and communication skills.

Quote:
The Aspergers Theory however suggests that your personality and your social skills are predetermined at birth

Quote:
even though there is no physical evidence of aspergers even existing - not even an MRI/Cat scan shows abnormalities for people who are diagnosed.

Quote:
Technology also plays a major role in a decline in social skills.

Quote:
Computers are WAY more addictive than crack cocaine, and this became especially true with the advent of the Internet.

Quote:
While it may be more difficult to diagnose someone with aspergers nowadays, kids were being diagnosed left and right back in the early 90s.

Quote:
The brain is way too complex to be restrained, and the mind is capable of anything.

Quote:
Why aren't there major groups out there dedicated to helping specifically people with aspergers develop better social skills?

Quote:
In fact, socializing and communication is one of the biggest things that many people try to help others in and there are so many resources out there, but not once is the aspergers label ever used.

I think these are most of the factual claims you made. Do you, or does anyone, have sources for these?

loner1984
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2012, 11:53 pm

Try and open google earth. Check your area or country and see how little Forrest is left. Compared to the time before humans. We have probably cut down 75% of the world's Forrest if not more. That isgonna have effects. I wa reading how.it now takes over 2000 years to renew the atmosphere something that once.only.took.200.

Its pretty scary and sad how anti and hostile.we are towards Forrest and trees which we need to survive. I don't believe in that we are to small to.cause.problems. we are 6 billion people. Most don't care about the environment.

For all our human intelligents we are the only living being who ruins the earth. All other adapts. It's kinda sad when.you think about it.

Imagine earth today with no humans. How many species would be alive. How much more green and amazing would the.world be like.

If they don't prevent people from getting kids soon. It's gonna be bad in the future.

I.don't mind humanity dying. I just hope.we don't ruin earth.for all the amazing and unique life because of how stupid we are.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2012, 2:49 am

Tuttle wrote:
eric76 wrote:

Have you seen the pictures of the damages that Hurricane Sandy has done so far?

And you have proof that Hurricane Sandy is the product of Global Warming?

I didn't think so.

Quote:
The "increased food production" you're talking about - no, that assumes that we have water in the proper places. We're having flooding in areas, and droughts in others.

And that doesn't take into account the other effects on water.

Did you know that warmer air can carry more moisture?

Quote:
What we know from history is that the earth survives an thrives in many different circumstances, including ones much warmer than we are now.

Particularly when warmer than we are now.

It's no accident that our ancestors began to settle down and create the cradle of civilization at a time when it was about five degrees Fahrenheit warmer than today.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2012, 2:51 am

loner1984 wrote:
Try and open google earth. Check your area or country and see how little Forrest is left. Compared to the time before humans. We have probably cut down 75% of the world's Forrest if not more. That isgonna have effects. I wa reading how.it now takes over 2000 years to renew the atmosphere something that once.only.took.200.

I've read many claims but that doesn't mean that I believe them.

ComradeKael
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Oct 2012, 3:36 am

The OP reminds me of this.

http://www.sonichu.com/cwcki/Asperger_syndrome

Sorry - But it's true.

kotshka
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2012, 5:26 am

Ok so the OP starts by comparing himself to Jesus and then makes a long unsupported rant about how we are all just coddled by our parents or grew up in the wrong type of location and our well-documented neurological difference is just a "theory." Skip to the last page, where everyone is arguing about a hurricane.

Am... Am I the only one who finds this hilariously absurd? Is no one else laughing? Or is it yet again time to bring out the old classic:

Si_82
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2012, 6:04 am

kotshka wrote:
Ok so the OP starts by comparing himself to Jesus and then makes a long unsupported rant about how we are all just coddled by our parents or grew up in the wrong type of location and our well-documented neurological difference is just a "theory." Skip to the last page, where everyone is arguing about a hurricane.

Am... Am I the only one who finds this hilariously absurd? Is no one else laughing? Or is it yet again time to bring out the old classic:

On the contrary, I am finding this whole thing quite amusing. I started of being slightly annoyed with the OP but am now starting to respect him sheerly for what was probably, in trolling terms, a masterpiece. LOL

Alexithymia: 137

ShamelessGit
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2012, 8:59 am

eric76 wrote:
Quote:
but global warming will harm all future generations.

In reality, Global Warming is likely to be of immense benefit to mankind.

First of all, a warmer Earth is a more productive Earth. More food production means that we can feed more people. The real disaster would be Global Cooling as people would be starving and dying of starvation by the millions.

Furthermore, we are very far into the current interglacial warm period. When that ends, we will have a major disaster -- Global Cooling that will wipe out the vast majority of humans by starvation. The hope is that Global Warming can postpone the next Ice Age or at least make it somewhat less severe.

Global Warming is something we need, not a disaster. There is no need to panic about change.

You don't know s**t

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2012, 9:18 am

kotshka wrote:

Im laughing too.

The thread starts out stupid and then degenerates into a vitriolic brawl about a subject that has nothing to with the original post.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

30 Oct 2012, 11:12 am

This thread got off to a very shaky start and now it's disintegrating into insults and off-topic stuff about the environment, it's time to lock it and wave farewell.

OP, when you have something peer-reviewed and published - please feel free to post a link to your work.