Pileated woodpecker

30 Oct 2012, 5:08 am

Are you pro or against?

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

30 Oct 2012, 5:55 am

I could support euthanasia with in reason(terminal illness, locked in syndrome, etc) and it being the wishes of the person involved obviously I guess. Against the death penalty(on the grounds that I don't think it can be administered fairly) and pro-life when it comes to abortion.

Ilka
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2012, 6:15 am

I can see the relationship, but for me these are three different subjects. I do not think the poll should involve the three.

I am pro abortion since I am like 12 years-old. My mom said when I had a child I would change my mind. I have a child. I continue thinking the same. If a woman do not want to have a child she should be able to have an abortion. It is better to have an abortion than to rise an unwanted child, killing it after giving birth, or giving it to adoption, because many kids fall in the cracks (there are not adoptive parents to every child).

I am pro euthanasia, but it is a very sensitive subject. It can be used to kill weak, mentally unstable people without their consent, so I see the issue with euthanasia.

I am against death penalty for several reasons: 1) you cannot trust the justice system since a lot of people is wrongly put in jail (see "Conviction"), 2) I think everyone can change. People should be given the option to change, to become a better human being, to learn about what they did wrong. Death penalty does not allow the criminal to learn.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2012, 7:06 am

Ilka wrote:
I am against death penalty for several reasons: 1) you cannot trust the justice system since a lot of people is wrongly put in jail (see "Conviction"), 2) I think everyone can change. People should be given the option to change, to become a better human being, to learn about what they did wrong. Death penalty does not allow the criminal to learn.

If someone is a clinical psychopath they aren't going to become a better human being; no matter how much couselling they get. I support the death penalty for serial killers, where there is no doubt of their guilt.

I also support euthanasia only on the condition it is the choice of the individual concerned; but here too there should be safeguards to protect those who are "meerely" temporarily clinically depressed. I support euthanasia in cases where people are terminally ill. I watched my mother die an agonising death due to cancer over several months. She suffered terribly and looked like a concentration camp victim by the time she died - a skin covered skeleton.

Regarding abortion, I support that but there needs to be safeguards here too. i.e. not too far into the pregnancy. Abortion should not be allowed to become an alternative to proper contraception.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2012, 7:42 am

i do not care about the matter.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2012, 10:42 am

Pro abortion until about 10 weeks (16 weeks when it comes to Down's syndrome or similar disorders), pro assisted euthanasia and against the death penalty.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2012, 10:54 am

I know my opinions don't matter since I'm Canadian, but I believe in abortion, especially if someone becomes pregnant out of rape or incest. If I were sexually assaulted (which isn't likely in my case unless the guy is blind), I would be more terrified of becoming pregnant than getting HIV or another STD from the horrific experience. In Canada we don't have the death penalty and it's understandable since many people have been jailed for crimes they didn't commit. That's horrible enough but at least you can get your freedom back. You can never get your life back once it's taken away. I also don't understand why it's acceptable to euthanize a dog or cat who is terminally ill and suffering and nothing more can be done, but not a human. What's the difference?

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2012, 11:00 am

I'm not pro-abortion, I'm pro-women.

It amazes me how 'pro-lifers' are the first ones to rally in sending troops to be sent to some desert warzone only to be returned in black bags.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2012, 11:57 am

Well the same can be applied to animals. Can some animals be considered sentient beings so that their slaughter would be considered the moral equivalent of murdering a human? Should vegetarianism be a personal choice or in the name of humanity should we enact laws to protect the lives of these animals? Should there be exemptions to these laws if humans lives are endangered due to malnutrition? What about the rights of the humans. Should the right to eat meat be a fundamental human right or should the animals have a right to be considered sentient beings with human characteristics. Where does sentient life begin? Certainly in a civilized society everyone can agree that killing a chimpanzee for food is wrong because they are so close to being humans but what about other animals such as cattle and lambs?

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2012, 12:09 pm

I'm against abortion, I would happily hang every murderer on death row, and I don't think the government or the medical profession should be allowed to admit euthanasia, maybe make it available at a drug store, and there are other ways for one to personally take ones life.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2012, 9:35 am

androbot2084 wrote:
Well the same can be applied to animals. Can some animals be considered sentient beings so that their slaughter would be considered the moral equivalent of murdering a human? Should vegetarianism be a personal choice or in the name of humanity should we enact laws to protect the lives of these animals? Should there be exemptions to these laws if humans lives are endangered due to malnutrition? What about the rights of the humans. Should the right to eat meat be a fundamental human right or should the animals have a right to be considered sentient beings with human characteristics. Where does sentient life begin? Certainly in a civilized society everyone can agree that killing a chimpanzee for food is wrong because they are so close to being humans but what about other animals such as cattle and lambs?

A sheep has an intelligence roughly equal to that of a chicken and sheep are deliberately bred to be unintelligent and docile. A cow is slightly more intelligent (but still less so than a pig, a horse and most certainly a cat or a dog).

Both the pro-life guild and the pro-choice guild is filled to the brim with fanatics. The former consider embryos with 8 cells equal to humans; the latter often aproves of abortion six months into the trimester and doesn't give a damn about the fact that premature infants younger than that have survived.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2012, 9:40 am

Death Penalty:

There are crimes so heinous that the person doesn't deserve to live in prison on the tax payers dime. Look at that guy in CT who tied the family to their beds and burned the house down. He deserves to die, sorry. There is no reason to put him in prison. There are a lot of good people out there struggling, why should the father of a victim be paying taxes so the murderer gets 3 hots and a cot.

Abortion:

Abortion should NOT be used as a form of birth control, but I'm going to go all the way in banning it.

Euthanasia:

I would prefer to see it decriminalized, but not made legal. I do think terminally ill people should have a choice, but I also feel like we must be careful to make sure that these people don't feel a "responsibility" to off themselves.

Ilka
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2012, 10:49 am

TallyMan wrote:
Regarding abortion, I support that but there needs to be safeguards here too. i.e. not too far into the pregnancy. Abortion should not be allowed to become an alternative to proper contraception.

1. I do not think any doctor would practice an abortion too far into pregnancy. It is dangerous for both the mother and the fetus.
2. I do not think any woman would consider abortion an alternative to proper contraception, because: a) abortion is dangerous, b) having an abortion hurts both physically and emotionally, c) abortion is fairly expensive. There is no contraceptive method 100% secure. You can be careful and even though get pregnant. I have an aunt who got pregnant AFTER getting a tubectomy.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2012, 10:56 am

Ilka wrote:
TallyMan wrote:

1. I do not think any doctor would practice an abortion too far into pregnancy. It is dangerous for both the mother and the fetus.
2. I do not think any woman would consider abortion an alternative to proper contraception, because: a) abortion is dangerous, b) having an abortion hurts both physically and emotionally, c) abortion is fairly expensive. There is no contraceptive method 100% secure. You can be careful and even though get pregnant. I have an aunt who got pregnant AFTER getting a tubectomy.

Doctors in public hospitals have been forced to perform abortions by authorities in the 23. week. These aborted children lived for up to an hour afterwards. For comparison, half of all babies who are born prematurely at this age survive-

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2012, 12:17 pm

Against all. The only caveat I have with abortion is if the mother is going to die in that moment. In that case, you get a negation where no matter what a life will be lost and so there is no clear moral imperative that would preserve life. In all other cases it is not permissible because the value of a human life is not determined by how it came into this world and all life begins at conception.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2012, 1:04 pm

Hardly anyone is pro-choice under all circumstances, and hardly anyone is pro-life under all circumstances. I wish that complex issues could be dealt with in a mature way that doesn't attempt to boil them down into all-or-nothing absolutes.
I am in favor of the legality of abortion, for any reason, during the first trimester. After that, I am only in favor if the mother's life is in danger or the fetus is found to have a catastrophic abnormality.