against abortion but pro death penalty and euthanasia 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
pro euthanazsia but against abortion and death penalty 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
against euthanasia but pro abortion and death penalty 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 32

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2012, 1:04 pm

Hardly anyone is pro-choice under all circumstances, and hardly anyone is pro-life under all circumstances. I wish that complex issues could be dealt with in a mature way that doesn't attempt to boil them down into all-or-nothing absolutes.
I am in favor of the legality of abortion, for any reason, during the first trimester. After that, I am only in favor if the mother's life is in danger or the fetus is found to have a catastrophic abnormality.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2012, 2:05 pm

Ilka wrote:
TallyMan wrote:
Regarding abortion, I support that but there needs to be safeguards here too. i.e. not too far into the pregnancy. Abortion should not be allowed to become an alternative to proper contraception.

1. I do not think any doctor would practice an abortion too far into pregnancy. It is dangerous for both the mother and the fetus.
2. I do not think any woman would consider abortion an alternative to proper contraception, because: a) abortion is dangerous, b) having an abortion hurts both physically and emotionally, c) abortion is fairly expensive. There is no contraceptive method 100% secure. You can be careful and even though get pregnant. I have an aunt who got pregnant AFTER getting a tubectomy.

Doctors did perform partial birth abortions for no medical reason until the Partial Birth Abortion ban was signed.

ChangelingGirl
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2012, 3:08 pm

Against death penalty but pro aobriton and euthaasia. I think no-one shoudl take another person's life unless with explicit consent (hence pro-euthanasia), including the government (hence against DP), but I don't consider a fetus a person until viability (hence mostly pro-abortion).

One-Winged-Angel
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2012, 4:41 pm

Everyone has the right to decide whether or not their life is still worth living. If, for any reason, a person decides they'd rather be dead then they have the right to end their own life. If circumstances make them unable to take that action themselves then they have the right to ask someone else to do it for them, though no one should be obligated to take a life. If their injury or illness is so severe it makes communication impossible, then the decision should fall to next of kin or whoever else was closest to the person.

As for the death penalty, the legal process involved is actually much more expensive than lifetime incarceration. From a purely pragmatic perspective it should be abolished.

Abortion should be an option early in pregnancy. If the mother was ever willing to abort, then it's highly unlikely the infant would have a life worth living. My opinion is different for late-term abortions. Scientific evidence strongly suggests that more developed fetuses (starting around the beginning of the third trimester) are conscious and feel pain, and the methods of late-term abortion are invariably excruciating. At this point I don't care whether the fetus is a human being or something less. I would only support such an abortion if the fetus was found to have a severe genetic defect that would significantly degrade quality of life or kill them anyway.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2012, 4:44 pm

I am pro-chosen.

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2012, 6:12 pm

I said I'm against DP and abortion but for euthanasia. Only in very limited cases though. I generally don't recognize a person's 'right to die' unless they're in extreme physical pain or have a disability so severe it's impossible to enjoy or even experience living.

The problem with making suicide legal and assisted is that if you make suicide easy and painless, more and more people will want to do it, plus most people who commit suicide are psychologically immature or mentally unwell.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

31 Oct 2012, 6:21 pm

Pro-euthanasia, it works in the places it has been legalised.

Pro-abortion, it lowers crime, it prevents unwanted children being born, it reduces stress on parents. A foetus is not as conscious as an adult pig, in fact a new born isn't as much of a person as an adult pig, but most people happily let adult pigs die.

Anti-death penalty, it removes all chance for reform, it doesn't work as a deterrent, it is more expensive than life imprisonment, and too many mistakes are made.

Ilka
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2012, 10:29 am

Kurgan wrote:
Doctors in public hospitals have been forced to perform abortions by authorities in the 23. week. These aborted children lived for up to an hour afterwards. For comparison, half of all babies who are born prematurely at this age survive-

That is horrible! Where is that happening? In China? Doctors in public hospitals in my country are not forced by authorities to perform abortions on women.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2012, 6:08 pm

Ilka wrote:
Kurgan wrote:
Doctors in public hospitals have been forced to perform abortions by authorities in the 23. week. These aborted children lived for up to an hour afterwards. For comparison, half of all babies who are born prematurely at this age survive-

That is horrible! Where is that happening? In China? Doctors in public hospitals in my country are not forced by authorities to perform abortions on women.

Here in Norway, actually... an EEA (de-facto EU) country with a very high standard of living.

http://theoslotimes.com/index.php?optio ... Itemid=666

This is what many pro-life fanatics support. Thankfully, even the radical left found this despicable here and the people who gave a clear signal to this lost their jobs.

"Be careful when you fight the monsters, lest you become one."

Ilka
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2012, 11:31 am

Kurgan wrote:
http://theoslotimes.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3519:aborted-fetuses-had-heartbeat-for-almost-an-hour&catid=142:national-news&Itemid=666

I read the article. That is horrible! I am pro-abortion, but I do not think any woman after the 12th week should be allowed to have an abortion, unless the life of the mother is in danger. Social reasons and criminal offenses are not good enough reasons. A sexual active woman, no matter how poor she is, should know there is a chance she is going to get pregnant and should be responsible enough to have money reserved in case she needs it, and be constantly checking in case she gets pregnant. I do admit many woman do not have signs of being pregnant until it's too late, but they will have to live with it or search for other options. And women subject of criminal offenses should take pregnancy tests and get help to take the best decision. I have a friend victim of rape and she decided to have her child. It is difficult, but she loves him very much and she is glad she had him.