Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2012, 2:31 pm

My older stepbrother listens to gangsta rap and I hate it. It's a bunch of homophobic douchbaggery.

Am I right?

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2012, 2:58 pm

Yes. Sometimes they say clever things, usually their rhymes are very simple, and the things they rap about are appalling and unoriginal. Drugs, alcohol, sex, violence, money, clothes, who's the toughest on the block, misogyny over and over and over again.

blackelk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Oct 2012, 3:06 pm

f**k that . Old 90s gangsta rap is the s**t. NWA, Cypress Hill, Geto Boys, Dr Dre, Ice Cube, etc..

It's also misogynistic and racist, still good s**t though.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2012, 3:41 pm

It's filthy, offensive garbage. I won't waste my time listening to it. As to how I know what it's like if I choose not to listen to it--well, it often pop's up in commercials, on TV shows, and you can sometimes hear it out on the street.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

30 Oct 2012, 4:06 pm

I despise it. I have to ride a disabled van, and it annoys me when the driver is playing that crap on the radio. I ask them to turn it down when I board, then I put in my earplugs so that I can barely hear it.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2012, 4:36 pm

For those who aspire to live in a ghetto, ganster rap might actually be appropriate.

For everyone else, it is a big mistake.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2012, 5:05 pm

<--- Doesn't aspire to live in a ghetto.

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2012, 1:35 am

most of the time, most musicians whose music they consider gangsta rap is absolutely horrid. The few that are good are up there with the greats from other generas. It just depends, and sometimes you get lucky and find a very good one. most of the old stuff is still awesome.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2012, 3:30 am

It just sounds like crap to me.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2012, 5:43 am

questor wrote:
It's filthy, offensive garbage. I won't waste my time listening to it. As to how I know what it's like if I choose not to listen to it--well, it often pop's up in commercials, on TV shows, and you can sometimes hear it out on the street.

Agree and same

BenPritchard
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Oct 2012, 5:52 am

So do I. That's all I have to say! :lol:

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2012, 11:21 am

blackelk wrote:
f**k that . Old 90s gangsta rap is the sh**. NWA, Cypress Hill, Geto Boys, Dr Dre, Ice Cube, etc..

It's also misogynistic and racist, still good sh** though.

Back when rap was music.

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2012, 3:54 pm

I don't enjoy it, myself. And I hate to see little children having it inflicted upon them. They are going to grow up dropping f-bombs and s-bombs and spouting violent, misogynistic drivel without thinking twice about it. An adult can choose his own music, but kids are at the mercy of their parents up to a certain age.

One-Winged-Angel
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2012, 4:12 pm

Out of all the rap music in the world, gangsta rap is about the only kind I can sometimes enjoy. Or even tolerate. Most rap just sounds like a guy getting repeatedly punched in the chest with a bassline in the background.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2012, 9:52 pm

I had a phase where I liked gangsta rap when I was in middle school/high school. I look back and feel like an idiot. After my life changed greatly, I basically wanted to listen to the exact opposite kind of music. I no longer really liked "hard" music very much, so I stopped listening to rap, and most metal, and cut down on rock, too. Basically all those music types remind me of how bad the world is. Especially rap. I guess a big change in my music tastes came from me sorta rediscovering Christianity again, after I became Christian again I just had less desire to hear those types of music. I started liking "girly" techno type music even more.

Corresponding to this change, I also wasn't in high school, nor around people much, so I had nobody to really influence me musically, whereas high school musical taste can very much influence cliques or whatever. But I started listening to eurobeat, then eurodance, then trance, etc, and just didn't listen to rap and the like very much at all after awhile.

So yeah, gangster rap, pretty much all terrible. However, some of it is catchy as all hell, and I do remember rap songs well, though usually not positively. Still, though, I'll think of like Cee-lo's "Wanna be a Baller" or something and give it a listen sometimes for fun. Also, I still am OK with older Outkast actually. Their first ATLiens album is very good, but it's not that "gangster" really. I'm OK with underground rap to a point, too, just it's not stuff I really like, care much about anymore.

I got more into R&B, too. I like older R&B quite a bit, I especially like some of the New Jack Swing type stuff, ala Bobby Brown. I'd pretty much rather listen to this,
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbL2lMn34Oo[/youtube], anyday of the week over rap. It's got the same funkiness, but sounds more pleasant. Also, even the good rap beats, like stuff like Dr. Dre and whatnot, is pretty much just stolen directly or stolen stylewise (or Suge Knight kidnapped George Clinton and made him make beats for him) from the old funk music of the 70s. So in that case, it's better if you wanna hear that, to go straight to the source.
Lakeside - Fantastic Voyage
Coolio got that song and rapped over it, not that the Coolio song is really bad or anything, but yeah.

But yeah, gangsta rap, not good music, and overall a very negative influence on society.

HeWhoTheGodsDetest
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Nov 2012, 6:27 pm

Hate gangsta rap? Congratulations! You have an IQ above 70.

- Robert Downey Jr. as Kirk Lazarus as Sergeant Four Leaf