The Quatermass Book-Reading Blog 8: Lucky Number for Chinese

Page 3 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2013, 7:45 am

Book 31...

REVIEW: Akira, volume 6 by Katsuhiro Otomo

And now, at long last, I have concluded my journey through the manga version of Akira. Not the greatest of manga works, but it was still interesting enough for me to read all the way to the end, but I was hoping that the end would give some sort of payoff. Would it? Or would it collapse under its own bloated weight?

The final battle begins. The outside world has begun its plans to kill Akira and Tetsuo. And while Kei prepares herself to become a living channel for the other Espers' psychic powers, Kaneda begins his assault on Tetsuo. But Tetsuo is beginning to lose control over his immense powers, and when his lover Kaori is killed by his treacherous lieutenants, Tetsuo begins to lose himself completely to the power, with horrifying results. As the battles rage across Neo Tokyo, nothing is certain. It might end with the destruction of Neo Tokyo...or the destruction of the world...

The story enters its climax, and while much of this volume is nothing but action set pieces and fight scenes both physical and psychic, there is still a lot that adds to this volume. We have an interesting discussion of the source of psychic power, and what Akira may have been trying to achieve. And the ending is surprisingly upbeat, despite the grimness of the story.

All the surviving characters get their moments in the sun. This is where heroism comes into play. The Colonel, Kei, Kaneda, and Miyako show their willingness to die to stop Tetsuo and Akira. Tetsuo himself gets some pretty badass moments, and shows some more human elements, even when fighting Kaneda. And Akira, while getting creepier, finally shows some more personality towards the end, and there's a heartwarming sequence or two with him and the other Espers.

All in all, the final volume of Akira brought things to a mostly satisfying conclusion. A pity the series as a whole didn't quite reach the heights of this volume, but there you go.

9/10

First words: I've drifted into the Western Sector.

Last words: (Not recorded due to spoilers)

On sabbatical...

Anarbaculardrop
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2013, 3:54 pm

A few Graphic Novels to read, if you want to:
[img][800:1024]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8221/8339635882_1545db0ea1_b.jpg[/img]
Please note that, if you haven't read the first Amulet book, the Stonekeepers, then it won't make any sense at all, so before reading the second and third, please read the first. It will make much, MUCH more sense.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2013, 4:43 am

Ugh...I don't take suggestions for reading material. I thought I made that quite clear on the first page of this thread, and all other book-reading blogs I have done. On occasion, I might solicit suggestions, but really, I look at stuff at my own pace and motivation.

Anyway, I've got a sh**load of stuff to read, and a low motivation to read them. I have one book that I'm nearly finished with, the making-of book for Game of Thrones, and then, there's a couple of library books that I intend to read: Banewreaker, and Furies of Calderon. I've also got the second and last volume of Batman: Hush ready at my local library.

On sabbatical...

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2013, 5:35 am

Book 32...

REVIEW: Inside HBO's Game of Thrones by Bryan Cogman

Jeez, I am reading a lot of making-of books for this book-reading blog, aren't I? So it is rather inevitable that I go into one for the one based on the adaptation of one of my favourite book series. Game of Thrones is one of the best adaptations of a novel series of all time, so one should hope that this book follows the same high standard...

Perhaps one of the most ambitious and successful TV shows ever is Game of Thrones. An adaptation of George RR Martin's book series A Song of Ice and Fire, the series tells of the story of the kingdom of Westeros, the political conflict that drives it, a threat growing in the north, and exiled claimants to the throne preparing to return. This book details the making of the series, with interviews with cast and crew discussing what it is like to live and breathe in a fantasy world...

Like I pointed out before, making-of books often have a problem of balancing the style (or rather, the presentation), and the substance (that is, actual making-of information) of the book. Inside HBO's Game of Thrones is no different, and perhaps lacks enough substance, surprising, given that it is currently two series of 10 episodes long. It's got lots of glossy pictures, yes, but it lacks a certain amount of substance. I get the feeling that it could have been somewhat more comprehensive, not least because of the richness of the TV show and the books it was based on.

Even so, the interviews that comprise the majority of the text are quite informative, with some interesting kernels of information that I didn't know. And the presentation of the book does go a long way to bringing it up to scratch. It's not actually bad as much as mildly disappointing. I wanted more out of this book, and unfortunately, I didn't get it.

This book, while not quite as great as other making-of books, and certainly a disappointment compared to other books relating to A Song of Ice and Fire, is still a good one. Fans of the series may like it, and it would certainly be a good way for someone interested in the show, but not quite watching it, to read up on it.

8.5/10

First words: David Benioff and DB Weiss are brave men or mad men.

Last words: I wish more of us did.

On sabbatical...

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2013, 3:08 am

Book 33...

REVIEW: Batman: Hush, Volume 2 by Jeph Loeb, Jim Lee, and Scott Williams

And now, finally, after some waiting, I come to the second, and final volume of Batman: Hush. After being a little disappointed by the initial volume, I was hoping that there would be some sort of payoff with the second volume. But expectations and reality are two different things, and it may not necessarily turn out well...

Batman is being targeted. Someone is attacking him through his oldest friends and foes. When Thomas Elliot is apparently murdered by the Joker, Batman, helped by Catwoman, Oracle, Nightwing and Robin, step things up a gear. Batman soon begins to trust Catwoman with a lot more than he intended, but even that is a distraction. Who is the mysterious Hush? Could he be someone Batman thought dead? And how does he know who Batman really is?

Okay, so the second volume was of distinctively higher quality than the first, especially considering the payoff. And this volume also deals with the increasing tension between Batman and Catwoman, where things are not quite resolved, but nonetheless add an excellent dimension of character. The payoff as to who the main villain really is is slightly dissatisfying, if only because we never see under the bandages, although there is confirmation later in the story.

The characters are all fairly decent, but Catwoman and Batman himself are perhaps the most interesting in this volume, along with Harvey Dent and the Riddler, whose involvement in the affair was surprising, but works quite well. A pity that the story is far more of an excuse to bring back the old rogues' gallery, albeit in a good way. It just feels a little more like well-written fanservice than a deeper drama. But maybe I am looking at it the wrong way.

Batman: Hush overall was a good and entertaining story. Not as great as I hoped, but good enough.

8.5/10

First words: The Gotham City Opera House.

Last words: Someday....

On sabbatical...

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2013, 6:53 am

Book 34...

REVIEW: Banewreaker by Jacqueline Carey

Well, here's a proper fiction book that's been some time in the reading. A fantasy work, Banewreaker, the first book of the Sundering duology, is supposed to be a revision, of sorts, of The Lord of the Rings, only that the Sauron/Morgoth equivalent is not evil. An intriguing concept, but would it have legs?

Lord Satoris, the Third-Born of the Shapers of the World of Urulat, is now feared and loathed by many, not least by his First-Born brother, Lord Haomane. Be that as it may, Satoris has kept those who swear allegiance to him under his protection, from Fjeltrolls to the insane. Chief amongst his lieutenants is Tanaros Blacksword, a man who murdered his wife and his king when he found them having an affair. Haomane fears the Godslayer, a weapon in Satoris' possession that can kill even Shapers, and so has set into motion a prophecy, a prophecy by which Cerelinde, the Lady of the Ellylon, must be wed to the last High King of Men, Aracus Altorus, the son of the king and wife that Tanaros slew. Tanaros is sent to abduct Cerelinde, and thus sets into motion a chain of events that will end in war...

As a story concept, it's a fairly good one, turning many conventions of fantasy on its head, and it does it pretty well. Indeed, with the exception of the Shapers, barring Satoris, there are no good guys or bad guys, just shades of murky grey. However, the story does mimick something of Tolkien's style. By that, I mean that it is a hard slog of a book that sometimes threatens to bore me.

Of the characters, Satoris, Tanaros, Lilias, and Cerelinde are the only ones who truly stand out for me. The rest are mostly fine, although some are a little too close to Tolkien's archetypes for comfort at times, and the Frodo-alike is actually rather dull. But those four mentioned above are perhaps the more noteworthy characters in Banewreaker.

Banewreaker is good. Not great, but good enough. It leaves perhaps too much in the air, and I'm not quite sure whether I want to go to the trouble of reading the sequel, though.

8.5/10

First words: The place was called Gorgantum.

Last words: (Not recorded due to spoilers)

On sabbatical...

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2013, 2:08 am

Book 35...

REVIEW: 20th Century Boys, volume 1: Friends by Naoki Urasawa

I have encountered Naoki Urasawa's work before. I read the first volume of his Astro Boy-derived work, Pluto, a remake of a noted story arc from Osamu Tezuka's famed manga, as well as the first five volumes of Monster, a brilliant thriller (whose readings were cut short because the next volume I wanted to read went out of print, and has been ever since). But I haven't tried going for 20th Century Boys, an unusual science fiction and mystery book. Unfortunately, the first volume is perhaps the last I will read and review, due to the lack of continuous volumes, so here's hoping...

In 1969, a group of young Japanese kids create a hideout in an empty field, and a lasting emblem, a symbol of their friendship and their pledge to defend the world. In 1997, one of them, Kenji Endo, is a failed wannabe rock musician who is now stuck running a convenience store while looking after his missing sister's baby, and dealing with his cantankerous, opinionated mother. But soon, Kenji starts seeing the symbol he and his friends created, a symbol being used by Friend, the leader of a strange cult. And then, one of their number, Saburou Kido, AKA Donkey, commits suicide. What was Donkey's link to Friend? Indeed, who is Friend? And why does he use the same symbol the group of kids used all those years ago?

20th Century Boys is rather hard to describe, although the general aspects of Stephen King's novel It, albeit as a mystery novel rather than an out-and-out horror novel, seem to come through. This is about a group of youths as kids, and as adults, and how that affects the world, or at least their immediate vicinity. The story is rather slow-paced, so there aren't any real grand revelations, and there are some aspects that are rather annoying, to be frank. But what there is is quality, and fires up the appetite.

Even so, I have to admit that not all of the characters are interesting. Kenji and Donkey are perhaps the most interesting, as well as the enigmatic Friend and the briefly-appearing but nonetheless funny Yukiji (whose introduction scene is filled with innuendo...until you get to the punchline). The others are less notable, although they are possibly being set up for later parts of the story, and Kenji's mother is irritating to the extreme.

20th Century Boys is looking promising, but it's a pity that I won't be able to continue with it. Even so, while too short to have any major revelations, and still fairly average, it's still promising, if only because of the clear threads for a long game, and that it's by Naoki Urasawa.

8.5/10

First words: 1973

Last words: Yukiji?

On sabbatical...

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2013, 5:50 am

Book 36...

REVIEW: Apocalypse on the Set: Nine Disastrous Film Productions by Ben Taylor

Some time ago, between book-reading blogs, I came across a book called Fiasco by James Robert Parish. This book was about famous flops from the movies, like Cleopatra, Waterworld, Battlefield Earth, and The Chase, and how they came into being, usually in a painful and torturous manner, fuelled by ego, excess, and money. My interest in the train wrecks of Hollywood was aroused, and I eventually resolved to track down this book after spotting it by chance. And now, finally, I have it...

Apocalypse on the Set tells the story not of film flops in particular, but rather, of movies where things went wrong, and badly. Sometimes, it is clashes between cast and crew. Other times, it is the tragedy of on-screen accidents, like the death of Vince Morrow and two child actors on the set of The Twilight Zone: The Movie, or Brandon Lee on the set of The Crow. At yet other times, it's how the pressures of making ambitious films that nearly end up crippling them. And then, there is the just plain bizarre: Pulgasori, a magnum opus kaiju film commissioned by Kim Jong-Il in the 1980s using a kidnapped South Korean director and his divorced former starlet wife.

Every case study present in this book is interesting, and, with the exception of Pulgasori, usually fairly well-known. Most people know of the trials and travails involved in the creation of Waterworld and Apocalypse Now. The emphasis of the studies vary. Sometimes, they take a general look at what happened, while others pinpoint a more specific incident that did in the filming. The book is interesting enough to retain one's interest.

That being said, the case studies could have been a little more substantial. Maybe doing so would mean a separate book for each movie, but I feel that there is more to say about many of the case studies. And more often than not, the pithy little anecdotes related by Taylor at the start of each chapter has marginal relevance to the later parts of the chapters.

Overall, Apocalypse on the Set was a good, but not great book. It certainly didn't reach the heights of Fiasco. A pity, that.

8.5/10

First words: There is nothing easy about making a film.

Last words: The process of making movies continues to exact an enormous toll on the health, finances and psyche of all involved.

On sabbatical...

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2013, 12:08 am

Book 37...

REVIEW: Naruto, volume 1 by Masashi Kishimoto

Although I enjoy manga and anime, I'm not sure whether I count as an otaku or anything similar. My personal preferences actually run to British TV, particularly science fiction. But every now and then, I like to dip my toes, and it's about time that I try my first bite of the famous ninja manga Naruto...

In the ninja village of Konohagakure, or the 'Village Hidden in the Leaves', a fox demon with nine tails claimed the life of the Fourth Hokage, a powerful ninja, but not before he sealed the demon within the body of a newborn child. Twelve years later, that child, Naruto Uzumaki is an outcast, not knowing that the demon sealed within him is the reaosn he is shunned by the adults of the village, and why, by osmosis, he is shunned by their children. He gets his own back by playing pranks on the villagers. But when one of the villagers takes it upon himself to try and frame Naruto and have him murdered, Naruto learns the truth, and finally graduates from ninja school. But teamed up with the sullen Sasuke, and the mercurial Sakura, Naruto's troubles are only just beginning, especially under the tutelage of famed shinobi teacher Kakashi...

I think part of the problem with what they call shounen manga is that they emphasize, much like an action film, spectacle and conflict over character and story, especially in the initial stages of a serial. Naruto is no exception, not exactly having the deepest of storylines. Yet despite this, it still manages to be highly entertaining and even funny, even if the humour tends to be rather typical of manga.

Of the characters, what seems to be set as the main trio seem rather like stereotypes, albeit interesting enough in their own way. Naruto and Sasuke are typical 'idiot hero' and 'sullen hero' archetypes respectively, although what has been seen of Naruto's past so far explains a lot, and irritating as Naruto is, he is often more entertaining than irritating. Sakura, so far, isn't great. Not bad, but not great. Hopefully, more development to come. Kakashi is by far a more interesting character, a ldi-back, but paradoxically strict and powerful teacher. The art is quite dynamic, but there's a glaring continuity issue in the very first chapter, with Master Iruka ending up with a shuriken in his back that it isn't completely clear where it came from (it's obvious, but there was no clue in the artwork given the dynamics of the art).

Naruto was entertaining enough, and I might continue on to later volumes. But it ain't the best of manga.

8/10

First words: Once upon a time, there lived a fox spirit with nine tails.

Last words: ! !!?

On sabbatical...

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2013, 5:40 pm

I dunno whether this is going to be the last review of the book-reading blog. I'm losing interest and motivation, in favour of the other review blogs out there...

On sabbatical...

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2013, 12:59 am

Okay, I can manage another book...

Book 38...

REVIEW: The Compleat Ankh-Morpork by Terry Pratchett, Lyn Pratchett, and the Discworld Emporium

After the announcement of suffering from Alzheimers', Terry Pratchett has slowed a certain amount of his output somewhat, although last year saw the release of three books: A Blink of the Screen, a short story compilation; The Long Earth, a collaboration with Stephen Baxter; and Dodger, a historical novel. However, he has also released other books, including this guidebook, a map of Ankh-Morpork...

The Compleat Ankh-Morpork is a guidebook, directory, and map to that vast city of the Discworld, Ankh-Morpork. With a wonderful map, a series of directories showing the best places to visit and stay, and a number of ads, it is touted as the premiere map of this wonderful city.

...Except it's perhaps worth pointing out that this has been done before. The Streets of Ankh-Morpork was a collaboration between Stephen Briggs, Pratchett, and illustrator Stephen Player, and was an earlier attempt to map a city that Pratchett himself claimed was unmappable. I get the feeling that this is merely an attempt to further milk the cash cow.

Which is by no means saying that this book is bad. To the contrary, it's much more detailed than the earlier work, and has a significantly higher amount of background than the previous work. It is also presented far better, and has a sense of humour throughout that ranges from the sophisticated to the frankly ribald. It's not as great as Pratchett's works can be, although this is partly because of the nature of the work. Humour is present, but it's, understandably, not a particularly deep work.

The Compleat Ankh-Morpork is a good enough work for Pratchett fans, although they may want to think carefully about shelling out for this book. It's mostly for the completists...or should that be compleatists? :roll:

8.5/10

First words: We lay before you this most comprehensive gazetteer encompassing all the streets of Ankh-Morpork, as well as information on its principal business, hotels, taverns, inns and places of entertainment and refreshment, enhanced by the all-new and compleat map of our great city state.

Last words: (Not applicable: this is a guide book/directory!)

On sabbatical...

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2013, 2:32 am

Book 39...

REVIEW: Naruto, volume 2: The Worst Client by Masashi Kishimoto

Having dipped my toe into Naruto (hey, that rhymes!), I've decided to continue my journey through the world of ninja and adventure that the series promises. I mean, not great stories, but it seemed promising enough as a diversion. So, having left the series on a cliffhanger, I think it's now time to continue...

Noted ninja teacher Kakashi has failed the boisterous Naruto, the sullen Sasuke, and the changeable Sakura after their first test, lambasting them for their lack of teamwork. Giving them a rather more strict task, they seem in danger of failing, only to pass a secret test of character. They are now low-level ninja under a teacher and supervisor who, until now, has failed their students. But when they get sick of rather boring ninja tasks, they are hired to escort an obstreperous old bridge builder back to his village, only to find themselves out of their depth when vicious ninjas attack them. And soon, they are confronted by the brutal Momochi Zabuza, one of the most deadly and murderous ninja from the Hidden Mist Village...

Okay, Naruto is your pretty typical action manga, less plot and more action. This isn't a bad thing, as I have said before. Naruto is pretty entertaining, and I get the feeling that, with the conclusion of the first test of Naruto and his fellow students and the first showing of life outside the Konoha Village, we are beginning to get to the meat and potatoes of the story. But you feel that a little more substance could be added at times. This is the literary equivalent of fast food, more calories than nutrition, though its take-home message of teamwork and friendship is still a good one.

The characters are beginning to fill out. Although Sasuke and Sakura aren't quite filling out, save for their actions during Kakashi's test, Naruto and Kakashi are both filling out nicely, and we have more than a few intriguing antagonists too, including the bloodthirsty Zabuza, and the rather more fey and effeminate Haku, though the former is rather monolithic. The art works well for such a series, dynamic and filled with action.

As I said before, Naruto is, at best, the literary equivalent of fast food. But it's still enjoyable enough by itself.

8/10

First words: Give it up.

Last words: We climb trees!

On sabbatical...

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2013, 11:32 pm

Book 40...

REVIEW: The Making of The Empire Strikes Back by J.W Rinzler

Earlier, in a previous book-reading blog, I read The Making of Star Wars, an in-depth look at the making of the original Star Wars film, and the trials and travails cast and crew went through. While rather meandering and dryly written at times, it was nonetheless an interesting tome. I wish I had given it a better score, frankly. But now I have come to the story of the sequel...

The Making of The Empire Strikes Back is the story about how, buoyed by the success of the original Star Wars film, George Lucas began the task of writing a sequel. But any thoughts that it might be easier than the original were put paid. From location filming in Norway to Esltree Studios in England, and the work of ILM in the US, the making of The Empire Strikes Back was hampered by blizzards, bog sets, and bank loan agents...

I think one of the advantages of this book compared to the first making-of book for Star Wars is that it isn't as bogged down in Lucas' history, and the rather painful process of watching the screenplay take shape. It starts from the events surrounding the release of Star Wars, and moves along from here. While I have heard many of the anecdotes previously in the Empire of Dreams documentary, this book adds further context, including why David Prowse was not told of the infamous secret around Darth Vader, or how badly some of the actors fared on set.

This is a very substantial book, and well-presented one, and the dry writing style from the previous book is lessened, although at times, it is still there. I'm surprised that not more is given to the conception and 'acting' of the Yoda puppet, and there are some deficiencies. But overall, this is definitely an improvement over the first books.

The Making of The Empire Strikes Back is an excellent book, despite being big and heavy enough to beat a goat to death with it. Not perfect, but pretty damn good and great for any fan of Star Wars.

9.5/10

First words: As The Empire Strikes Back was the sequel to Star Wars, so this book is a follow-up to The Making of Star Wars.

Last words: By 2005, Lucas had created six live-action Star Wars films, with no plans for any more.

On sabbatical...

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2013, 3:22 am

Book 41...

REVIEW: Naruto, volume 3: Bridge of Courage by Masashi Kishimoto

I think that, before long, I will come to the end of this current book-reading blog. But at least I have tried one or two new things. I have begun to read the Naruto manga, and while not particularly impressed, it was good enough to kill time for a while. Now, I come to the third volume of the series...

Having barely defeated the vicious Zabuza, who himself was taken away by the mysterious Haku, Team 7 must now train to get stronger, so that they stand a chance of guarding Tazuna and his bridge. Kakashi has Naruto, Sasuke, and Sakura train with chakras, climbing trees, with only their feet, and the chakra channelling through their feet, to adhere them to the tree bark. Meanwhile, Zabuza recovers, and is being pressured by the evil businessman Gato to kill Tazuna. Soon, Naruto learns the full story about Gato's evil, and how it killed the courage and hope of Tazuna's grandchild Inari, and that of the entire town. And soon, Zabuza and Haku intend to finish the job they started, killing Tazuna, along with Team 7...

What can I say about Naruto that I haven't already? It's the fictional equivalent of fast food, and not designed to be deep and meaningful as much as just satisfying hunger. Even so, we get some background for some of the characters, and there's an engrossing fight sequence that begins just after halfway through the volume. Plus, the ending has a shocking twist that is sure to have people wanting more.

More development is given to the peripheral characters this time around, with more background for the sullen, bitter boy Inari, as well as the extremely androgynous ninja Haku (who, despite all evidence to the contrary, is a boy). Sakura manages to get a victory over the others in the initial stages of their training, but otherwise gets little development, while Sasuke and Naruto do get some, with Sasuke not only revealing the target of his revenge, but also actually being more selfless than he has been before.

Enjoyable and entertaining, but rather shallow. This is Naruto in a nutshell, and the third volume isn't any different.

8/10

First words: CLIMB TREES--?! !

Last words: ! !

On sabbatical...

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2013, 5:17 am

Okay, well, I'm sick of this book-reading blog for the moment, so I'll let it go. There will be a new one later in the year, when I can muster up the motivation. :roll:

On sabbatical...

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2013, 4:35 am

There'll soon be a new book-reading blog...

On sabbatical...