Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

donryanocero
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

31 Oct 2012, 1:59 pm

I recently transferred from community college to a university and am having trouble being productive. I used to be able to get all my school work done quickly with plenty of extra time to study. Now I find myself spending hours walking around campus trying to find a quiet place to study, usually with no luck. The student disability resource center has no idea what I should do. My grades are dropping and I can feel my sanity slowly draining away. Exams are coming up and I need to get focused again. If I don't keep a 2.5 GPA this semester, I'll lose thousands of dollars of scholarships.

I live in a sparsely populated area and there are no real resources for people like me. I've recently been diagnosed and feel like I need to talk to other people who have experienced what I am experiencing. The people in positions to help me can't really understand my problems, so only offer useless suggestions.

The only thing I can think of is to sleep when I get home from school and come on campus to study in the middle of the night when no one is around.

Can anyone offer some advice?

Ryan

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2012, 2:37 pm

Have you tried the library? There are usually quiet places to study there.

You might try altering your routine so that you study in the morning at home before you go to school, when you're not tired from your day.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2012, 4:02 pm

donryanocero wrote:
I recently transferred from community college to a university and am having trouble being productive. I used to be able to get all my school work done quickly with plenty of extra time to study. Now I find myself spending hours walking around campus trying to find a quiet place to study, usually with no luck

Regular university libraries have become more and more of a place to socialize than to work or study.

Does your university have a medical school? If so, I would check out the medical school's library. They often have strict rules about quiet areas.

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2012, 8:22 pm

donryanocero wrote:
I recently transferred from community college to a university and am having trouble being productive. I used to be able to get all my school work done quickly with plenty of extra time to study. Now I find myself spending hours walking around campus trying to find a quiet place to study, usually with no luck. The student disability resource center has no idea what I should do. My grades are dropping and I can feel my sanity slowly draining away. Exams are coming up and I need to get focused again. If I don't keep a 2.5 GPA this semester, I'll lose thousands of dollars of scholarships.

I live in a sparsely populated area and there are no real resources for people like me. I've recently been diagnosed and feel like I need to talk to other people who have experienced what I am experiencing. The people in positions to help me can't really understand my problems, so only offer useless suggestions.

The only thing I can think of is to sleep when I get home from school and come on campus to study in the middle of the night when no one is around.

Ryan

I'll assume you have to stay in campus all day due to classes or what not (aka not able to go home/apt to study).

Depending on your college, you could ask your professors if they have a meeting room at the major's dept. that you can use for quiet study.

Libraries in college often have quiet study rooms or better yet, soundproofed 'meeting rooms'. You may be able to use them.

Failing that, there is always the good ol' trick of finding the dept. that has the least people going in and out (in my univ. its usually the graduate studies office... very few if any MA students go by there every day. They have VERY comfy chairs and its so nice and quiet).

antifeministfrills
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Nov 2012, 5:43 am

donryanocero wrote:

Ryan

There must be an empty classroom or something somewhere where you can study. Good luck.

profofhumanities
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Nov 2012, 9:25 am

Many music departments have several sound-proofed rooms students use for practice. There might be an extra one you could use?

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2012, 2:40 pm

Dantac wrote:
Depending on your college, you could ask your professors if they have a meeting room at the major's dept. that you can use for quiet study.

Some scholastic departments often have their own departmental libraries that are rarely, if ever, used. The one I'm most familiar with was filled with donations from the libraries of former retired professors from the department. That was probably the quietest room in the entire department.

So check to see if they have a department library in a separate room that you can study in.