Metro 2033 best shooter of all time ?

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2012, 6:34 pm

I will tell you why it treats me like an adult and it makes me feel superior and hardcore and that's what it's all abourt they don't call these "ego shooters" for nothing!. Though I don't think these slurs are directed at people who play this game you need patience, keep an open mind at 1st you may think "meh" or even "yuck" leave it for a while come back to it and it may surprise you , but most dispiriting for dude bro is you need to swallow your pride and set the difficulty right down don't bother with hardcore as you will hate this game otherwise. It really is the perfect game , a 10/10 for me , don't believe the nay sayersas on the whine forums they miss the point eg clunky plodding mechanics they whine well it's appropriate for this game the protagonist isn't an American super soldier , and the mechanics lend well to a horror survival fps type game. Understand ?

I hope 4a games don't butcher the "Last light" they've gone out of their way to claim it will keep the real gamers (core) happy while making it more "accessible" can they walk both sides of the fence ? They may just pull it off though if sales get ridiculous and they go on to #3 , 4 or 5 and beyond it will be unrecognizable ," Artyom" will become "Adam" the beer drinking American super soldier , hell it mightn't even be set in Russia or the underground for that matter! not as ridiculous as it may seem with all this ubisoft- ing that's going on these days aka *(&*( up great game franchises. It's getting ridiculous.

-end of rant-

Ps stop not buying this game but hopefully not to many of you will I want this franchise to be *()^ up much latter than sooner :wink:

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2012, 6:56 pm

I like Metro 2033. I actually looked into getting one of Artyom's watches. It's so funny how it tells real time. There were a few spots where the darkness kinda got to me, though. Also, I had gas masks that didn't last too long so I died often. Bullets can be a little hard to find, and the enemy is amazingly accurate. Also, some of those near-invisible tripwires irked me. Very realistic, indeed.

JockGitJnr
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Nov 2012, 8:51 pm

I wouldn't say it was the best shooter of all time, but it's defiantly a contender for best modern shooter along with the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series. I find FPS are too easy these days.

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2012, 9:04 pm

JockGitJnr wrote:
I wouldn't say it was the best shooter of all time, but it's defiantly a contender for best modern shooter along with the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series. I find FPS are too easy these days.

I agree that's one of (many) reasons I'm so fond of it. The Metro guys also worked on Stalker it makes me wish I wasn't a low life console gamer.

I think the PC elitist types get carried away some have claimed Metro is crap in comparison to Stalker 8O

BrokenEnvoke
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Nov 2012, 4:38 am

Great game~

It's like linear STALKER game.
Interested to see what they do next.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2012, 4:34 pm

Haven't played it yet, I'm still struggling through the STALKER games.

Never heard of the term "ego shooter" before.

JockGitJnr
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Nov 2012, 4:34 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:
Haven't played it yet, I'm still struggling through the STALKER games.

Never heard of the term "ego shooter" before.

I have never heard that term before, but you get a huge ego boost when you complete them so it's correct. Keep trying with S.T.A.L.K.E.R. SoC, It only get's harder. I ended the game dropping everything and crawling, because I have far too much radiation poisoning.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2012, 5:00 pm

It's a lot easier once you've got it properly patched...previously I had a lot of issues with bugs and things making me start over >_<

One of the biggest bugs is that a lot of sound effects don't have proper headers (or whatever), so that a lot of sounds that should be silent, do not have the proper tag to designate them as silent...

...or at least I thought that was a pretty huge bug...it made it very difficult for me to stealthily work my way through it.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2012, 4:28 pm

Metro 2033?

Boring, buggy as hell, derivative setting (admittedly, not the fault of the game, but of the author), hard to suspend disbelief ("yeah, I get that you're a gorilla monster, but this empty AK magazine says you really ought to be Swiss cheese"), small and constrained levels and the "wear a filter here, it'll last all of a minute" bits were tedious.

Apart from that, it was ok. I forget whether the game had the bit with the stars on the Kremlin, but if it did, at least that'd be a valiant effort in the eternal "Kremlin != St. Basils" struggle.

Alright, that's pretty harsh. I did kinda like it (once I'd trawled the interwebs to find out how to get past a particularly stupidly bugged bit) and the book is ok, but it wasn't anything special, although it's certainly better than your mainstream manshooter.

The year is still young.

Evinceo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Nov 2012, 2:39 am

Probably the best pure FPS I've played.

Groltag
Raven
Raven

13 Nov 2012, 6:25 pm

i liked it so much I brought the book!

DialAForAwesome
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2012, 8:31 am

For me, the best one is Doom.

Kenjuudo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2012, 2:38 pm

DialAForAwesome wrote:
I was going to agree with you. But then I thought about Quake; The best FPS there ever was. At least multiplayer. No game has since been able to even come close to it's viscerality, speed and immense skill based difference between a good and a poor player. Quake's combat contained zero random elements, which again meant victory (and defeat) were both deserved. Nobody called each other names back then.

quux
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Nov 2012, 3:52 pm

Hm, I guess I'd be split between DooM and Quake. Quake multiplayer was quite harder to master, from what I remember though, so that's probably the one...

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2012, 8:15 pm

Kenjuudo wrote:
DialAForAwesome wrote:
I was going to agree with you. But then I thought about Quake; The best FPS there ever was. At least multiplayer. No game has since been able to even come close to it's viscerality, speed and immense skill based difference between a good and a poor player. Quake's combat contained zero random elements, which again meant victory (and defeat) were both deserved. Nobody called each other names back then.

I suspected some one would say that I always wanted to check it out but after seeing it on YT (Doom 3) I was like :| on it, not that it matters plenty of games like that have turned out to be a winner, Condemned is a real stand out , another FPS type game that treats you like an adult!

Do I really need an arrow pointing me down a corridor, patiently waiting behind a sand mound waiting for my heath to regenerate :roll:

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2012, 5:19 pm

aussiebloke wrote:
...I always wanted to check it out but after seeing it on YT (Doom 3) I was like :| on it...

Nobody said anything about DOOM 3, it's a very different game from the first two.