Page 2 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Rorberyllium
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2012, 7:19 pm

The Cult Is Alive is the best Darkthrone album, and Under a Funeral Moon is better as far as their pure black metal stuff goes. But Transylvanian Hunger is far from one of the worst albums ever.

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2012, 9:40 pm

Ride the Lightning by Metallica. I just KNOW I'll get a lot of criticism for this, but let's look at the album objectviely, assuming it isn't a cult classic. The guitar tone is super treble-y, something that is a definite NO in metal, the power is completely sapped by production that makes the contrasts as dull as cardboard, james sounds super strained and the whole album just sounds like a super treble-y powerless dead album.

However, at the same time, there are some interesting parts completely ruined by bad instrument tone. Hatebreed did a lovely recreation of Escape, for instance.

I also nominate the album A Thousand Suns by Linkin park. It's as if a turntable met history textbooks, nothing more. At least their Hybird Theory EP/album and Qwerty are still good.

Currently working on getting in a studio to record my solo album 40+ tracks written.

Chatroom nicks: MetalFluttershy/MetalTwilight/SanityTheorist

Rorberyllium
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2012, 12:31 am

Metallica are just an awful band in general. Most of their albums are scarred by production flaws (Lighting's weak guitar tone mentioned above, Justice's lack of bass). The drumming is always awful except in specific instances where a session drummer was involved. Hetfield was never a super convincing vocalist. The best thing they got going for them is Kirk's leads and occasionally solid songwriting. Other bands play their songs better than they do.

LexingtonDeville
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2012, 4:24 am

Cradle of Filth - Thornography: A low point for Suffolk's most notorious metal band. The whole album felt like Dani and co had completely regressed, and the less said about their cover of "Temptation", the better. One to avoid if your a COF fan.

Having said that, they did rebound in 2008 with the vastly superior Godspeed on the Devil's Thunder, a dark and intriguing concept album that chronicles the horrific misdeeds of infamous French nobleman Gilles De Rais.

But if you want Cradle's best era, then Principle of Evil Made Flesh, Vempire, Dusk and her Embrace, Cruelty and the Beast and Midian are their best work.

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe: Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion; I've watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time; like tears in rain. Time to die." Roy Batty

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2012, 1:13 pm

"Alvin and the Chipmunks Sing the Beatles"

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2012, 3:36 pm

naturalplastic wrote:

CLose the thread; we found it.

Currently working on getting in a studio to record my solo album 40+ tracks written.

iBlockhead
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Nov 2012, 9:44 pm

Rorberyllium wrote:
The Cult Is Alive is the best Darkthrone album, and Under a Funeral Moon is better as far as their pure black metal stuff goes. But Transylvanian Hunger is far from one of the worst albums ever.

The hype puts it over the top. Otherwise it's Soundtrack to Your Escape (by In Flames). It was absolute garbage.

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2012, 10:26 pm

naturalplastic wrote:

So now people call albums that are meant to be viewed light-heartedly bad albums?

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2012, 12:15 am

iBlockhead wrote:
Rorberyllium wrote:

The hype puts it over the top. Otherwise it's Soundtrack to Your Escape (by In Flames). It was absolute garbage.

I'll debate you on this one, as it was an album that helped me out of a deep depression. What's wrong with Soundtrack to Your Escape? My Sweet Shadow was very therapeutic for me, as was Evil in a Closet and Borders and Shading.

iBlockhead
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Nov 2012, 3:08 pm

^^^^

What's there to debate? I didn't say you had to agree with me on this one, I just stated an opinion.

noxnocturne
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2012, 3:23 pm

The Beatles' "Help!" album is one that I don't care for too much. I think there's only one song on it that I like, and that's "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away". Other than that one, no.

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2012, 4:04 pm

iBlockhead wrote:
^^^^

What's there to debate? I didn't say you had to agree with me on this one, I just stated an opinion.

Fair enough. I just fail to see all the hatred for that album; I am guessing most of it was lack of guitar solos.

LexingtonDeville
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2012, 4:21 pm

SanityTheorist wrote:
iBlockhead wrote:
^^^^

Fair enough. I just fail to see all the hatred for that album; I am guessing most of it was lack of guitar solos.

I personally think In Flames's best album will always be The Jester Race, they will never replicate that album.

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe: Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion; I've watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time; like tears in rain. Time to die." Roy Batty

HeWhoTheGodsDetest
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Nov 2012, 4:25 pm

LexingtonDeville wrote:
SanityTheorist wrote:
iBlockhead wrote:
^^^^

I personally think In Flames's best album will always be The Jester Race, they will never replicate that album.

I dunno, man; Colony makes a good case.

- Robert Downey Jr. as Kirk Lazarus as Sergeant Four Leaf

LexingtonDeville
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2012, 5:25 pm

HeWhoTheGodsDetest wrote:
LexingtonDeville wrote:
SanityTheorist wrote:
iBlockhead wrote:
^^^^

I dunno, man; Colony makes a good case.

Colony and Clayman were also good entries till Reroute to Remain turned up.

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2012, 8:07 pm

Seems I'm one of few that like all of In Flames's work up until A Sense of Purpose. I think all albums had their merits, but overall Colony and Clayman are my favorites, but the instrumentation is best on The Jester Race.