Nonunion Utility Workers turned away from Sandy Recovery

Page 3 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2012, 10:54 pm

Raptor wrote:
Unions exist to serve themselves.
Helping the "little man" is just a byproduct.

Is that what the RNC's webpage says?

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2012, 11:14 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Unions exist to serve themselves.
Helping the "little man" is just a byproduct.

Is that what the RNC's webpage says?

I wouldn't know. I've never seen the RNC's page.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2012, 11:19 pm

I'd have thought you were parroting them.
By the way; from the dangers to life and liberty faced by early union members at the hands of police and company thugs for hire, to say that unions don't exist to represent the working man and woman is a slap in the face to all those brave souls who put everything on the line.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2012, 11:47 pm

I'm from that neck of the woods that used to have steel mills galore at one time and coal mines, too. The unions had their purpose in the early days and still do in SOME cases. For the most part they have become empires of greed and I think you know that.

BTW: You should know me well enough to know that I'm not bothered (quite the opposite) by emotionalism.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2012, 12:24 am

Company owners have nothing to do with job losses, huh?

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2012, 8:27 am

I don't remember saying the companies were totally innocent...

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2012, 10:04 pm

iBlockhead wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
noxnocturne wrote:
Yep, this sounds about right for New York and New Jersey. No offense to those of you who live in those areas...I'm just pointing out how horrible the unions up there are.

Oh, so terrible that working people get high pay and great benefits. That's what unions do.

That's because you live on the West Coast. You don't live in the area.

I don't trust Fox News at all, but this could seriously happen in the state and area. In Philadelphia across the river, union picketing is a way of life. If you don't give a union your job, they're showing up at your door with signs and handing out material to try to discredit you and ruin your business. I'm not mistaken, we're not talking about the company deliberately making people slaves since they're non-union. The union only wants their people to get the job, there's no purpose to help out the non-union workers at all.

I'm quite sorry liberals have their blinders on whenever an ultra-conservative posts something like this and believes this story to be automatically false since the only link is a Fox News biased piece.

Fortunately, this story is indeed false. The documents seemed to imply you needed to be in a union, and everyone was welcome to help out. See here. But I need to remind you the United States is about 2,500 miles wide with some 330 million people in it; what goes on in your area doesn't mean it's the same in another, and there are gray areas in terms of political stuff.

Unfortunately for your statement iBlockhead, your source is actually not telling the truth; I actually talked to a gentleman that is moving to Texas from New York whom used to work for the utility companies.

Furthermore my mother has some facebook contacts out east that verified this. Right now much of the media has absolutely no credibility and here is why.

Essentially you are suggesting we are to trust a news media that actively lied to the American people and did their best (with a few individual reporters going against their outlets) to cover up what happened in Benghazi to help Obama get re-elected. If they are willing to lie after we have another terrorist attack on 9/11, which resulted in 4 dead Americans, then quite frankly they can't be trusted on anything.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2012, 11:39 pm

How the hell did Benghazzi become part of the conversation?
And if there's any question about the accuracy of the media's truthfulness concerning the region hit by Sandy, we need only ask ruveyn, who had experienced the storm first hand.
And in closing, the last person I'm going to put my trust in would be some guy who voluntarily moves from New York to Texas.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2012, 12:18 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
How the hell did Benghazzi become part of the conversation?

I was giving a very recent example of the lack of honesty of the mainstream media, if they are willing to lie and try to sweep the deaths of 4 Americans (including a US ambassador under the rug), in order to help Obama win re-election; then to be blunt someone would have to be a complete and total idiot to believe anything they say.

Kraichgauer wrote:
And if there's any question about the accuracy of the media's truthfulness concerning the region hit by Sandy, we need only ask ruveyn, who had experienced the storm first hand.
And in closing, the last person I'm going to put my trust in would be some guy who voluntarily moves from New York to Texas.

Where does ruveyn live though? This situation is only happening in certain areas, there have been other areas that have been hit where the Unions are not behaving in this fashion. Also unless ruveyn is a former utility worker, I would think that a former utility worker (regardless of whether or not he's moving to Texas) whom actually lives in the area currently, would be a better source than ruveyn on this issue (not insulting ruveyn, just pointing out that a retired utility worker probably still has buddies that are still utility workers and thus is more likely to know what is going on behind the scenes).

If we look at what happened to Hostess today, there was more than one Union involved, one Union is responsible Hostess having to lay everyone off and shut down, the other one is not responsible.

Also Kraichgauer, I've been out east before, I know how incredibly antiquated the electrical grid is out there compared to much of the midwest, or states like Florida. You want to talk about infrastructure, fact of the matter is you see more infrastructure issues out east, not in states like Florida or Texas.

Fact of the matter is hurricane Sandy wasn't really that strong of a hurricane relatively speaking, it's the building quality, poor infrastructure upkeep, etc. which is part of the reason why so much damage occurred.

Also, this wasn't the result of global warming either, because the hurricane season ends towards the end of November, not the beginning of November.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2012, 12:33 am

I never mentioned global warming.
And ruveyn was by his own admission very close to the destruction. In fact, he has family members who have acted very humanely and heroically by helping people left destitute.
And ruveyn is not a utility worker, but a retired businessman, if my memory serves me correctly.
People in New Jersey in fact are very pissed off regarding their privately owned power company, which has been twiddling their thumbs instead of getting power back up.
And as far as Hostess is concerned - - the workers themselves describe the union as selling them out. So if that's correct, then in this instance, I agree that this particular union fell on their faces when they should have been helping their members.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2012, 12:54 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
I never mentioned global warming.

I'm being pre-emptive before someone (not directed towards you) tries that song and dance routine.

Kraichgauer wrote:
And ruveyn was by his own admission very close to the destruction. In fact, he has family members who have acted very humanely and heroically by helping people left destitute.

I'm not discounting that, however the hurricane damaged a wide area, partially because of the poor upkeep of infrastructure. I've seen how they don't cut tree limbs away from power lines out near DC for instance, in a violent storm, that's just asking for massive power outages. I've seen the power go out for businesses out near DC on a sunny day without a cloud in the sky. The infrastructure out east hasn't been properly maintained, compared to many other parts of the country.

Kraichgauer wrote:
And ruveyn is not a utility worker, but a retired businessman, if my memory serves me correctly.

Which is why I think the person I talked to probably knows more about this than ruveyn.

Kraichgauer wrote:
People in New Jersey in fact are very pissed off regarding their privately owned power company, which has been twiddling their thumbs instead of getting power back up.

You do realize when the areas were still flooded, areas where powerlines are possibly still down, there is a pretty damn good reason why they were not trying just get power up as soon as possible without checking everything first.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0XfD7kV9fY[/youtube]

Also it could be they needed a bunch of new parts to even get things running again... Salt water conducts electricity, a good way to further wreck the electrical grid and/or potentially get people killed is turn the power back on when there are potentially downed lines in pools of salt water...

That said, I will point out you gave the Fox News report added credibility Kraichgauer.

Kraichgauer wrote:
And as far as Hostess is concerned - - the workers themselves describe the union as selling them out. So if that's correct, then in this instance, I agree that this particular union fell on their faces when they should have been helping their members.

Good, you've started to open your eyes and see what is really going on.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2012, 1:04 am

Only in this instance do I consider that a union had failed it's members.
And while I often don't agree with ruveyn, I regard him as a very reliable source. I'm not going to disregard what he's reported.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2012, 1:09 am

I'm not questioning his credibility, I'm saying he probably doesn't know everything going on behind the scenes Kraichgauer, I actually have seen examples of this fairly often in real life.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2012, 1:33 am

Inuyasha wrote:
I'm not questioning his credibility, I'm saying he probably doesn't know everything going on behind the scenes Kraichgauer, I actually have seen examples of this fairly often in real life.

Well, I'd like to hear what ruveyn says about the subject.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2012, 8:36 am

Inuyasha wrote:

SEASIDE HEIGHTS, NEW JERSEY (WAFF) - The hurricane-ravaged east coast has been receiving north Alabama help, but crews from Huntsville Utilities learned they'll be doing work in Long Island, New York instead of in New Jersey.

Crews from Huntsville, as well as Decatur Utilities and Joe Wheeler out of Trinity headed up there this week, but Derrick Moore, one of the Decatur workers, said they were told by crews in New Jersey that they can't do any work there since they're not union employees.

http://nation.foxnews.com/hurricane-san ... y-recovery

There is also a video in the article.

This Faux News story has been widely debunked.

http://blog.al.com/breaking/2012/11/hun ... es_cl.html