I feel overwhelmed by the pure proximity of people

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Sanctus
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2012, 11:36 pm

Yeah. I live in a student dorm, and the thought that someone lives next to me, every minute, every day, is pretty overwhelming. It's ok if they're quiet and considerate, but since one of them is not, I sometimes just want to run away and hide in a cave in the woods or something.

It was similar when I lived with my mother. It's like I'm not myself when somebody else is around. It's smothering and overwhelming. I feel like, today, people are always much too close to each other, with no place for themselves.

2wheels4ever
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2012, 12:17 am

I nominate The Police's "Don't Stand So Close To Me" as the official song of Aspiedom. I share the feeling of having the life squeezed out of me by others' presence from time to time. Somewhat along the same lines if I am thinking of doing an activity and I see someone else doing it, I abandon that plan and if I am already doing the activity and they start to do the same thing I stop and consider another activity I can do.

Logicalmom
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2012, 12:33 am

Sadly, I feel that way and I am married. Weekends can be so long. Not fair, but I can't help it.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2012, 12:34 am

You and me both.

chiastic_slide
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Nov 2012, 4:46 am

I definitely relate to this, both at home and at work, especially when involving those who would infringe upon personal boundaries.

SilkySifaka
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2012, 5:19 am

Logicalmom wrote:
Sadly, I feel that way and I am married. Weekends can be so long. Not fair, but I can't help it.

I'm so glad you wrote that, I feel the same way. I feel guilty for feeling this way, but I sometimes dread the weekends. I get up at 5.30 every morning so I can just sit on my own, in silence. I love my boyfriend but I feel as if being with people all the time literally crushes me and wears me down.

qwertyuiop1994
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Nov 2012, 6:28 am

Has anyone also noticed that people seem to hug each other a lot more for no reason?

AnotherKind
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2012, 7:49 am

qwertyuiop1994 wrote:
Has anyone also noticed that people seem to hug each other a lot more for no reason?

Yeah, why do you think they do that :?:

qwertyuiop1994
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Nov 2012, 8:39 am

AnotherKind wrote:
Yeah, why do you think they do that :?:

I have no idea It's just completely unnecessary.

AQ:45

AnotherKind
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2012, 9:05 am

I think they do that because they're hypocrite and want to appear loving, when in fact, they don't give a f**k.
Why don't they hug the beggars, the only people that need to be hugged? Or those who are in pain.
Their love isn't unconditional at all, but worse, it is pathetic. I feel disgusted when somebody wants to hug me for no reason.
It also seems snobbish - "if everybody does it, then I should do it too, even if it makes no sense".

qwertyuiop1994
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Nov 2012, 9:40 am

People I know hug because "it's different" but when someone actually is different it's like they think you're a freak. I even know some people who try to hug me because I don't like it. That's my best guess based on my own experience.

AQ:45