Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

slave
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2012, 1:30 pm

Withdrawal wrote:
I don't think I have a photographic memory, certainly not 100%. But I have by far the best long term memory of anyone I know. My short term memory is probably above average too.

I remember back to when I was one year old, and I remember almost everything that I've ever experienced. I think my memory is more verbal/word-orientated than numbers. I've heard of people who can tell you what happened on any given date. I'm not so good at that, but I can repeat conversations I had years ago word for word. I can recall large parts of books I read years ago. I remember entire song lyrics and poems - I hear something once or twice and it's in my brain for good. It made passing school exams very easy. Just read the text book and memorise it and repeat it in the exam (good enough for the level of exams that just require you to know facts and not be creative anyway!).

I used to assume every average person had a memory like mine. I'd get frustrated when people wouldn't remember things - I'd say, but two years ago, you said this, and now you're contradicting yourself! And they'd tell me there was no way anyone could remember a two-year old conversation. Sometimes people would even seem to have false memories - I've noticed that some people seem to remember themselves in a more flattering light than the reality, or replace mistakes they'd made with versions in which they'd done the right thing in their memory. I'd always know my memory was the right one. (The fact that I had so many memories, being able to validate my memory by checking things like knowledge of books and lyrics, occasions where I could go back and check photos/videos, etc. convinced me that I wasn't the one misremembering).

So words seem to be the strongest aspect of my memory - whether written or aural. My memories involve all the senses - I remember what it felt like to be experiencing something - touch, taste, smell, look, sound. But not actually photographic.

I don't know if this is related to having Asperger's or not. From the responses so far to this thread, it seems it's not common to autism.

I had heard a theory that if you have a good memory you are more likely to be a depressed person. Because you remember the bad reality and don't insert false happy memories, just like the people I've obseved do! And you remember your mistakes where the average person forgets and so assumes they didn't do anything wrong, so those with better memory have low self esteem. I've no idea if there's any truth to this theory - I think I have plenty of reasons to be depressed or have low self-esteem, even if my memory was average.

Do you have a form of superior auto-biographical memory?

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7166313n

Part 1 and 2

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperthymesia

:D :D :D :D

MrObvious
Raven
Raven

04 Nov 2012, 1:37 pm

I have good visual and spatial memory. I know how to get to a place and only need to drive there once to remember it (maybe twice for NYC). I don't have good eiditic memory I think but it does decent, esp. with geography. I've been called a GPS before. I know someone who can just listen to a line off of a movie or song and recall it well. I think he is NT though...but he really screams adHd (capitalized that way on purpose). It may not be an aspie trait but some people may have it. I think it just depends on the person, not the mental illness.

Withdrawal
Raven
Raven

04 Nov 2012, 3:30 pm

slave wrote:
Withdrawal wrote:
I don't think I have a photographic memory, certainly not 100%. But I have by far the best long term memory of anyone I know. My short term memory is probably above average too.

I remember back to when I was one year old, and I remember almost everything that I've ever experienced. I think my memory is more verbal/word-orientated than numbers. I've heard of people who can tell you what happened on any given date. I'm not so good at that, but I can repeat conversations I had years ago word for word. I can recall large parts of books I read years ago. I remember entire song lyrics and poems - I hear something once or twice and it's in my brain for good. It made passing school exams very easy. Just read the text book and memorise it and repeat it in the exam (good enough for the level of exams that just require you to know facts and not be creative anyway!).

I used to assume every average person had a memory like mine. I'd get frustrated when people wouldn't remember things - I'd say, but two years ago, you said this, and now you're contradicting yourself! And they'd tell me there was no way anyone could remember a two-year old conversation. Sometimes people would even seem to have false memories - I've noticed that some people seem to remember themselves in a more flattering light than the reality, or replace mistakes they'd made with versions in which they'd done the right thing in their memory. I'd always know my memory was the right one. (The fact that I had so many memories, being able to validate my memory by checking things like knowledge of books and lyrics, occasions where I could go back and check photos/videos, etc. convinced me that I wasn't the one misremembering).

So words seem to be the strongest aspect of my memory - whether written or aural. My memories involve all the senses - I remember what it felt like to be experiencing something - touch, taste, smell, look, sound. But not actually photographic.

I don't know if this is related to having Asperger's or not. From the responses so far to this thread, it seems it's not common to autism.

I had heard a theory that if you have a good memory you are more likely to be a depressed person. Because you remember the bad reality and don't insert false happy memories, just like the people I've obseved do! And you remember your mistakes where the average person forgets and so assumes they didn't do anything wrong, so those with better memory have low self esteem. I've no idea if there's any truth to this theory - I think I have plenty of reasons to be depressed or have low self-esteem, even if my memory was average.

Part 1 and 2

That does sound familiar. I'm not a perfect example, but presuming it's on a spectrum - like many things - I think it's safe to say I'm nearer to the "superior" autobiographical memory than the average person. It's certainly the case for me that it's effortless to remember - I don't use tricks or techniques or practice. The memories are just there and I can recall them at will or they come when prompted by an association.

I wonder if it's more common in females to tend towards this type - rather than the good memory for numbers and dates phenomenon. I have a typically "female" brain in many ways - I'm no good at practical things and can't read maps. I have no sense of direction - I'd wondered before if that was part of my Asperger's. But then I'm reading here that some people with good memories are good at memorising maps - that's not the case for me.

But life events. Yes, everything stays with me. Even the boring parts! I had some traumatic experiences and I read about PTSD and how people blank out bad stuff that happens to them. But for me it just stays in perfect detail. Sometimes I even wish my memory would blank out the bad things, but it never does.

Interesting the wiki article says there's a link with Asperger's. I'm certainly very obsessive, which is the main trait it notes is shared between the two.

loner1984
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2012, 9:02 pm

slave wrote:
loner1984 wrote:
The people who has that, have it at a great price, there was a documentary about this dude who could remember pretty much everything, but simple stuff like talking and putting clothes on he could do.

As far as i know, nobody has that and all is normally fully function on anywhere near normal levels.

I think the dudes name was something with kim maybe, he was living with his dad, pretty amazing dude.

Kim Peak.

He is dead.

Oh man that sucks :S he wasnt that old was he ?.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2012, 10:17 pm

loner1984 wrote:
slave wrote:
loner1984 wrote:
The people who has that, have it at a great price, there was a documentary about this dude who could remember pretty much everything, but simple stuff like talking and putting clothes on he could do.

As far as i know, nobody has that and all is normally fully function on anywhere near normal levels.

I think the dudes name was something with kim maybe, he was living with his dad, pretty amazing dude.

Kim Peak.

He is dead.

Oh man that sucks :S he wasnt that old was he ?.

58 yrs. :(

finger
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Nov 2012, 10:21 pm

I have a "good" long term memory nowhere near photographic and a horrible short term memory.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2012, 10:46 pm

Withdrawal wrote:
slave wrote:
Withdrawal wrote:

Part 1 and 2

That does sound familiar. I'm not a perfect example, but presuming it's on a spectrum - like many things - I think it's safe to say I'm nearer to the "superior" autobiographical memory than the average person. It's certainly the case for me that it's effortless to remember - I don't use tricks or techniques or practice. The memories are just there and I can recall them at will or they come when prompted by an association.

I wonder if it's more common in females to tend towards this type - rather than the good memory for numbers and dates phenomenon. I have a typically "female" brain in many ways - I'm no good at practical things and can't read maps. I have no sense of direction - I'd wondered before if that was part of my Asperger's. But then I'm reading here that some people with good memories are good at memorising maps - that's not the case for me.

But life events. Yes, everything stays with me. Even the boring parts! I had some traumatic experiences and I read about PTSD and how people blank out bad stuff that happens to them. But for me it just stays in perfect detail. Sometimes I even wish my memory would blank out the bad things, but it never does.

Interesting the wiki article says there's a link with Asperger's. I'm certainly very obsessive, which is the main trait it notes is shared between the two.

How has your memory impacted your education?

johnsmcjohn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2012, 3:07 am

I have en eidetic memory, but it's limited to events I consider to be "important". For example, I can't remember what I ate for lunch yesterday, but I can recalll every single event between my friend and I for the last 7 months. The difference is that I have made the events between my friend and I important and my every day goings on is not. Also, anything I write down is automatically "important" regardless of whether or not it is. I can remember everything I've ever written down regardless of what it is.

Withdrawal
Raven
Raven

05 Nov 2012, 7:49 am

slave wrote:
Withdrawal wrote:
slave wrote:
Withdrawal wrote:

Part 1 and 2

How has your memory impacted your education?

It helped loads when I was at school. I was not in school much - I was in hospital a lot when I was doing exams. But I did great because I'd just read the revision guides and repeat them the next day in the exam. It meant I looked like I was good at maths and science when I wasn't - I didn't understand things, I just remembered them. For example, I'm memorise an equation so I could answer a sum on a maths exam correctly. But I wouldn't actually understand how the equation worked.

At university I did philosophy. It wasn't so relevant then. It helped a bit - made memorising theory for exams easy (being tested on your knowledge of the existing literature in the field, etc.). But most of my degree was essays and coursework which required you to develop your own ideas - I still did well, but it had less to do with my memory.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2012, 2:18 pm

My auditory memory is very effective; I can listen to lectures in school without taking notes and still ace the exams. It's strongest when paired with visual stimuli, like movies for instance, I can rattle off entire scenes from movies in a way that amazes my friends, it's like I have the scene playing on a reel in my head, and the dialogue is just there. I tested myself once, and managed to get a scene down cold after watching it twice. It was at 75% after the first viewing. My memory for written words and numbers isn't as strong, probably average, maybe less so, but I'm very good at remembering still images I've seen. I took an online test once to see how good my recall for abstract images was; I scored higher than 80% of people who'd taken the test before me.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

brickmack
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 Nov 2012, 9:24 pm

My memory isnt perfect, but pretty good. I can remember large amounts of text fairly easily, word for word, and Im really good at remembering numbers. I memorized pi to 90 some digits in less than a week and that was pretty easy. I cant remember what I had for dinner a week ago, though.

JWS
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Nov 2012, 12:05 am

Steelmaiden, I'd LOVE to have Eidetic Memory! I DO have decent recall; can remember many different facts from my life- but I don't believe I have 100% recall. But, as I have already said- I would LOVE to! :D

kenwjiang
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Nov 2012, 12:56 am

There's different spectrums of this, but I don't think there's such a thing as perfect photographic memory. People with near perfect have trouble recognizing faces

slave
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2012, 1:32 pm

StarTrekker wrote:
My auditory memory is very effective; I can listen to lectures in school without taking notes and still ace the exams. It's strongest when paired with visual stimuli, like movies for instance, I can rattle off entire scenes from movies in a way that amazes my friends, it's like I have the scene playing on a reel in my head, and the dialogue is just there. I tested myself once, and managed to get a scene down cold after watching it twice. It was at 75% after the first viewing. My memory for written words and numbers isn't as strong, probably average, maybe less so, but I'm very good at remembering still images I've seen. I took an online test once to see how good my recall for abstract images was; I scored higher than 80% of people who'd taken the test before me.

me 2 :lol: :lol: :lol:

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2012, 6:02 pm

I wouldn't consider my memory to be eidetic, but it's better than average. I can often recall events and details from years ago that others have no memory of to the point that I freak other people out. :D

FMX
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2012, 6:29 pm

My memory is pretty average, I think. It's probably better than average for numbers that I make an effort to remember (eg. my credit card and bank account numbers) or I just see a lot (eg. Windows NT build numbers displayed on the start-up screen), but worse than average for people's names.