Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2012, 4:31 am

Does anybody remember HBO in the 1970s? It seemed that they showed the same few movies over and over, but then I was a kid. Some of my fondest memories are of Friday and Saturday nights when my best friend Wendy would spend the night and everybody else was in bed and we would stay up till the wee hours watching HBO. I remember a few of the movies very distinctly, but I don't remember the name of one or two of them.

Carrie - The thread about that movie reminded me of this topic

Saturday Night Fever - We watched that every time it came on and we could get to a tv. I can still do the Night Fever line dance, thanks to mine and Wendy's dedication to learning it, helped out a lot by the after school show "Disco Break" that taught disco steps

Grease - The "other" John Travolta movie. I never cared for Sandy in that movie and Rizzo was always my favorite girl character. Of course my favorite boy character was you know who.

Halloween - I was so afraid the first dozen times I watched that movie. I always covered my eyes and would promise to keep them open "this time" but it took so many viewings before I could watch the whole movie. I only found out a few years ago that was Jamie Lee Curtis

Last Dance - A disco movie with Donna Summer. I don't remember the plot, but I remember we loved watching it

Thank God It's Friday - Another disco movie whose plot I don't remember exactly either, but same as above

Don't remember the name of it, but some movie about some guys in a van going to a disco (do you see a theme starting to emerge?)

Carney - I'm ashamed to admit it but back then I thought Gary Busey was hotter than that guy from The Band, Robbie something or other, that played his best friend. We were all so jealous of Jodie Foster because she got to kiss them both

Foxes - Another Jodie Foster movie where her and her group of teenage girlfriends got into lots of trouble with drugs, booze and boys until it just didn't end so well

Bob and Carol and Ted and Alice - Always on but I never watched it

California Suite - Same as above

King Of The Gypsies - Susan Sarandon in the early days. She still looks just as pretty. Judd Hursh (sp?) was in it too and he just didn't sell his character very well. Of course I fell in love with the main character, the misunderstood Gypsy boy. I am very tired and can't remember his name right this second, but I usually remember it. In fact, I was watching "Spun" a few months ago and was thrilled to find out he was in it. I wanted to see some older rendition of the hot Gypsy boy from the earlier movie. He played an effeminate drug lord.

Over The Edge - Everybody at my school watched and talked about that movie. Matt Dillon's first movie. About a bunch of kids in a California subdivision that get into pot. I can't remember the full plot but I found it online a while back and tried to watch it and it was horrible! So bad that I just couldn't watch. That movie was the first time I heard Cheap Trick, and all the girls at school got a permenant like that one curly haired girl in the movie

Ice Castles - Not even good the first time. By the third time I watched it I hated them both and it's the reason that I automatically hate every Robbie Benson movie to this day. Was that old lady supposed to be some sort of female counterpart to Rocky's trainer?

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head right this second. If anybody else wants to talk about it, I'll start one about 70s TV too. Those were some show lol.

What HBO movies do any of you remember from way back in the day?

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Simmian7
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2012, 10:50 am

dunno bout the 70s. but i was a kid in the 80s. i know it might be going off topic, being you're talking about the 70s...
but i remember back then...HBO was a free channel. or more so, it was part of the package when you subscribed to cable. then they changed it to you gotta call, to request it and pay extra for it. i then loved lookin forward to the times of the year when they'd run it for free (trying to get you to pay the extra for it...) stupid greedy jerks!

It's like someone's calling out to me. Writing it all down...it's like I'm calling back to them.
(quote from August Rush; but used as a reference to my writing)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
My ASD AQ score is 42
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
#DemandCartoonDiversity