Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

KevinLA
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2012, 4:11 pm

Wow. What an overrated movie. I can't believe the hype this things got.

Where do I start.

Weird plot, boring at times, predictable. A mediocre movie.

It was a kids movie.

blackelk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Nov 2012, 4:12 pm

It was rated pg-13, so yeah. It was overrated but not terrible. I would say 7/10.

If you want a similar movie with more gore, check out the Japanese film Battle Royale.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2012, 6:36 pm

I felt disappointed with it. I'm not sure exactly what I was expecting out of it, but I just couldn't get into it. I have been disappointed with a lot of movies this year it seems. The only movie I've seen that wasn't a total letdown was Brave (I haven't seen Avengers or Dark Knight Rises because I'm not interested in superhero movies).

KevinLA
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2012, 6:39 pm

IdahoRose wrote:
I felt disappointed with it. I'm not sure exactly what I was expecting out of it, but I just couldn't get into it. I have been disappointed with a lot of movies this year it seems. The only movie I've seen that wasn't a total letdown was Brave (I haven't seen Avengers or Dark Knight Rises because I'm not interested in superhero movies).

The new James Bond movie Skyfall has been called one of the best Bond movies ever.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2012, 6:45 pm

KevinLA wrote:
IdahoRose wrote:

The new James Bond movie Skyfall has been called one of the best Bond movies ever.

That's true. And Wreck It Ralph has been getting pretty good reviews too. I was disappointed by Frankenweenie, Dark Shadows and Hunger Games, which were the three movies that I most looked forward to seeing this year and I counted those as "a lot" because I don't watch movies very often.

KevinLA
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2012, 8:09 pm

IdahoRose wrote:
KevinLA wrote:
IdahoRose wrote:

That's true. And Wreck It Ralph has been getting pretty good reviews too. I was disappointed by Frankenweenie, Dark Shadows and Hunger Games, which were the three movies that I most looked forward to seeing this year and I counted those as "a lot" because I don't watch movies very often.

How was Dark Shadows?

Is it about the origins of Bat Man? Didn't they already do that once?

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2012, 10:03 pm

KevinLA wrote:
IdahoRose wrote:
KevinLA wrote:
IdahoRose wrote:

How was Dark Shadows?

Is it about the origins of Bat Man? Didn't they already do that once?

Dark Shadows has nothing to do with Batman. It's a Tim Burton remake of an American soap opera that aired in the 60s involving a vampire that awakens in the 70s after being imprisoned for a couple of hundred years. Sound like a horror movie? Nope, it's actually a comedy (though the soap itself was horror/drama). Usually I am a fan of Burton's remakes (in my humble opinion, his versions of Sweeney Todd, Willy Wonka, Alice in Wonderland and Sleepy Hollow were all awesome), but I did not like Dark Shadows. In their other films (remake or otherwise), Burton and Depp evoked an eerily sweet sense of awe and wonder in me, but Dark Shadows felt so lacking. It was like they didn't even try. I wanted to like it, I have tried to like it, but I just can't.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2012, 10:16 pm

I actually loved that movie! I am looking forward to seeing the next movie in the series next year.

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

JockGitJnr
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Nov 2012, 4:24 am

I didn't like the movie because they missed out some important parts of the book. The Tracker Jacker poison effects were highly reduced in the film but they play a crucial part in the other two books and the dogs at the end were biologically mutated from the already dead contestants, which is another important aspect in the next two books. I look forward to the next two films to see how they get out of the crucial plot holes they have created

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

05 Nov 2012, 7:30 am

[Moved from Random Discussion to Television, Film, and Video]

Wolfheart
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2012, 5:22 am

The Running Man has a similar plot but it is one of my favourite action films from the 1980's.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5gIFR9t7RQ[/youtube]

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2012, 9:57 pm

Wolfheart wrote:
The Running Man has a similar plot but it is one of my favourite action films from the 1980's.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5gIFR9t7RQ[/youtube]

Running Man is the ORIGINAL Hunger Games. Or, conversely, Hunger Games is Running Man sanitized for teenage girls. The original short story was actually written by Stephen King, under a pseudonym as it's not like his usual material. King made forays into scifi and other genres during his early career, in fact Carrie can be said to have scifi elements as the main character has superpowers of a sort. Running Man was written in 1980, I think. It pretty much predicted reality TV, although the plot of the reality show in the story is much darker than real life reality TV, and America is in much worse shape in the story than it is today, it's more like, I guess the best analogy would be Argentina.

Darialan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Nov 2012, 6:28 pm

I checked out Battle Royale 1 & 2 before Hunger Games and HG seemed kinda...meh. I'd much rather see BR again. HG seemed like a rip off of BR and that's a Japanese film.

Darkone101
Toucan
Toucan

18 Nov 2012, 9:18 pm

Battle Royale is like hunger games? Battle Royale is from the1970s and way darker/real vs hunger games. I felt each death of Battle Royale vs half the death passed over in hunger games.

Darialan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Nov 2012, 10:11 pm

Darkone101 wrote:
Battle Royale is like hunger games? Battle Royale is from the1970s and way darker/real vs hunger games. I felt each death of Battle Royale vs half the death passed over in hunger games.
Battle Royale / Japan /2000.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0266308/

Darkone101
Toucan
Toucan

19 Nov 2012, 12:13 am

Darialan wrote:
Darkone101 wrote:
Battle Royale / Japan /2000.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0266308/
my bad.