Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

finger
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

User avatar

Joined: 15 Oct 2012
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 96

04 Nov 2012, 9:42 pm

My doctor gave me some prozac so I can better control OCD and general anxiety while I wait to talk to a specialist, but this raises a question. Why with every drug are there people creating conspiracies to stop people from using them. These same people are people who from my experience binge on weed and are paranoid that the government creates these medication not because people are "depressed" but because the government wants to control them and use them when they're most likely living off government funds. I know that's not true with everyone, but in my small personal life it is. I DON'T UNDERSTAND. 8O



MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 May 2010
Age: 59
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,746
Location: New England

04 Nov 2012, 9:51 pm

Whoo boy.

Like you said, you know it's not true with everyone, and this is from your own "small personal life," right?

Wouldn't this then be a pretty sweeping generalization based on fairly little evidence?


_________________
I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...


finger
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

User avatar

Joined: 15 Oct 2012
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 96

04 Nov 2012, 10:00 pm

MrXxx wrote:
Whoo boy.

Like you said, you know it's not true with everyone, and this is from your own "small personal life," right?

Wouldn't this then be a pretty sweeping generalization based on fairly little evidence?

For example:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m3c2L_r4rM[/youtube]
I don't understand why, they help people. They're not in the heads of the people who need these drugs to function.



chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Aug 2012
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,673
Location: united states

04 Nov 2012, 10:17 pm

there are a lot of people prescribed these powerful drugs that truly did not need them. they become dependent and everything seems to go down hill.



finger
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

User avatar

Joined: 15 Oct 2012
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 96

04 Nov 2012, 10:20 pm

chris5000 wrote:
there are a lot of people prescribed these powerful drugs that truly did not need them. they become dependent and everything seems to go down hill.
I forgot that part of it, I feel silly.



MrStewart
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Sep 2012
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 634

04 Nov 2012, 10:42 pm

I don't understand that attitude either. People are happy that medications help with a wide variety of ailments and disorders, but are also inexplicably angry that pharmaceutical companies are profitable.



Moondust
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 29 May 2012
Age: 58
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,576

04 Nov 2012, 11:46 pm

Many people need to resort to Prozac in order to survive in a society that is sick, when they're not the sick ones. Rather than improve society, we're prescribed Prozac to cope with it - this is the claim of those who fight this phenomenon. Moreover, they say, Prozac makes us feel ok enough with our fate that we don't rebel - which is the ultimate fear of the powers that be.

So pharmaceutical companies make billions, taking advantage of this situation. They're not the enemy, though, just opportunists. Tomorrow they'll invent an electronic Prozac (like the electronic cigarette) and it'll be hitech that has its golden opportunity in this state of affairs.

Eg: I started taking Prozac when I wasn't able to survive because I was fired from every job on the grounds of me being "weird in an unexplainable way". Instead of changing laws to protect autistics in the workplace, improving the social assistance and benefits, educating the public about autism, etc. etc. - they medicate me so I accept my fate with a docile smile on my face.

I'm glad Prozac exists and I can take it, because I wouldn't have survived without it, as society wouldn't change fast enough anyway.


_________________
There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats - Albert Schweitzer


Last edited by Moondust on 04 Nov 2012, 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EstherJ
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Apr 2012
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,039
Location: The long-lost library at Alexandria

04 Nov 2012, 11:48 pm

Moondust wrote:
Many people need to resort to Prozac in order to survive in a society that is sick, when they're not the sick ones. Rather than improve society, we're prescribed Prozac to cope with it - this is the claim of those who fight this phenomenon. Moreover, they say, Prozac makes us feel ok enough with our fate that we don't rebel - which is the ultimate fear of the powers that be.

Eg: I started taking Prozac when I wasn't able to survive because I was fired from every job on the grounds of me being "weird in an unexplainable way". Instead of changing laws to protect autistics in the workplace, improving the social assistance and benefits, educating the public about autism, etc. etc. - they medicate me so I accept my fate with a docile smile on my face.

I'm glad Prozac exists and I can take it, because I wouldn't have survived without it, as society wouldn't change fast enough anyway.


I'm trying my hardest to work on society....drugs are my last option, but I wouldn't denounce them for those that need them to make it.

I am trying not to get that way. Hope it doesn't happen.

Society is a beast, guys...



Moondust
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 29 May 2012
Age: 58
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,576

04 Nov 2012, 11:56 pm

I fought it for many, many years, till one day it was either starting to take the Prozac or giving up on life. I'm one of the lucky ones with no side effects and the meds really do what I need them to do, so I don't complain.


_________________
There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats - Albert Schweitzer


Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Aug 2010
Age: 56
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,938
Location: Homeward bound

05 Nov 2012, 2:20 am

mljt
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 18 Aug 2012
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 353

05 Nov 2012, 6:08 am

I'm a great believer that problems should be dealt with from the cause, not just have the symptoms dumbed down. I understand that anti depressants help people but I've seen so many friends put on things like Prozac with disastrous consequences. They should only ever be used when there is nothing else that would help, or to aid the person to be able to do other things to help, such as therapy. They're useful for balancing moods to allow people to do those things.

One friend has a lot of problems with depression, largely stemming from being abused as a child. His doctor was aware of this and rather than getting him counselling and support, he stuck him on Prozac. He then ran out of pills as he was so zombie-fied he forgot to get a new prescription. Then he tried to kill himself and ended up being committed. Of course this may have happened regardless of Prozac, but I think the doctor was grossly irresponsible by just prescribing medication for something which was due to external causes.



MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 May 2010
Age: 59
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,746
Location: New England

05 Nov 2012, 6:59 am

finger wrote:
MrXxx wrote:
Whoo boy.

Like you said, you know it's not true with everyone, and this is from your own "small personal life," right?

Wouldn't this then be a pretty sweeping generalization based on fairly little evidence?


I don't understand why, they help people. They're not in the heads of the people who need these drugs to function.


I understood your point. I'm not saying there aren't people like this. I know there are. I've seen it and heard it.

I guess my point was more about the fact that you may be generalizing a little too much. If the meds are helping you, why focus on negative messages about it?

I've been on Prozac a few times for long periods, and it helped me a great deal each time. Just wondering why you would focus on the negative about it if your experience isn't negative.

There are nay-sayers about everything under the sun. I choose not to listen to them unless I have some good reason to look into something that is having a negative impact on my life. For example, I didn't bother to watch the video. Hope you aren't insulted, but it's just a repeat message I've seen and heard already that as far as I am concerned doesn't apply to me. It seemed to me that you feel it doesn't apply to you either. So why waste time with it?

That's all I'm saying.


_________________
I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...


Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Aug 2010
Age: 56
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,938
Location: Homeward bound

05 Nov 2012, 11:31 am

Most people with good things to say
Are employed by organisations
That pay their staff
To promote medications and quackery

Most people without good things to say
Have no financial reasons for their views

In fact
They limit potential money
By speaking their mind
Rather than those who speak
For money....
Follow the money
As per usual

Truth is hidden behind money

“Imagine a society that subjects people to conditions that make them terribly unhappy then gives them the drugs to take away their unhappiness. Science fiction It is already happening to some extent in our own society. Instead of removing the conditions that make people depressed modern society gives them antidepressant drugs. In effect antidepressants are a means of modifying an individual's internal state in such a way as to enable him to tolerate social conditions that he would otherwise find intolerable.”
― Theodore Kaczynski