Page 1 of 5 [ 70 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2012
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,051
Location: San Jose

05 Nov 2012, 12:17 am

Now here is another rather controversial topic at first I would say no to the question but I wonder since in their shoes they are fighting for their way of life and land just in an extreme way.Feel free to put your imput on the issue.


_________________
Your Aspie score is 193 of 200
Your neurotypical score is 40 of 200
You are very likely an aspie
No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList


Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 65
Gender: Male
Posts: 57,203
Location: Stendec

05 Nov 2012, 12:29 am

No.


_________________
 
• Veritas Illuminata • Semper Illuminans • Custodiamus Veritas •
• Et Serviunt Qui Non Videntur •


blackelk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 24 Jan 2009
Age: 43
Gender: Male
Posts: 308
Location: New York

05 Nov 2012, 12:44 am

Many of them are fighting injustice but they target innocent people so I don't feel sympathy for them. I can somewhat understand the motivation and helplessness that leads them to it though.

One could make the argument they are the truest soldiers. They are fighting for what they believe in. A deep belief. Most soldiers of a nation are fighting for paycheck or some kind of blind loyalty. They are going to war simply because they were ordered to, they don't have a deep connection to the cause. They are basically mercenaries. A jihadist fights for his own conscience.


_________________
"Meaninglessness inhibits fullness of life and is therefore equivalent to illness. Meaning makes a great many things endurable ? perhaps everything.?


Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 65
Gender: Male
Posts: 57,203
Location: Stendec

05 Nov 2012, 12:48 am

PFEH!

They are TERRORISTS!

If there was anything noble about them, they would not target non-combatants like women and children.

They deserve less sympathy than Charles Manson, Jeffrey Dahmer, and Ted Kaczynski, and deserve to only be treated the same.


_________________
 
• Veritas Illuminata • Semper Illuminans • Custodiamus Veritas •
• Et Serviunt Qui Non Videntur •


blackelk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 24 Jan 2009
Age: 43
Gender: Male
Posts: 308
Location: New York

05 Nov 2012, 12:54 am

Fnord wrote:
PFEH!

They are TERRORISTS!

If there was anything noble about them, they would not target non-combatants like women and children.

They deserve less sympathy than Charles Manson, Jeffrey Dahmer, and Ted Kaczynski, and deserve to only be treated the same.


They target the military too. The Soviet invasion of Afghanistan for example, and other occupiers. Those are noble causes.


_________________
"Meaninglessness inhibits fullness of life and is therefore equivalent to illness. Meaning makes a great many things endurable ? perhaps everything.?


Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 65
Gender: Male
Posts: 57,203
Location: Stendec

05 Nov 2012, 1:42 am

blackelk wrote:
Fnord wrote:
PFEH! They are TERRORISTS! If there was anything noble about them, they would not target non-combatants like women and children. They deserve less sympathy than Charles Manson, Jeffrey Dahmer, and Ted Kaczynski, and deserve to only be treated the same.
They target the military too. The Soviet invasion of Afghanistan for example, and other occupiers. Those are noble causes.

Ooo ... so because they also kill military members, we should just hand them all a cookie, pat them on their heads, and wish them a happy day?

B U L L S N O T ! ! !

The fact that JIHADISTS TARGET CHILDREN FOR DEATH earns them nothing less than my heartfelt hatred! They're as bad as pedophiles, and those monsters deserve no sympathy at all.

In my opinion, anyone who sympathizes with jihadists and pedophiles may as well be one of them.


_________________
 
• Veritas Illuminata • Semper Illuminans • Custodiamus Veritas •
• Et Serviunt Qui Non Videntur •


AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2012
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,051
Location: San Jose

05 Nov 2012, 2:09 am

In my opinion they are desperate and have nothing to lose so they.probably feel that taking civilians lives with them is a noble cause but in reality they are losing and wasting lives along the way.


_________________
Your Aspie score is 193 of 200
Your neurotypical score is 40 of 200
You are very likely an aspie
No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList


Last edited by AspieOtaku on 05 Nov 2012, 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

blackelk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 24 Jan 2009
Age: 43
Gender: Male
Posts: 308
Location: New York

05 Nov 2012, 2:14 am

Fnord wrote:
blackelk wrote:
Fnord wrote:
PFEH! They are TERRORISTS! If there was anything noble about them, they would not target non-combatants like women and children. They deserve less sympathy than Charles Manson, Jeffrey Dahmer, and Ted Kaczynski, and deserve to only be treated the same.
They target the military too. The Soviet invasion of Afghanistan for example, and other occupiers. Those are noble causes.

Ooo ... so because they also kill military members, we should just hand them all a cookie, pat them on their heads, and wish them a happy day?

B U L L S N O T ! ! !

The fact that JIHADISTS TARGET CHILDREN FOR DEATH earns them nothing less than my heartfelt hatred! They're as bad as pedophiles, and those monsters deserve no sympathy at all.

In my opinion, anyone who sympathizes with jihadists and pedophiles may as well be one of them.


You're just emotional as usual. Nobody said anything about patting them on the head.

As somebody said, a terrorist is somebody with a bomb but without an air force. Western nations kill far more children. Just look at the little skirmish recently in Libya. Hundreds and hundreds of cruise missiles landed there, tons of sorties flown, etc. Can you imagine hundreds of cruise missiles landing in your country, and the constant roar of jets bombing the f**k out of the place? Over 5,000 were flown over Libya.


_________________
"Meaninglessness inhibits fullness of life and is therefore equivalent to illness. Meaning makes a great many things endurable ? perhaps everything.?


MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Apr 2011
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,022
Location: The Peoples Republic Of Portland

05 Nov 2012, 2:57 am

it is a left wing impulse to say that morality is all relative and draw moral equivalents.... they have their suicide bombers, we have our abortion clinic bombers, its all relative, we shouldn't judge. The terrorists are weak, and fighting the powers that be, and the Left also identify's with that as well. There is no objective morality, the weak, the poor, the powerless are to be admired and the strong, the rich, and the powerful criticized. That is how the left everywhere divide the world. One mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter is never said about the US military. The left never shrug at the negative accusations thrown at our military, and use that line. So for them, it is only true about terrorists, and secondly, those terrorists are freedom fighters. The question they do love to ask is "What did we do to deserve this?" It is an interesting question, mainly because I have yet to understand the motivations behind it. If anyone knows, feel free to enlighten me.


_________________
It is not up to you to finish the task, nor are you free to desist from trying.


CornerPuzzlePieces
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 27 Feb 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 308
Location: B.C Canada

05 Nov 2012, 3:49 am

blackelk wrote:
Many of them are fighting injustice but they target innocent people so I don't feel sympathy for them. I can somewhat understand the motivation and helplessness that leads them to it though.

One could make the argument they are the truest soldiers. They are fighting for what they believe in. A deep belief. Most soldiers of a nation are fighting for paycheck or some kind of blind loyalty. They are going to war simply because they were ordered to, they don't have a deep connection to the cause. They are basically mercenaries. A jihadist fights for his own conscience.


Doesn't matter how deep someone's precious beliefs are, they don't excuse ones actions.

Religious people in general fail to grasp this, thinking it's ok if someone else "accepts" your mistakes as their own.


It is ironic though, that troops from North America are praised for doing basically the same thing as the "bad guys".



AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2012
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,051
Location: San Jose

05 Nov 2012, 4:00 am

blackelk wrote:
Fnord wrote:
blackelk wrote:
Fnord wrote:
PFEH! They are TERRORISTS! If there was anything noble about them, they would not target non-combatants like women and children. They deserve less sympathy than Charles Manson, Jeffrey Dahmer, and Ted Kaczynski, and deserve to only be treated the same.
They target the military too. The Soviet invasion of Afghanistan for example, and other occupiers. Those are noble causes.

Ooo ... so because they also kill military members, we should just hand them all a cookie, pat them on their heads, and wish them a happy day?

B U L L S N O T ! ! !

The fact that JIHADISTS TARGET CHILDREN FOR DEATH earns them nothing less than my heartfelt hatred! They're as bad as pedophiles, and those monsters deserve no sympathy at all.

In my opinion, anyone who sympathizes with jihadists and pedophiles may as well be one of them.


You're just emotional as usual. Nobody said anything about patting them on the head.

As somebody said, a terrorist is somebody with a bomb but without an air force. Western nations kill far more children. Just look at the little skirmish recently in Libya. Hundreds and hundreds of cruise missiles landed there, tons of sorties flown, etc. Can you imagine hundreds of cruise missiles landing in your country, and the constant roar of jets bombing the f**k out of the place? Over 5,000 were flown over Libya.
That is nothing compared to what we did to Hiroshima and Nagasaki.


_________________
Your Aspie score is 193 of 200
Your neurotypical score is 40 of 200
You are very likely an aspie
No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList


Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jul 2012
Age: 42
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,612

05 Nov 2012, 4:32 am

If they only would fight for themselves to have their own way of life, there would be no problem about it.

The problem is, they are fighting to FORCE their way of life on OTHER people.

The right to live your way of life, stops on your own self. Forcing it to everyones else by weapon instead free democracy (meaning, that people are free to leave a country if they do not want to life under the actual democratic laws), including your children, your wife, your neighbours... is not acceptable.

You wanna live in a hole under the earth, believing that the holy spagetthimonster will come soon to end the world, and to take everyone with it on an UFO to a paradise at another star? Go have fun with it. Just dont force that believe on other people.



Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,254
Location: Seattle-ish

05 Nov 2012, 4:50 am

Depends on the jihadi in question.


_________________
“The totally convinced and the totally stupid have too much in common for the resemblance to be accidental.”
-- Robert Anton Wilson


GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Sep 2009
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,880

05 Nov 2012, 5:21 am

Some jihadists are essentially cannon-fodder, having been subjected to a targeted indoctrination with the sole purpose of carrying out suicide attacks.

The Pakistan/Kashmir based Lashkar-E-Taiba is good at using these, as they have their own infrastructue and "educational" system.

Some sources claim that this guy (the sole surviving perpetrator of the 2008 Mumbai attacks) apparently had only a rudimentary grasp of Islamic scripture:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ajmal_Kasab

Of course, being the only one left to take responsibility for 164 deaths, the highest realistic level of "sympathy" he can hope for is to have his death sentence commuted.

But it may be a mood point. A lot of confrontations with jihadists are on the battlefield, and not in the safety of the courtroom where pros and cons of sentences and sanctions can be discussed rationally. Questions of sympathy may not be awfully relevant while under fire from the enemy.



MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2009
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,007

05 Nov 2012, 7:16 am

Many Jihadists aren't even from the country in question (iraq, afghanistan). When they're out fighting the occupiers, they don't have to worry about tearing up their backyard to do it. Not only do they kill men, women, and children for not being on their side, they kill them just to get a shot at us. I've seen one suicide bomber take out over 10 civillians just to blow up our convoy, and thanks to our armor, all he did to us was lacerate one of the driver's knees.

Not to say that we're supposed to be in thouse countries ourselves, it's just that we keep bombs off their roads and try to build an infrastructure that the populace will actually need, jihadists try to blow it all up and blame us.



marshall
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Apr 2007
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,752
Location: Turkey

05 Nov 2012, 9:49 am

blackelk wrote:
Many of them are fighting injustice but they target innocent people so I don't feel sympathy for them. I can somewhat understand the motivation and helplessness that leads them to it though.

One could make the argument they are the truest soldiers. They are fighting for what they believe in. A deep belief. Most soldiers of a nation are fighting for paycheck or some kind of blind loyalty. They are going to war simply because they were ordered to, they don't have a deep connection to the cause. They are basically mercenaries. A jihadist fights for his own conscience.


People can be 100% sincere in their belief that they are fighting for a just and noble cause and still be do great evil. Take abortion clinic bombers for instance. If they truly believe killing a human embryo is comparable to murdering a living human being I can see how they might be enraged to the point they could justify murdering doctors in retaliation. Timothy McVeigh also had legitimate reason to feel outrage towards the federal government considering how badly they screwed up in the Waco situation.