Officially diagnosed with Aspergers today at 38 years old

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Gazelle
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2012, 8:20 pm

Welcome to WP and I was also tested later in life and I have textbook non-verbal learning disorder and possibly ASD. For me it has been positive and negative at the same time. It is positive in that now I know why I have always felt different and why I have felt socially awkward for a lot of my life. It has been negative in that it is difficult to accept and difficult because I want to get better and feel more confident again. (Had other things happen the past few years that did not help my self confidence).

raj74
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Nov 2012, 8:56 pm

Thanks again for all the support, at least i have somewhere that now feels like home. And to 'plodder' I'm from london. Also when doing CBT they will adjust according to the condition you have, so i think that is why you had a hard time. I will refuse to do things that if i feel they are trying to push me to hard and would argue my case as to why not (i am currently extremely stubborn).

To be honest my family situation stems from my condition. As i have 2 disabled sisters but because of my numerous issues i am ashamed to say i am unable to provide what a brother should. The burden has fell solely on my other sister who resents and hates me for being selfish, self absorbed and at times evil as she says i have no guilt. I therefore have no relationship (iwe were close when younger) with her or one of mydisabled sisters as they refuse to speak to me unless they are arguing. I have told them to give me time to adjust to my condition but they are just so fed up now and don't care.

Also i am trying to use my condition to my benefit and have start drawing again religously (i have had 2 48 hours sessions with only 3 hours for sleep and breaks, but i don't anymore), to accelerate my talent . And it works as my drawing has progresed so rapidly that i am already at an extremely high level but will not be satisfied till i'm one of the best in the world (i'm very serious). One day i might give you a link to my new 'Deviantart' online art folder that i just set up if anyone is intersted.

windtreeman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Nov 2012, 9:12 pm

Great to hear you now have the professional documentation to back up what you already knew, seems like it would be somewhat of a relief if you'd have trouble getting people to believe there was something genuinely different about you. I'm kind of in your shoes, just a few years prior :D (I'm 24 right now) and have my initial screening for a full Asperger's Syndrome assessment tomorrow evening. I know what you mean with the difficult family relationship, It's tough and I hope you find some peace in the new diagnosis!

raj74
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Nov 2012, 9:53 pm

To 'windtreeman', to be honest regardless of the doctors diagnosis, i knew i had 'aspergers' anyway. And i told him that midaway through my assesment (he was extremely abrupt and rude so be prepared). I then told him that whatever his diagnosis 'it is his opinion, but it does not make a difference to me'. In reality i was lieing as when he immediately replied that he fully agreed with me i was extremely relieved.

Well good luck tommorow, just remember they are only human beings and it is there 'opinion'. You know yourself better than anyone else the hardships you have had to go through that has made you seek proffesional help.