Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Jayo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2012, 9:23 pm

I stumbled across this comment on a CNN discussion board, and it made me think of another comment that somebody posted recently, about how Jimmy Carter might have been on the spectrum due to his honesty and intelligence yet was not a very charismatic and smoke-and-mirrors kind of guy. I'd say he may have been borderline...

mrpopular- Actually, Jimmy Carter is a genius, going by IQ tests. You do realize he made 'A's in Master's level Nuclear Physics classes, right? He wasn't some sharecroppin'/tenant peanut farmer growing a couple of acres of peanuts on the side of the highway, you know.

The Carter plantation is a huge operation. You think the people that feed you (farmers) are stupid? Washington, Jefferson, and many other of our great presidents were farmers.

And I don't remember that Ronald Reagan ever ran a business. Carter's main problem was that he was a "Washington outsider", and, once elected, refused to do the shady but necessary "backroom deals" as president.

Carter was too smart and too honest to lead a morally bankrupt country. Carter at least told the truth, Reagan told the people what they wanted to hear.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2012, 9:28 pm

GROOAAANN!

Please, make it stop!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2012, 9:57 pm

Jayo wrote:
mrpopular- Actually, Jimmy Carter is a genius, going by IQ tests. You do realize he made 'A's in Master's level Nuclear Physics classes, right?

I see no reason why anyone studying nuclear engineering would be required to take a graduate course in nuclear physics. The two disciplines are entirely different.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2012, 10:01 pm

Jayo wrote:
Carter was too smart and too honest to lead a morally bankrupt country. Carter at least told the truth, Reagan told the people what they wanted to hear.

A reporter who accompanied Carter for several days on the campaign trail during the 1976 campaign in order to do a story about Carter for Harpers magazine asserted that much of what Carter told the audiences was a lie.

As a President, Carter was quite inept. But where he really failed was as a former President. He is quite likely the worst "former President" the United States has ever had. Witness, for example, his being drawn into and becoming a spokesman for BCCI.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2012, 10:24 pm

eric76 wrote:
Jayo wrote:
mrpopular- Actually, Jimmy Carter is a genius, going by IQ tests. You do realize he made 'A's in Master's level Nuclear Physics classes, right?

I see no reason why anyone studying nuclear engineering would be required to take a graduate course in nuclear physics. The two disciplines are entirely different.

That's probably overstating the case. "mrpopular" may have meant that he got A's in his undergrad physics classes, though that's not as impressive. There was a guy in the undergrad physics program that I was in years ago who was in the Navy, and afterwards he went the "Navy's nuke school" instead of an MA or Phd program. So, he would've ended up with a BA in Physics, and whatever the Navy calls graduating from it's "nuke school" (I'm guessing it probably has the word "engineering" in it).

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2012, 10:31 pm

Nuclear physics is concerned with the physics of elementary particles.

Nuclear engineering is concerned with building and operating safe nuclear reactors to contain and use nuclear fission, a relatively simple application from nuclear physics.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2012, 10:45 pm

eric76 wrote:

No, that's not correct. That would be "particle physics" -- there is also a field called "nuclear physics" which could probably be accurately defined as being about nuclear reactions. There is also solid-state physics, and other branches of physics that I can't remember off the top of my head.

Quote:
Nuclear engineering is concerned with building and operating safe nuclear reactors to contain and use nuclear fission, a relatively simple application from nuclear physics.

The principles of nuclear engineering come from physics, so a nuclear engineer is going to need to understand a substantial amount of nuclear physics. With a field like electrical engineering it's probably not normally necessary to know quantum theory, but with nuclear engineering that's going to be important.

JRR
Toucan
Toucan

05 Nov 2012, 10:48 pm

Even if he was, are we supposed to be proud of it? He's considered to be the "wet noodle" of all presidents these days.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2012, 10:51 pm

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
eric76 wrote:

No, that's not correct. That would be "particle physics" -- there is also a field called "nuclear physics" which could probably be accurately defined as being about nuclear reactions. There is also solid-state physics, and other branches of physics that I can't remember off the top of my head.

You are right. I tend to group them both into the same field.

Quote:
Quote:

The principles of nuclear engineering come from physics, so a nuclear engineer is going to need to understand a substantial amount of nuclear physics. With a field like electrical engineering it's probably not normally necessary to know quantum theory, but with nuclear engineering that's going to be important.

They would need to know the portions that apply to nuclear fission, not much more.

In the mid 70s, a lot of my friends and acquaintances were physicists. They were all laughing at Jimmy Carter's claims to be a nuclear physicist.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2012, 10:59 pm

JRR wrote:
Even if he was, are we supposed to be proud of it? He's considered to be the "wet noodle" of all presidents these days.

Carter is starting to look a bit better in comparison.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2012, 11:12 pm

carter got the nobel peace prize and is responsible for almost eliminating river blindness in africa. give the guy a little credit. he also does a lot for habitat for humanity.

sisugirl
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Nov 2012, 11:45 pm

Don't know how many of you lived through the Carter administration, but I was a young adult then. If we would have continued to follow his example, we wouldn't be so energy dependent and maybe we wouldn't have this much global warming if we would have continued to conserve energy. Reagan dismantled everything Carter did to help the country become energy independent.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2012, 12:34 am

During his presidency, Jimmy Carter helped to put both human rights and energy policy on the map.

And during the Iranian Hostage Crisis, he played a steady eddie poker game/ chess game, and got all the American hostages home safely, not so much at embarrassment of the country, but at embarrassment of himself. So, it is like he sacrificed of himself, he took on blame, for the sake of others.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2012, 5:14 am

AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
During his presidency, Jimmy Carter helped to put both human rights and energy policy on the map.

And during the Iranian Hostage Crisis, he played a steady eddie poker game/ chess game, and got all the American hostages home safely, not so much at embarrassment of the country, but at embarrassment of himself. So, it is like he sacrificed of himself, he took on blame, for the sake of others.

That is a great piece of spin.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2012, 2:36 pm

eric76 wrote:
AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:

That is a great piece of spin.

As is this comment.