Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Comp_Geek_573
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2012, 11:58 pm

I'm trying to teach myself how to program for the Android phone.

The emulator for the latest SDK (#16, 4.1.2) runs unusably slow. The earliest one (#3, 1.5) runs way faster. #10 (2.3.3) is slow but usable.

It doesn't matter which CPU type I select. It doesn't matter how much memory I assign to it. I have an Intel Core Duo with each core running at 2.13 GHz, and 4 GB of RAM.

The slowness of these emulators is frustrating me, and making me want to do this way less than I should. Does anyone here have any tricks to improve emulator performance? Paying the $25 license fee would enable me to put stuff on an actual phone, but I'm only running Gingerbread on that - so I STILL won't be able to test on Jelly Bean without a much, much larger investment!

AQ: 33

LookTwice
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Nov 2012, 12:49 pm

You don't need to pay for a license just to test on a device.
Have you tried the things suggested in http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1554 ... d-emulator yet?

Comp_Geek_573
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2012, 12:32 am

I've seen that. Very, VERY marginal improvement in load time for the device, since it instead takes significant time to CLOSE when I savestate!

That's not even my main problem! I can accept it being slow to boot. But the problem is that API 16 literally runs at about ONE FRAME PER SECOND. Any suggestions for speeding that up? And whether I have to pay to test on an actual device or not, my actual device is only at API 10 I think, and getting an actual Jelly Bean android will certainly run me hundreds!

AQ: 33

LookTwice
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Nov 2012, 3:37 am

Have you considered Android x86?

Does your AVD use the GPU?
http://developer.android.com/tools/devi ... l-graphics