Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2012, 12:49 pm

When it is said that one has the inalienable right to liberty I see what is called two sets of conditions which are conflicting. http://www.onegoodmove.org/fallacy/conflict.htm

These are the definitions of the word liberty:
http://oxforddictionaries.com/definitio ... &q=liberty

This is the definition of the term inalienable:
http://oxforddictionaries.com/definitio ... nalienable

If liberty is truthfully an inalienable right and liberty can’t be given away or taken away from the possessor then how is it logically possible, using the definition of inalienable, that due process can take away a person’s liberty?

By the logical definition of inalienable how is it logically correct to put a person in prison?

If a person must be placed in prison as punishment for his crimes and to protect others in society then how is the right to liberty logically derived to be inalienable when this exception must exist and exists today?

How does one derive that liberty is an inalienable right if morality and due process are exceptions to the condition of inalienable?

I do not logically understand this whatsoever.

trappedinhell
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2012, 9:37 pm

I agree. the whole concept of rights is wrong, because rights that can be given can be taken away, and words are cheap. I would rather replace "rights" with "right" - what is consistent?

So much of what we consider to be our "right" is accident of birth (rights relating to citizenship) or "because we say so" (rights we vote on). The class system and divine rights are alive and well: we are still medieval in our foundational ideas.

Seabass
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Nov 2012, 6:07 pm

I like to consider liberty a natural right, which I've had since birth, which is also inalienable. Unfortunately government sometimes creates laws which denies the people its natural rights.

BookPerson
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Nov 2012, 6:12 pm

I believe if you read John Locke's work, he goes into a more in-depth explanation of the concept of natural rights. By this, I mean that Locke starts at a very basic philosophical level and builds his case from there.

The whole subject, though, prompts questions about what those rights are. Locke believed, and I agree with him, that we have natural rights to life, liberty (i.e. acting as one pleases as long as one does not infringe upon another), and property.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2012, 11:29 pm

BookPerson wrote:
I believe if you read John Locke's work, he goes into a more in-depth explanation of the concept of natural rights. By this, I mean that Locke starts at a very basic philosophical level and builds his case from there.

The whole subject, though, prompts questions about what those rights are. Locke believed, and I agree with him, that we have natural rights to life, liberty (i.e. acting as one pleases as long as one does not infringe upon another), and property.

most definetly will thank you.

I tried to read it last night but for me it was a difficult read. It definetely can't be read on a glance. I will have to make myself some time and try to work through it. I will probably need help to do so.

I think I may know what I am doing wrong.