Stop Lab Experimentation and Eating of Chimpanzees

Page 3 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Feb 2012
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,791
Location: Where two great rivers meet

08 Nov 2012, 10:35 am

8O :o

How did you know! That was so freaky!


_________________
To build may have to be the slow and laborious task of years. To destroy can be the thoughtless act of a single day. - Winston Churchill


MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Jan 2009
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Posts: 9,896
Location: Stoke, England (sometimes :P)

08 Nov 2012, 10:43 am

Oh.. wow, aren't you just hilarious. I am... um... rolling around pissing myself with laughter. Ooh, what next Mr Comedian?


_________________
What film do atheists watch on Christmas?
Coincidence on 34th street.


Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Feb 2012
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,791
Location: Where two great rivers meet

08 Nov 2012, 10:48 am

You're probably being sarcastic.

It's fine, that's just my usual modus operandi for this kind of stuff. I found Solvejg's initial comment quite funny, and answering that by wishing she had ebola sounded quite rude to me. Like comparing me to some guy making an ugly face, I don't find it particulary insulting, really, but I know it was meant to be and the intent is what matters to me. That moved me to break my usual rule of not joking with sensitive issues in front of a sensitive audience.

I did have some fun writing that though :lol:


_________________
To build may have to be the slow and laborious task of years. To destroy can be the thoughtless act of a single day. - Winston Churchill


Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jul 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,370

08 Nov 2012, 11:03 am

Shatbat wrote:
comparing me to some guy making an ugly face


You have it a little wrong. Your joking about eating endangered animals to mock a seriously intended thread is whats rude and uncalled for. But I was not suggesting you are ugly, I was suggesting yours and other similiar statements are moronic. Why do you keep on trying to derail the discussion ? How many times will you try the same joke before you realize we don't think its funny ?



MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Jan 2009
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Posts: 9,896
Location: Stoke, England (sometimes :P)

08 Nov 2012, 11:12 am

Shatbat wrote:
You're probably being sarcastic.

It's fine, that's just my usual modus operandi for this kind of stuff. I found Solvejg's initial comment quite funny, and answering that by wishing she had ebola sounded quite rude to me. Like comparing me to some guy making an ugly face, I don't find it particulary insulting, really, but I know it was meant to be and the intent is what matters to me. That moved me to break my usual rule of not joking with sensitive issues in front of a sensitive audience.

I did have some fun writing that though :lol:


Heh well this audience is particularly sensitive. My sister always makes bush meat jokes because she knows I take it like a punch in the guts.


_________________
What film do atheists watch on Christmas?
Coincidence on 34th street.


Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Feb 2012
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,791
Location: Where two great rivers meet

08 Nov 2012, 11:20 am

At least we can be serious now. I guess I extended the mocking a bit too much, but instead of wishing an awful illness to another person you could have taken it as the harmless joke it was and let it be, or let it know in a better way that you are really not comfortable with those kind of jokes. And now that i think of it, I could have said that I didn't like that instead of what I did with full knowledge that you would react badly to it.

I could contribute too, it was what I was going to do in the beginning anyway. I would see eating the meat of monkeys as wrong, because monkeys are endangered species and killing them for food would lead to their extintion. But I've got one case in mind: let's assume that there are a lot of monkeys around and none of them are in any danger. What's the difference between eating them and eating, let's say, a cow? An argument could be made for intelligence and sentience, but otherwise that point seems fuzzy.

MONKEY wrote:
Heh well this audience is particularly sensitive. My sister always makes bush meat jokes because she knows I take it like a punch in the guts.


Heh, I guess family and close people can pull of that kind of things :lol:. It's only natural~


_________________
To build may have to be the slow and laborious task of years. To destroy can be the thoughtless act of a single day. - Winston Churchill


JoeDirt
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

User avatar

Joined: 10 Apr 2012
Age: 47
Gender: Male
Posts: 89
Location: Holland, MI

08 Nov 2012, 11:28 am

Toy_Soldier wrote:
Why is it ok to kill animals, especially such intelligent and feeling ones, at will for our benefit? Are they our slaves ? Our property ? Do they not have the right to not being killed or tortured if it benefits us, or even just entertains us (animal fighting 'sports').

Where does this sick belief come from ?

Pinkies life is as valuable to me as yours and I might trade yours for his if I was magically given the chance. Because Pinkie was given only a very short life, never harmed anyone & wasn't an ass. Not sure about you. I know you can't tell a book by its cover, but Pinkie looks a lot more intelligent then many people I know.



Wow- what a thread. Anyhow, I only had this observation-

So in the first part of your post, you chastise for killing animals, then in the second part, you say that you would figuratively snuff another member to let the chimp live and backhand accuse that member of harming people then plan to do the same to them. Yeah, that makes sense. You're much more compassionate. Wanting to snuff someone because they don't agree with you is no different to me than someone wanting to kill an animal "at will" as you say.



Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jul 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,370

08 Nov 2012, 12:23 pm

JoeDirt wrote:

Wow- what a thread. Anyhow, I only had this observation-

So in the first part of your post, you chastise for killing animals, then in the second part, you say that you would figuratively snuff another member to let the chimp live and backhand accuse that member of harming people then plan to do the same to them. Yeah, that makes sense. You're much more compassionate. Wanting to snuff someone because they don't agree with you is no different to me than someone wanting to kill an animal "at will" as you say.


I do get carried away sometimes, but its almost always in response to someone's mocking or attack. I consider cruelty and killing of animals a serious subject.

But the person your referring to then switched to discussing it seriously and the ridiculous aspects of the conversation were dropped.

Be reasonable with me and I will be so with you.

But if you mess with me you shouldn't be surprised if I mess back, and don't expect an apology for something you start or perpetuate.

Image



Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Feb 2012
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,791
Location: Where two great rivers meet

08 Nov 2012, 12:54 pm

^ I think you quoted the wrong guy there.

Fair enough. Being reasonable is much better anyway, and my usual first approach. I've lost my patience somewhere else in these forums, but those are other people you have nothing to do with. I'm not one to apologize either, (or to demand them from someone, I don't want or expect you to apologize) and I had more where that came from, so in the end, I'm just glad we didn't allow this to escalate further :lol:

Small question, are you vegetarian or vegan or something related?


_________________
To build may have to be the slow and laborious task of years. To destroy can be the thoughtless act of a single day. - Winston Churchill