Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2012, 12:54 pm

alex wrote:
You're lucky you live in this day and age. Just think how much worse it'd be if you lived in a decade where almost everyone smoked (especially when people smoked indoors)

Used to work at a hotel from '78 til 80. The break room walls were white painted concrete blocks. They were yellow from tar. :eew: I remember everyone ravenously complaining the price of cigarettes was nearly a whole dollar!

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

CosmicCastaway
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Nov 2012, 10:31 pm

Completely agree with nearly everyone here that being near someone who is smoking is one of the most annoying things. As an asthmatic it causes me some serious breathing problems. I usually hold my breath around smokers, or (and this is a pet peeve) if someone is smoking and walking in front of me, I jog ahead of them just to be free of that rancid smell.

AQ: 39

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2012, 11:18 pm

I've always hated the smell of cigarette smoke. Every time my mum would light up when I was little, I'd get as far away from her as I could. Between the ages 7 and 10, I'd take her full cigarette boxes and attempt to throw them in the garbage. My mum would always catch me in the act with the box in my hand. The best day of my life was the day that my mum quit smoking.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2012, 11:29 pm

Ideally I'd just as soon not be around cigarette smoke but it doesn't bother me very much if it's in moderation.
I usually don't notice unless it's excessive or inside of a car.

blue1skies
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Nov 2012, 11:35 pm

That's exactly my reaction! I cannot tolerate the smell of cigarette smoke. Even one whiff of it gives me a wicked headache for the rest of the day.
I'm live near a large city where many, many people smoke. I'm quite rude if I see someone smoking. I hold my breath, pinch my nose, and dash past them until I need to breathe again. It's so irritating. I really wish it was illegal to smoke in public.

tundra
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Nov 2012, 1:26 am

often i feel like choking them. save them years of suffering.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2012, 1:53 am

I can't stand second hand smoke. I just move away from it. I also hate it when they do it at the bus stop or smoke near entrances at malls and stores. But my state outlawed public smoking and you can't smoke no more than 10 near the building so that issue is over and resrurants no longer have a smoking area and hotels have no more smoking rooms. Now I am noticing bus stops here have the no smoking signs. The days of holding my breath are over and I didn't have to deal with smokey rooms anymore when I worked at the hotel. I have no problems with smoking areas, I just stay away from them. I also don't mind if people at my home take a step outside and smoke but it doesn't stop the smell from wafting in my home and they take a step back inside.

I remember how bad it was in Canada when I was there. I couldn't go in restaurants because of the smoke. But luckily the malls there had no smoking nor stores. I was so glad to be living in the USA where fast food restaurants don't allow smoking like Canada does. Laws may have changed since then because this was back on 1999.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

cjthemadscientist
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Nov 2012, 9:52 am

Yes! Both of my parents smoked a pack a day in the house when I was growing up and didn't even care that I was sensitive to it, it made me physically ill and I was bullied for smelling like it. Now everytime someone lights up a cigarette in public I'll get as far away from the line of smoke as possible, and if I'm at home and my parents light up around me or I'm in a car with a smoker, basically somewhere I can't get away, I have a meltdown. I hate it.

dunya
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Nov 2012, 12:36 pm

I'm sensitive to it. If someone is smoking in the garden I can tell from my room on the floor above.
I hold my breath if I have to pass a smoker on the street.
I notice it more than I used to I think because smoking is allowed in fewer public places and I don't have to endure it on a daily basis now.
Some people have tobacco breath after smoking roll-ups and it makes me gag. :eew:

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2012, 12:40 pm

Since sometimes its windy or cold outside I think I would have preferred when it was the norm to smoke inside, I hate when the wind wastes half my cigarette or having to freeze my but off to have one.

In fact this thread kind of makes me want a cigarette, be back in a few... 8)