Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2012, 12:41 am

So, this is sort of a tangent from the 6-pack thread, now locked. Face-of-Boo was posting about how 6-pack abs are unnatural, but frankly the whole body-builder physique is unnatural and unattractive to me. If I'm fantasizing about my ideal body type, it's a guy who's in shape from doing something that he enjoys (be it running, swimming, hiking, cycling, martial arts, whatever), with a reasonable amount of body fat (but not a beer-belly or other parts hanging off). In other words, I prefer a guy who has enough of a life that he doesn't have time to hang out at a gym for half an hour or more every day (and who will hopefully enjoy doing things with me), and who enjoys eating enough that he won't turn up his nose when I make a special meal - and who maybe even enjoys cooking himself.

Does that make sense to others here, or am I too far out in fantasy-land?

revertigo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Nov 2012, 1:01 am

You have full right to find attractive whoever you want to find attractive and body builders have full right to spend their time doing a hobby something that isn't illegal. I don't really see the issiue? Or is this thread about asking who agrees body building isn't the attractive body it is made out to be?

Yuzu
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2012, 1:11 am

No, I don't think you're too far out in fantasy-land. Whatever floats your boat really.
I, for one, like men who are thin and tall like Bradly Wiggins. Preferably vegetarian.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2012, 1:16 am

revertigo wrote:
You have full right to find attractive whoever you want to find attractive and body builders have full right to spend their time doing a hobby something that isn't illegal. I don't really see the issiue? Or is this thread about asking who agrees body building isn't the attractive body it is made out to be?

The latter. I was basically taking Boo's point and expanding on it.

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2012, 4:28 am

For me, well toned bodies are nothing more than something I admire from a distance. A guy that is super fit looking will probably have interests that lend him to having that sort of body, interests which I don't share, and he probably wouldn't be interested in me because I'm not interested in doing anything sporty and fitness themed. I couldn't imagine myself dating a guy like that. I think our lifestyles and personalities would be too different and we wouldn't relate to one another. The majority of guys I've liked/crushed on have had pretty average bodies.

mv
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2012, 9:31 am

blue_bean wrote:
For me, well toned bodies are nothing more than something I admire from a distance. A guy that is super fit looking will probably have interests that lend him to having that sort of body, interests which I don't share, and he probably wouldn't be interested in me because I'm not interested in doing anything sporty and fitness themed. I couldn't imagine myself dating a guy like that. I think our lifestyles and personalities would be too different and we wouldn't relate to one another. The majority of guys I've liked/crushed on have had pretty average bodies.

^ This. Plus cuisine is my special interest and I'm always like, "Damn. You've never understood food as something more than *fuel*, have you?" It's a complete disconnect when I meet a person like that.

That being said, I desperately want to get to a point in my life when I have enough free time to concentrate on building my own body, getting back into lifting and spending some quality time at the gym. Not for looks, but for optimal health and strength. Fat chance, with two little kids and a full-time job (and a likes-to-spend-a-lot-of-time-together partner)!

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2012, 10:04 am

It does make sense, but actually, I don't think half an hour a day devoted to exercise is a lot, really, serious body builders usually spend two or three hours, and weight-lifting counts as a hobby in it's own right.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2012, 12:08 pm

That makes absolute sense. For a body builder to maintain his physique, it's 20% workouts and 80% food intake (or lack of). Food is completely reduced into the idea of fuel, and keeping whatever high protein ratio their diet demands. There's nothing wrong with being fit, but I've seen some people take it to a scary level.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2012, 8:38 pm

If you have half a spare hour, though, I'd personally be more impressed if you spend it walking or running with your dog than lifting weights or running on a treadmill.

edit:
I guess what my problem is, is this idea of 'fitness' for fitness' sake, as opposed to fitness so that you can have a good enough life that you *want* to live longer and enjoy spending time here. Or, even worse, fitness for vanity's sake. It seems so superficial and artificial.

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2012, 8:50 pm

I had a similar idea in mind when I switched from weight-lifting to gymnastics; the second one is much more entertaining, while giving similar benefits. But I remember that after spending one year weightlifting two days a week for one hour and a half, I could carry things around and open stuff more easily, run for longer, get better grades in PE, and stand toe-to-toe against heavier or more skilled oponents during Judo practice, so I think I must say that fitness itself is really useful to have a better quality of live. I focused in strength though, some people focus in muscle size which I see as inefficient and useless, but to each their own~

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2012, 8:56 pm

I lift weights and I'm a distance runner.

I've also been a physical training leader for the U.S. military for the past 8 years.

It's a hobby. Fitness makes me feel better and helps reduce the symptoms of depression, anxiety, and my movement disorder. I'm not particularly "sporty," but I do enjoy physical activity. I originally started because I needed an outlet for the stress of working around running fighter jets all day.

As for body-builders, I'm asexual and therefore have little interest in the human form to begin with. However, I have an appreciation for "extreme" bodies and for body modification in general. I find human bodies that have been pushed to the limits to be quite fascinating. Oh, and it's not "unnatural" as, technically, nothing exists "outside" of "nature."

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2012, 9:45 pm

I enjoy physical activity, too, but I'm not sure that you could pay me enough to run on a treadmill every day. I guess I just don't understand it.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2012, 9:51 pm

LKL wrote:
I enjoy physical activity, too, but I'm not sure that you could pay me enough to run on a treadmill every day. I guess I just don't understand it.

....which is precisely why I run on the road. :wink:

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2012, 9:56 pm

LKL wrote:

Are you able to do static cardio in general? (treadmill, static bicycle, escalator, etc)

I'm not, and I've tried to analyze the exact reasons why. Static cardio is incredibly boring, but strenuous enough so that I can't really thing about anything else but the fact I'm running or pedaling in the exact same spot, even if I bring a book I can't concentrate on it enough for it to entertain me. It's just every single minute getting tired oh so slowly, totally aware of it. At least I can sightsee when I do the actual walking in the outside.

But even outside, can you walk for the sake of walking? I walk 50 minutes every weekday, but that's because there are 25 minutes from my university to where I live. Otherwise I wouldn't.

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2012, 7:21 am

I'm not attracted to it at all.

I am fine with the surfer body type, or if you happen to be into a particular sport, that presents no problem for me.
But someone who simply considers exercise or food as a simple calories in / calories out mathimatical equation (especially for superficial reasons) is someone I have no interest in dating.

Life is for living.
If something interferes with your ability to live and to enjoy life to the fullest extent then something is wrong.
Whether that's through body building, eating disorders (of any kind), no interest in an activity of some kind that is physical (or forcing yourself to do one you don;t enjoy), or anything else to the extent that it impacts on your life too much to enjoy it properly.

Even while dancing I never turned down a great meal or dessert for reasons of weight or superficial reasons.

Neither food nor physical activity is a simple mathimatical calculation, and it shouldn't be treated as such - but nor should one forget that food is fuel also and physical activity keeps us healthy - to ignore either is to ignore an essential element of life and being human.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2012, 10:01 pm

Shatbat wrote:
LKL wrote:

Are you able to do static cardio in general? (treadmill, static bicycle, escalator, etc)

I'm not, and I've tried to analyze the exact reasons why. Static cardio is incredibly boring, but strenuous enough so that I can't really thing about anything else but the fact I'm running or pedaling in the exact same spot, even if I bring a book I can't concentrate on it enough for it to entertain me. It's just every single minute getting tired oh so slowly, totally aware of it. At least I can sightsee when I do the actual walking in the outside.

But even outside, can you walk for the sake of walking? I walk 50 minutes every weekday, but that's because there are 25 minutes from my university to where I live. Otherwise I wouldn't.

I have a concept II rowing machine, and my father has a really nice elliptical; If I can get past the first five or ten minutes, then it starts to feel so good that I want to keep on going until I'm really tired. Most of my exercise, though, comes from walking my dog and training in aikido: things that I do for fun, not specifically for exercise. I only get on something stationary if I can't do my regular thing, because I know I'll feel awful (physically, not for guilt) if I don't.
kjas wrote:
I'm not attracted to it at all.

I am fine with the surfer body type, or if you happen to be into a particular sport, that presents no problem for me.
But someone who simply considers exercise or food as a simple calories in / calories out mathimatical equation (especially for superficial reasons) is someone I have no interest in dating.

Life is for living.
If something interferes with your ability to live and to enjoy life to the fullest extent then something is wrong.
Whether that's through body building, eating disorders (of any kind), no interest in an activity of some kind that is physical (or forcing yourself to do one you don;t enjoy), or anything else to the extent that it impacts on your life too much to enjoy it properly.

Even while dancing I never turned down a great meal or dessert for reasons of weight or superficial reasons.

Neither food nor physical activity is a simple mathimatical calculation, and it shouldn't be treated as such - but nor should one forget that food is fuel also and physical activity keeps us healthy - to ignore either is to ignore an essential element of life and being human.

exactly.