Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2012, 10:01 pm

Shatbat wrote:
LKL wrote:
I enjoy physical activity, too, but I'm not sure that you could pay me enough to run on a treadmill every day. I guess I just don't understand it.

Are you able to do static cardio in general? (treadmill, static bicycle, escalator, etc)

I'm not, and I've tried to analyze the exact reasons why. Static cardio is incredibly boring, but strenuous enough so that I can't really thing about anything else but the fact I'm running or pedaling in the exact same spot, even if I bring a book I can't concentrate on it enough for it to entertain me. It's just every single minute getting tired oh so slowly, totally aware of it. At least I can sightsee when I do the actual walking in the outside.

But even outside, can you walk for the sake of walking? I walk 50 minutes every weekday, but that's because there are 25 minutes from my university to where I live. Otherwise I wouldn't.

I have a concept II rowing machine, and my father has a really nice elliptical; If I can get past the first five or ten minutes, then it starts to feel so good that I want to keep on going until I'm really tired. Most of my exercise, though, comes from walking my dog and training in aikido: things that I do for fun, not specifically for exercise. I only get on something stationary if I can't do my regular thing, because I know I'll feel awful (physically, not for guilt) if I don't.
kjas wrote:
I'm not attracted to it at all.

I am fine with the surfer body type, or if you happen to be into a particular sport, that presents no problem for me.
But someone who simply considers exercise or food as a simple calories in / calories out mathimatical equation (especially for superficial reasons) is someone I have no interest in dating.

Life is for living.
If something interferes with your ability to live and to enjoy life to the fullest extent then something is wrong.
Whether that's through body building, eating disorders (of any kind), no interest in an activity of some kind that is physical (or forcing yourself to do one you don;t enjoy), or anything else to the extent that it impacts on your life too much to enjoy it properly.

Even while dancing I never turned down a great meal or dessert for reasons of weight or superficial reasons.

Neither food nor physical activity is a simple mathimatical calculation, and it shouldn't be treated as such - but nor should one forget that food is fuel also and physical activity keeps us healthy - to ignore either is to ignore an essential element of life and being human.

exactly.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2012, 8:24 am

Shatbat wrote:
LKL wrote:
I enjoy physical activity, too, but I'm not sure that you could pay me enough to run on a treadmill every day. I guess I just don't understand it.

Are you able to do static cardio in general? (treadmill, static bicycle, escalator, etc)

I'm not, and I've tried to analyze the exact reasons why. Static cardio is incredibly boring, but strenuous enough so that I can't really thing about anything else but the fact I'm running or pedaling in the exact same spot, even if I bring a book I can't concentrate on it enough for it to entertain me. It's just every single minute getting tired oh so slowly, totally aware of it. At least I can sightsee when I do the actual walking in the outside.

But even outside, can you walk for the sake of walking? I walk 50 minutes every weekday, but that's because there are 25 minutes from my university to where I live. Otherwise I wouldn't.

How static is your cardio? When I do get into the gym, intervals on the treadmill can make the time go much faster, because you're focusing on each increment vs the final finish line. I've been a fan of yoga for a long time, if only to keep the aches and pains of aging at bay.

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2012, 9:55 am

I see cardio mostly as warm-up, the gym is somewhat away from the rest of the campus so jogging there takes me 8 minutes, more or less. But the way I am, it's easier for me to hold something like a back lever for 20 very exhausting seconds, all out, than to do anything with my imcreasingly sore legs for minutes on end. I'm definitely trying out HITT instead.

sudowoodo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jan 2013, 10:46 am

I would love to have a bodybuilder's physique myself. When it comes to what I'm attracted to, I don't have a preference one way or another.