Teenagers from Outer Space, the RPG.

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

MagicMike
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2006, 9:44 am

Hello everyone. Today, I want to talk about a pencil-and-paper RPG I've started playing recently, called Teenagers from Outer Space. It's a fun game, and I think may be indirectly representative of people with AS...

The premise is that some day, space aliens discover Earth. They see it, and say "wow, Earth culture is cool" as they become obsessed with action movies, fast food, and sex (until then, most aliens reproduced in pods). So in exchange for giving Earth outer-space tech like anti-gravity generators and bonk ray guns, the aliens were allowed to enroll their kids in Earth High school.

It's a silly game; you can choose to be either a Human or an Alien. Aliens get cool powers like force-fields or fire breath, and while humans get more mundane powers (like extra money or better luck), they also can Fast-Talk Aliens into thinking something is cool (It's really cool to get your human girlfriend a diamond ring...ooh, you could steal one from the jewelry shop!). Unless the Alien is really cool himself, he'll probably go along with what the human says, to the amusement of the human.

So the Aliens literally have "wrong planet" syndrome, because they literally are on the wrong planet; most of them want some degree of social acceptance but have to work at getting cool and not being used too much by humans. There are other issues to worry about like dating (there's no sex in the game though because sex isn't funny; frustration is though!), upgrading your car/UFO with the measly funds your parents give you, and stopping Disco Dwarves from Dimension X from zapping homeroom with boy-girl guns by throwing popcorn grenades.

It's a silly game, yet one that may be good for learning to deal with AS (even though I always play as an alien).

Xenon
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2006, 2:47 pm

I *love* TFOS! I have the rulebook, and always wanted to play it, either as a player or as a game master...