Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

ForestRose
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Nov 2012, 9:36 am

As a teen aspie, how often do you get them? To what intensity, and do you struggle to cope with them? How do you cope?

I've had trouble with mood swings -- going from irritable to really down on myself and hating myself to (rarely) silly happiness, to feeling restless and frustrated and as if I always need to be doing something. At times I just seem to be completely exhausted emotionally but I also have times when I'm "charged." The same happens with negativity/optimism -- my thoughts can change so much according to my mood that I find myself wondering if I'm even the same person or in the same universe. I also get really anxious about certain things, mainly social situations: I'm afraid to really reveal myself to people and so I try to internalize all of this and it gets to a point where I just can't function and literally shut down/zone out.

Is it common to have a lot more trouble with mood swings than NTs? =/

Last edited by ForestRose on 10 Nov 2012, 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

09 Nov 2012, 1:08 pm

Yes, actually. I've learned to not let it all out, but sometimes I snap at people when I'm irritable. Anger is no longer an issue for me, because I can keep it away long enough to expel that energy properly.

But yeah, I can go from having a great day to being pissed at everyone. :P

CrystalStars
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2012, 4:47 pm

I used to have frequent, intense mood swings, and still have them to this day. Listening to music has always been my way of coping with them, so nothing fancy.

Kairi96
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Nov 2012, 5:59 pm

I have mood swings, too. Most of the time my mood changes from anger to anxiety, sometimes sadness (but never a sadness as severe as depression) and I don't want to talk with anyone, while other times I feel very very happy without a reason, I start laughing and laughing and I cannot stop laughing and/or talking. Anger and uncontrollable happiness bring me problems especially when I'm in school.

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2012, 12:25 pm

My college acquaintance with AS has learned to manage his swings.It's so easy for this guy now.

My technical age-peers have learned to manage themselves far better than myself (remember we're 16, basically grown), but I just take a deep breath and envision a bright future, as honestly life is only as peachy as you feel about it.

blue1skies
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Nov 2012, 12:37 am

I get major mood swings! Few people think I'm an Aspie, but many of them tell me I act bipolar. I know this isn't actually a condition I have, but it does seem that way.

ForestRose
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Nov 2012, 12:40 pm

Thanks, everyone. :) I'm glad to know that I'm not alone (though it sucks that you all have to deal with them too :P)! I suppose that you've just got to find your own ways of controlling them...I guess I'm hoping that comes with time and experience.

/super late reply