Page 3 of 5 [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2012, 2:07 pm

[quote="Who_Am_I"]^ But men and women are shaped differently![/quote

If you are 5' 2", and have a waist thinner than 28 inches it is real easy to for a guy pass as women, whether you want to or not. Especially when someone is multi-tasking like, trying to ring up your groceries and to address you properly, as they have been instructed by management.

One of the traits of Aspergers is that we place far less value on appearance than normal people. Ladies typically dress to the nines when shopping--typically to get better service from the sales staff. In reality, sales staff is often paid by commission--you get better service by buying lots of stuff and putting money in their pockets. Similarly, you can insure great service by routinely leaving a 20 to 25% tip at your favorite restaurants.

There are TV shows in both England and the US in which folks are made over--given new wardrobes and makeup to improve their image--basically telling folks that by having a better image, you will have a better life.

McCool
Raven
Raven

11 Nov 2012, 2:09 pm

I despise makeup. My mom is all about makeup and tried to force me to wear it once I reached about 13. I, also, remember her holding me down to pluck my eyebrows a couple times too around that age. Ugh! I only wore makeup once, and I have not had my eyebrows done except for those couple of times my mom forced me.

Last edited by McCool on 11 Nov 2012, 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Plodder
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2012, 2:10 pm

Painting a mask over your face is not "self" expression. The "self" you are showing when you do that is a fake person, who isn't even you.

True "self" expression (in terms of your physical face) would be showing your true self as you truly are.

meems
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2012, 3:17 pm

Plodder wrote:
Painting a mask over your face is not "self" expression. The "self" you are showing when you do that is a fake person, who isn't even you.

True "self" expression (in terms of your physical face) would be showing your true self as you truly are.

It's kind of sad if you think your physical appearance is your "true self" , but eh. It's also not your right to decide what "true" self-expression is. And to your previous comments about men, some women aren't concerned with what men are thinking of them. I couldn't care less if any man finds me attractive.

I'm not trying to fool anyone with makeup, I wear it for myself. And it only makedms a slight difference. I only wear makeup when i go out, so maybe five to ten minutes of my time goes into applying makeup each week. Everyone I know is aware of what I look like. Anyone so shallow as to not be able to see past my physical appearance isn't worth my time anyway. If a person really thinks I'm a completely different person depending on what my face looks like, I can't be blamed for that. My face doesn't determine my personality. People don't suddenly think I'm a new person when they see me wiith makeup on. Even the girl I'm dating sometimes can't tell the difference unless I use an eyeliner that is an unnatural color.

There is much more to life than judging others by their appearance, you're really limiting yourself if you're doing that.

Plodder
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2012, 3:52 pm

meems wrote:
Plodder wrote:

It's kind of sad if you think your physical appearance is your "true self" , but eh. It's also not your right to decide what "true" self-expression is.

Read my post again.

I said "IN TERMS OF YOUR PHYSICAL FACE." You seem to have missed that part.

To me, the true self is the inwards person, not their physical body.

There are two selfs: the inward self and the physical self. I was talking solely about the physical self here - because it's that particular self that all you make-up wearers are so obsessed over.

I don't have a problem with people wearing makeup per se. What I do have a problem with is people lying to themselves (and others) about their true motives for wearing it.

Just look at how self-deluded you are:

These two statements:

Quote:
I wear it for myself.

and

Quote:
I only wear makeup when I go out

are direct contradictions, and clearly prove that what you believe about your own motives is a lie.

Think about it. If you were truly only wearing makeup for yourself, and not to impress anybody else, you would only wear it when you were alone at home, and take it off when you were about to go out and mingle in the company of others.The fact that you are doing the opposite: (only putting it on when you go outside and face other people) PROVES that you are wearing it for them, not for yourself.

People are so pathetic. Why don't they just admit the truth?

These are the only GENUINE reasons for wearing makeup that occur to me:

1. To enhance your beauty and attract men
2. To enhance your beauty and compete with other women over who is the prettiest
3. Because society says you "must"
4. Because you have some terrible scar or discoloration or extreme acne that you wish to conceal.

I'm not interested in doing 1, 2, or 3, and thankfully I do not fall into the category of number 4.

"I wear it for me" is not a valid reason - because 100% of the people who claim they "wear it for themselves, and not for anybody else" ONLY EVER PUT IT ON WHEN THEY GO OUT THE HOUSE! :lol:

Can't you see that if you were really only wearing it for yourself, you'd only wear it when you were alone at home, and would wipe it off each day before you went outside? :wink:

If you admit that people who judge you on your physical appearance are "shallow," then why are you so concerned about making your physical appearance look better than it naturally is? If the outside world will not accept your face unless it has a mask painted on it, then they're very shallow indeed.

meems
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2012, 4:30 pm

When I say "go out" I'm talking about music shows, where it's not going to matter what anyone thinks of me. When I take time out of the week to go out to a show, I want to wear eyeliner and I don't care if anyone likes it or not. I like it. I wear clothes I like, I experiment with various braids etc. It's all self-expression, but it's not meant to please anyone but me.

So if I do these things because I like it and prefer to have a style of my own, I'm pathetic for not believing I'm doing it too please others?

All we "make-up wearers" are the ones obsessed with the physical self? I focus on my physical self and you make generalizations about people who wear makeup, and go on and on trying to convince me you understand my motivations better than I do... and yet you think I'm pathetic and obsessive?

It's laughable that you're calling anyone self-deluded. And it's sad that you think doing something for one's self is meant to br hidden from everyone but yourself.

Maybe it would benefit you to stop focusing on what other women are doing, and start focusing more on yourself and why you have such a problem with what other people choose to look like or what reasons they state for doing so.

Maybe try living your own life and not trying to dictate how others live their lives.

AProudHillbilly
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Nov 2012, 4:37 pm

Meow.

I accept PMs from females only. Sorry. Personal convictions.

antifeministfrills
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Nov 2012, 4:40 pm

People definitely sometimes put on makeup without intending to leave the house, for themselves.

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2012, 5:15 pm

BanjoGirl wrote:
I never met a woman that criticized my lack of interest on make-up. Joe90, I don't know how can you bear that big amount of shallow idiots around you.

If I had a dollar for every time someone criticized my lack of make up I would be so rich by now! :lol:

But on the more serious note: I don't see wearing it or not wearing it as a problem.

The only time I see it as a problem is when you cannot go out of the house or be seen by other people and be comfortable while doing so without it on. I know plenty of women who are like that, and if it gets to that extent, then I do consider it unhealthy.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2012, 6:37 pm

Eleanor Rigby
Picks up the rice in the church where a wedding has been,
Lives in a dream.

Waits at the window
Wearing the face that she keeps in a jar by the door
Who is it for?

("Eleanor Rigby" -- Lennon/McCartney, 1966)

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

clumsybee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Nov 2012, 8:14 pm

BanjoGirl wrote:
The only time I see it as a problem is when you cannot go out of the house or be seen by other people and be comfortable while doing so without it on. I know plenty of women who are like that, and if it gets to that extent, then I do consider it unhealthy.

That's pretty much my view on makeup too, though I personally don't wear it.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

11 Nov 2012, 9:07 pm

Usually if it's for a stage/TV we will; other than that, it just seems crazy, IMO. XD

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

Sarah81
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Nov 2012, 12:58 am

I don't wear makeup. Some talented friends gave me a full makeover and I noticed I did get a lot of admiration and attention at the time from it. But I didn't feel like myself.

I feel a lot more comfortable without makeup. I do like to put on nice clothes and jewellery though.

I also find the following benefits in not wearing makeup;
firstly, I don't have to buy it, saves money.
secondly, I don't have to put it on and take it off and invest in face cleansers etc (and don't tell me I 'should' use three kinds of facial products or I'll throttle you)
thirdly, I don't have to fuss over whether my mascara smudges every time I burst into spontaneous tears
fourth, it fits very well with my belief in equality of the sexes (no need for men to wear makeup is there?)
fifth, I don't have to become a slave to the billion dollar beauty industry

As a result of appearing quite genuine, I believe I have attracted into my life only the people whom are interested in who I genuinely am. I tend to repel people who subscribe to a more superficial view of life.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2012, 8:57 am

Plodder wrote:

There are two selfs: the inward self and the physical self. I was talking solely about the physical self here - because it's that particular self that all you make-up wearers are so obsessed over.

If you admit that people who judge you on your physical appearance are "shallow," then why are you so concerned about making your physical appearance look better than it naturally is? If the outside world will not accept your face unless it has a mask painted on it, then they're very shallow indeed.

I suppose burlap sacks are next.

Plodder
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2012, 9:16 am

meems wrote:

Maybe it would benefit you to stop focusing on what other women are doing

Just because I spend five minutes of my time typing on a thread about makeup on the Internet doesn't mean I spend 100% of my time thinking about it.

I assure you I do not lie awake at night worrying about the fact that other women wear makeup. :lol: It really doesn't bother me at all. I just feel sorry for them because they lie to themselves about their real motives for doing it.

I am allowed to have my own opinions. Having an opinion does not make a person "judgmental" or "a dictator." And just because you don't like me pointing out the logical contradictions in your justifications for painting a mask on your face doesn't make it my fault. It's not my fault that you lie to yourself. You can carry on lying to yourself and getting angry for all I care. It really doesn't bother me. :wink:

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2012, 9:35 am

Plodder wrote:
meems wrote:

Maybe it would benefit you to stop focusing on what other women are doing

Just because I spend five minutes of my time typing on a thread about makeup on the Internet doesn't mean I spend 100% of my time thinking about it.

I assure you I do not lie awake at night worrying about the fact that other women wear makeup. :lol: It really doesn't bother me at all. I just feel sorry for them because they lie to themselves about their real motives for doing it.

I am allowed to have my own opinions. Having an opinion does not make a person "judgmental" or "a dictator." And just because you don't like me pointing out the logical contradictions in your justifications for painting a mask on your face doesn't make it my fault. It's not my fault that you lie to yourself. You can carry on lying to yourself and getting angry for all I care. It really doesn't bother me. :wink:

Before I head out, I shower, comb my hair, apply deodorant, dress myself in clean clothing, and apply makeup. Some of these are for hygienic reasons, but some of them are to enhance my appearance from the way I look rolling out of bed in the morning. My lack of depth must be astounding... :wink:

Last edited by MjrMajorMajor on 12 Nov 2012, 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.