Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2012, 4:11 pm

I've had my PS3 for quite some time now. I think it's a slim, but I'm not sure.

My question is, what is the average lifespan of a PS3 Slim and the lifespan of a PS3 non-slim?

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2012, 4:21 pm

I had two of the phat 80GB PS3s break down on me. The first lasted for almost three years then broke down because the vents were clogged with dust. I paid Sony $129 for a refurbished one then it broke down again about 1.5 years later even though the vents were kept clean. :?

After that I paid Sony $129 again for a refurbished 160GB slim PS3. Sony needs to take some tips from Nintendo. Nintendo consoles you can beat with a sledge hammer, and they'll still work. lol

markitzero
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Nov 2012, 5:20 am

I have a 80GB PS3 Phat that was released with Metal Gear Solid 4 Guns of the Patroit, and so far It is still kicking I try to keep the Vents clear and I don't like to run it when it is hot so when the room is over 79F I don't run it. I only run it when it is cold to keep the parts cool and cool air going across the heatsink. I do the same with my computers.

Overall with mine I have by mistake overheated it twice but I didn't just turn it off right away I got the air flowing around it and let it cool itself off and let the Fan to get back to normal from being on full speed.

Raymond_Fawkes
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2012, 10:17 am

I've had one fat ps3 that lasted like.. 2+ years, but I kept it on 24/7. My Slim I had for around 2 years I think, but half the time I don't play it or keep it on. (Also I like to add - I sit the ps3 ontop of the box it came in, away from the wall.)

Last edited by Raymond_Fawkes on 12 Nov 2012, 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

JanuaryMan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2012, 10:28 am

Providing you keep the Slim in a well ventilated room and not against any walls or in an enclosed TV stand you should be alright.
I had 1 die on me and it was the phat MGS4 version. Very poor build quality for the money it cost.

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2012, 2:39 pm

My slim has excellent ventilation (right on top of stand) and has been going strong for at least 2 years (light usage though.)

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2012, 3:02 pm

Venger wrote:
I had two of the phat 80GB PS3s break down on me. The first lasted for almost three years then broke down because the vents were clogged with dust. I paid Sony $129 for a refurbished one then it broke down again about 1.5 years later even though the vents were kept clean. :?

After that I paid Sony $129 again for a refurbished 160GB slim PS3. Sony needs to take some tips from Nintendo. Nintendo consoles you can beat with a sledge hammer, and they'll still work. lol

Also have a phat-40GB model downstairs in the living room that still works well. However, it's had fairly light usage just for DVD/blu-ray movies and Netflix Streaming although it's over 4 years old.

Colinn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2012, 4:51 pm

The newer the model, the more reliable it will be. The slims are more likely to last a considerable amount of time and its quite rare for them to get the dreaded YLOD. My own fat 80gb got the RLOD and I couldn't for the life of me figure out what was causing it, so I got a slim but then the laser burnt out on it after a year but it wasn't too hard to replace. So no serious problems yet and that's been nearly 2 years.