Will Rock/Heavy Music ever make a comeback?

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Will Rock/Heavy Music ever make a comeback?
Yes 67%  67%  [ 8 ]
No 33%  33%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 12

Noodlebug
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Nov 2012, 9:39 pm

It seems that more and more, rock music is being pushed away from the mainstream, while hip hop and generic pop are taking over. Even genres like industrial rock, which infuses elements of pop and rock/metal, never really took off. Why is this?

Do you think rock/heavy/aggressive music will ever be popular again on the radio, or will it stay in the underground?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2012, 9:41 pm

Rock isn't dying so much as it is fading away.

Maybe sometime after we're long gone, our descendents will uncover an old Al Yankovic record and wonder what all the fuss was about.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

noxnocturne
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2012, 9:57 pm

I think rock will come back. Hopefully, people will start to get sick and tired of the whole rap craze that's been around and will want to get back to something that's a little less wacky.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2012, 10:31 pm

Things were pretty ugly in the 1980's, but they got better in the 90's.

I think there's an endless cycle of "alternative" music getting co opted and ruined by big business so that people get sick of it -- and then then the next generation of "alternative" music is born or makes resurgence as people turn away from the over-popularized/over-commercialized stuff.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2012, 11:22 pm

Noodlebug wrote:
It seems that more and more, rock music is being pushed away from the mainstream, while hip hop and generic pop are taking over. Even genres like industrial rock, which infuses elements of pop and rock/metal, never really took off. Why is this?

Do you think rock/heavy/aggressive music will ever be popular again on the radio, or will it stay in the underground?

1. Industrial Rock is not the fusion of pop and rock, that's Pop Rock. The fusion of pop and metal is Glam Metal. Industrial Metal is the fusion of Post-Industrial electronic music with Metal and while it is dancier than most forms of metal it definitely isn't pop.

2. Rock and heavy/aggressive music are not the same thing. Lots of Rock isn't aggressive, including a few metal songs, and lot's of agressive music isn't rock.

3. Rock still is fairly popular, it just isn't the most popular thing right now. Things really haven't changed that much.

4. Aggressive music seems to work in a cycle. The most aggressive music never reaches mainstream popularity, but some aggressive music does. It then gets commercialized and becomes less heavy. The fans of aggressive music then ditch that and find a new form of aggressive music to meet their needs.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2012, 11:45 pm

Rock hasn't been pushed away from the mainstream, it's been modified so extensively to suit the masses that it's now hardly recognizable as rock music! For further information, please listen to any Nickelback song.

As I see it, rock has undergone kind of a shift since the 70s. It started out with folk and blues rock being pretty predominant, then shifting to....whatever all that crazy stuff from the 80s was...to alternative/grunge in the 90s and now predominantly pop rock. That's just my personal take on things though, I could be wrong.

kirostun
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Nov 2012, 12:49 am

rock hasn't been pushed away, bad parents teaching bad things to kids is the problem.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2012, 1:09 am

Stargazer43 wrote:
Rock hasn't been pushed away from the mainstream, it's been modified so extensively to suit the masses that it's now hardly recognizable as rock music! For further information, please listen to any Nickelback song.

As I see it, rock has undergone kind of a shift since the 70s. It started out with folk and blues rock being pretty predominant, then shifting to....whatever all that crazy stuff from the 80s was...to alternative/grunge in the 90s and now predominantly pop rock. That's just my personal take on things though, I could be wrong.

Pop Rock isn't the current thing, it's always been around and is probably actually less pipular now. Right now Metalcore, Post-Grunge, and Indie Rock are big.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Stoek
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2012, 2:22 am

Meh rock music has been pretty much the same for nearly 50 years. The only thing that ever changes is what is popular. Rock nowadays has pretty much become a subculture. It's only one small portion of music along with folk, rnb, dance, dubsteb, electronica, hip hop, rnb, jazz, blues, etc.

I rather like rock nowadays it's rather pure minus a few cock rock bands like nickleback.

You can goto anybar, and here music that is basically the same as what is heard 30 years ago. I like it the way things are. Wanting rock to be popular in this day and age, is bad for music in my opinion

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2012, 2:30 am

It's interesting that the big rock tours (KISS, Metallica, U2, Aerosmith, etc) are older bands. Rock will be around for a while. Nothing like good ol' crunch and roll once in a while.

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2012, 3:15 am

I'm not sure why you need to ask that, since Metal is one of the most popular genres of music, and always had a faithful crowd.

LexingtonDeville
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2012, 3:50 am

Bun wrote:
I'm not sure why you need to ask that, since Metal is one of the most popular genres of music, and always had a faithful crowd.

Exactly, most metal is underground these days, with the exception of the metalcore genre.

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe: Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion; I've watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time; like tears in rain. Time to die." Roy Batty

Rorberyllium
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2012, 10:16 am

I hope not, if it means bands like Nickleback are the biggest selling "rock" acts.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2012, 10:41 am

If Soundgarden can get back together, then there's always hope :cheers:

Rorberyllium
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2012, 1:15 pm

Bun wrote:

I agree with this. What makes metal so awesome is that it is a self-sustaining community that thrives and evolves regardless of national or global trends.

LeeAnderson
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2012, 1:59 pm

No rock as we know it is dead... And buried.