Why is it considered weird to buy action figures as a teen?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

BlueElephantKing
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Nov 2012, 3:37 pm

As of now, I am 17-years-old and still like to buy action figures. I like to buy them because I usually like a character and I make comedy skits with them on YouTube. I've been making videos with them for a year and have made 128 subscribers. My family and some of friends are fine with my hobby, but why is it considered to be a "bad" thing to buy them when you're older? Here is one of my recent YouTube videos, let me know what you think.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivwAD7XtHDk&list=PL0D85B1C4C5FB34CE&index=5&feature=plpp_video[/youtube]

JasperIan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Nov 2012, 5:59 pm

I like this, it reminds me of "Action Live Now"

BlueElephantKing
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Nov 2012, 7:14 pm

JasperIan wrote:
I like this, it reminds me of "Action Live Now"

You mean my video? If so, then thank you :)

Is "Action Live Now" a show like "Robot Chicken" or something?

JasperIan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Nov 2012, 7:29 pm

Sorry I mean "Action League Now". It was part of a show on Nickelodeon called KaBlam.

BlueElephantKing
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Nov 2012, 7:52 pm

JasperIan wrote:
Sorry I mean "Action League Now". It was part of a show on Nickelodeon called KaBlam.

Oh yeah! I remember that show!

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2012, 1:25 pm

To answer your questions, it's considered wierd by some people because they mainly think of kids playing with the action figures when they see someone buying them. Most people don't think about using them to do something other than play with them.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

BlueElephantKing
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Nov 2012, 4:13 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
To answer your questions, it's considered wierd by some people because they mainly think of kids playing with the action figures when they see someone buying them. Most people don't think about using them to do something other than play with them.

I can't stand that! It's such a shallow view of a fun hobby.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2012, 2:07 pm

In our society, people are expected to outgrow certain things. Playing with toys is one of those things. You are doing something creative with them, not playing with them per se. That expectation applies to everyone, and if someone after a certain age keeps playing with toys etc, people consider them to be developmentally delayed. There is a fine line there thats pretty arbitrary. My MIL never had dolls growing up during the depression. She bought babydolls when she retired and dressed them in pretty clothes and put them on the made beds in her house as decoration. She would brush and style their hair and change their clothes to match the season, and it was very similar to playing with dolls, except she didn't talk to them or carry them around like real babies.

I like to color, as does everyone in my house. For some reason coloring is one of the few childish activities that it's ok for adults to do. I'm glad, because I love me some fuzzy posters to color.

I think it's simply expected that a person stop pretend interacting by using dolls and action figures, etc when they get to be a certain age and become more interested in actual interacting with others.

One thing I'm glad is seen as somewhat ok is playing on playgrounds as an adult. It's fun to occasionally go to the park and swing and ride on the merry go round and see saw and slide down the slide etc. It's ok as long as it's occasional. Done too often, it's seen as creepy.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com