Page 3 of 5 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2012, 10:25 am

Danimal wrote:
Seriously? What a silly topic.

Not necessarily. This topic is really about what constitutes empirical evidence. We can't always see what we know exists. Sight is not the only mode of perception.

ruveyn

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2012, 11:07 am

One can "see" the composition of air through an electron microscope. That is akin to claiming that believing atoms, subatomic particles, radiation or certain parasites exist is having blind faith. I have yet to see God with a microscope, particle detector or telescope.

Prud
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Nov 2012, 2:49 pm

Its not whether you can see air, it's whether you can prove it exists. By using the scientific method the existence of air is empirically proven, apply the scientific method to the existence of a deity and you are left with no data to analyse.

Evinceo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Nov 2012, 3:26 pm

If you can't see air, what in the HECK am I looking at? It's all blue and above me! Ahh!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2012, 3:45 pm

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2012, 5:44 pm

Jitro wrote:
If so, why do you have faith in something that you can't see?

I am breathing it.

Faith is irrelevant.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2012, 6:28 pm

Mmm...air! I love it! Just can't get enough of it! And it builds strong bones and teeth, too!

ScrewyWabbit
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2012, 7:49 pm

Jitro wrote:

I guess then if someone turned out all the lights we'd have quite a conundrum and a severe test of faith, not being able to see much of anything...

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2012, 8:09 pm

Jitro wrote:

Are all blind people Atheists?

No.

They have other senses to tell them what the world is like.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

WorldsEdge
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Nov 2012, 9:21 pm

MarketAndChurch wrote:
Who says we can't question God?

How about John 20:24-30?

Quote:

http://nccbuscc.org/nab/bible/john/john20.htm

Thomas, called Didymus, one of the Twelve, was not with them when Jesus came.
So the other disciples said to him, "We have seen the Lord." But he said to them, "Unless I see the mark of the nails in his hands and put my finger into the nailmarks and put my hand into his side, I will not believe."
Now a week later his disciples were again inside and Thomas was with them. Jesus came, although the doors were locked, and stood in their midst and said, "Peace be with you."
Then he said to Thomas, "Put your finger here and see my hands, and bring your hand and put it into my side, and do not be unbelieving, but believe."
17 Thomas answered and said to him, "My Lord and my God!"
18 Jesus said to him, "Have you come to believe because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and have believed."
Now Jesus did many other signs in the presence of (his) disciples that are not written in this book.

In essence, those who have not seen and believe anyway are somehow more blessed than those who have seen and gotten some sort of empirical evidence. A curious inversion of the scientific method, if nothing else. (BTW, and apropos of nothing, does anyone know of any other passage in the New Testament where Thomas is specifically identified as a speaker? I can't think of any, myself.)

Quote:
The people who gave you the ethical monotheistic God had the name Israel: "To Struggle With God" --

Not that I know beans about Hebrew, but where do find that translation? My reading of Genesis 32:28 makes it sound more like something akin to "Struggles with Angels," since it is was the name given to Jacob after he wrestled with an angel

http://nccbuscc.org/nab/bible/genesis/genesis32.htm

And how "ethical" is any being that turns a mass-murdering race purity nut like Joshua loose on the "sub-human" Canaanites? I'll quote the relevant passages, if you like. (Curiously, I've read at least one claim by an archeologist that their was no invasion of Cana by the 12 Tribes, that it was more like a peaceful commingling. Possibly the entire book is nothing but propaganda, a re-written history done after the Babylonian exile to keep the returnees away from the [again] racially impure Samaritans. In any event, what we got on paper is not a peaceful commingling but an extermination of the Untermensch by the Übermensch. This is "ethical?")

Oh, and AFAIK the first person who actually "gave" the world a monotheistic religion that can be substantiated to some degree was the Egyptian [url="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akhenaten"]Pharaoh Akhenaten[/url]. That he failed spectacularly to stamp out the traditional polytheism, and that his successors went to great lengths to wipe every trace of his existence out, there's still a lot more historical evidence for him than for, say, Abraham or Moses.

Quote:
Abraham questioned God, Job questioned God, Moses questioned God, Jacob questioned God... I have no idea what you're talking about unless you are talking about an eastern religion or something other then the abrahamic faiths.

I think you're more than a bit confused here. They never questioned the existence of their God, indeed, at least Abraham seemed to be talking to him every third day or so, didn't he? They questioned some of their God's actions, yes, but not Its existence. (And my use of the possessive is deliberate. In their view, their God was their God and nobody else's, though those odd bits about Melchizedek are a bit of a head-scratcher.)

"The man who has fed the chicken every day throughout its life at last wrings its neck instead, showing that more refined views as to the uniformity of nature would have been useful to the chicken." ? Bertrand Russell

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2012, 8:21 am

Ok, anyone who used "I know air exists because I'm not dead" or something along those lines is an idiot. That means you are basing the existence of air upon the faith that it's required to breathe even though you don't have proof of that, and thus you are being a hypocrite. The proper response is "because I can feel it" or something like that. You need to prove that air exists before you can prove that's it's needed for life, or you need to prove that life cannot exist without air, which one I don't think is necessarily true if we look beyond life as we know it, and it would be a lot harder to prove than just proving air exists.

While the OP chose a very bad example, he does have a point. Even atheists are dependent on faith. Why do we believe that the speed of light is the maximum speed and it is what it is? How many of us have actually bothered to collect the needed data and made the proper calculations to arrive at such a conclusion? Most atheists just have faith that those scientists are telling the truth. The same goes for theists.

Now let's go to the infamous "Brain Joke". An atheist teaches that God doesn't exist by saying that he cannot be seen, heard, touched, tasted, smelled, or felt. A student then stands up and confronts the teacher, asking him if he can see, hear, touch, taste, or smell his brain. The teacher responds in the negative to each one, and thus the student announces to the rest of his class that his teacher lacks a brain. Now, assuming the brain does in fact exist, it is true that he can be touched, heard, seen, tasted, and smelled at a later point in time, but at the present time it is true it cannot be tasted, felt, seen, head, or tasted. However, while the brain cannot be directly observed there is still evidence of it's existence as it's effects can be observed. For theists it's the same with God, in their minds they see evidence for the existence of God. Some even claim that they can directly observe God. Thus the whole "God doesn't exist because he cannot be observed" argument falls appart and it's revealed that the real difference between theists and atheists is what they believe to be evidence for the existence of God and whether or not they can observe that.

While they state otherwise, Militant Atheists are really no different than the religions they try to destroy. They only difference is they claim to be based around logic instead of faith, but if you actually look at it logically you would see this isn't really true. Einstein said that the belief is the God of Abraham is childish, but he also despised atheists because they are are arrogant, and it's not hard to see what he's getting at here.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2012, 9:20 am

Ganondox wrote:
Ok, anyone who used "I know air exists because I'm not dead" or something along those lines is an idiot. That means you are basing the existence of air upon the faith that it's required to breathe even though you don't have proof of that, and thus you are being a hypocrite. The proper response is "because I can feel it" or something like that. You need to prove that air exists before you can prove that's it's needed for life, or you need to prove that life cannot exist without air, which one I don't think is necessarily true if we look beyond life as we know it, and it would be a lot harder to prove than just proving air exists.

While the OP chose a very bad example, he does have a point. Even atheists are dependent on faith. Why do we believe that the speed of light is the maximum speed and it is what it is? How many of us have actually bothered to collect the needed data and made the proper calculations to arrive at such a conclusion? Most atheists just have faith that those scientists are telling the truth. The same goes for theists.

Now let's go to the infamous "Brain Joke". An atheist teaches that God doesn't exist by saying that he cannot be seen, heard, touched, tasted, smelled, or felt. A student then stands up and confronts the teacher, asking him if he can see, hear, touch, taste, or smell his brain. The teacher responds in the negative to each one, and thus the student announces to the rest of his class that his teacher lacks a brain. Now, assuming the brain does in fact exist, it is true that he can be touched, heard, seen, tasted, and smelled at a later point in time, but at the present time it is true it cannot be tasted, felt, seen, head, or tasted. However, while the brain cannot be directly observed there is still evidence of it's existence as it's effects can be observed. For theists it's the same with God, in their minds they see evidence for the existence of God. Some even claim that they can directly observe God. Thus the whole "God doesn't exist because he cannot be observed" argument falls appart and it's revealed that the real difference between theists and atheists is what they believe to be evidence for the existence of God and whether or not they can observe that.

While they state otherwise, Militant Atheists are really no different than the religions they try to destroy. They only difference is they claim to be based around logic instead of faith, but if you actually look at it logically you would see this isn't really true. Einstein said that the belief is the God of Abraham is childish, but he also despised atheists because they are are arrogant, and it's not hard to see what he's getting at here.

Whoa..
Stop at your first sentence!

Everytime I have ever held by breath for more than a few dozen seconds- I have to gasp for breath to stop the agony.

Thats powerful empiracle evidence that not only does air exist- but atleast THIS organism ( I, myself) needs air to live.

But you're claiming that my belief in air ( both its existence and its necessisity for life) has no basis in empiracle observation , and is faith based.

How so?
It sure feels like Im dying when I hold my breath. How is that observation "faith based?".

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2012, 10:05 am

Quote:

Nope, there is a huge difference. : Everyone who wants to collect scientific data can do that on his own without problem, because you are not forced to be dependent on faith. You can choose and there are many who have chosen to collect the data by themself. Or had graduade school where you are shown to proof such basic question in physic and chemie. (Sorry, but air pressure was even known in the antique and scientific used for buildings. You know, empty intestines, filled with water and whew, thanks to air pressure, you were able to level heights around corners, for exact building. The proof that this was right is still standing in Greek/Athen, called Akropolis, visible for every tourist.) So you can choose between believing of proofing it to yourself.

If the same goes for atheists, as you say, i would be thankful if you could show me a known test scenario which i can use to proof me the existence of a god. (So i´m not fanatic, every god will be just fine for me. If i am allowed to choose, i´d prefer a sexy love god with sixpack, if thats ok to you.)

Mikkel

16 Nov 2012, 10:13 am

To the OP - I don't even know that I exist as I and I don't believe I exist. I just act as if I do. :)

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2012, 11:26 am

Mikkel wrote:
To the OP - I don't even know that I exist as I and I don't believe I exist. I just act as if I do. :)

The fact that you invoked the "I" in your statement indicates that you express yourself as though you exist.

ruveyn

Mikkel

16 Nov 2012, 1:51 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Mikkel wrote:

The fact that you invoked the "I" in your statement indicates that you express yourself as though you exist.

ruveyn

Yes, that would be the case if I am me, but that is unknown.