MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2012, 12:53 am

LKL wrote:
Master_Pedant wrote:
LKL wrote:
MarketAndChurch wrote:
Blacks are made to feel the world is against by white liberals.

Blacks are not some kind of idiotic golem underclass that can only learn things by being told by white people. They figure racism out perfectly well by themselves.

On that note of MarketAndChurch's enlightened view of the African-American community, how the hell does he get away with his profile picture?

I think it refers to a type of elf from a sci-fi series. I've seen pictures like it on book covers.

Its the beautiful Aline Weber

[img][800:799]http://i.models.com/mdx/i/2012/10/aline_for_a_day-6.jpg[/img]

Photo: Marton Perlaki at Quadriga | Fashion Editor: Ali Toth & Aniko Virag | Make up: Robert Greene (See Management) | Hair: Tamás Tüzes at L’Atelier NYC

You can enjoy more of the spreads that she's been featured in here.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2012, 1:53 am

MarketAndChurch wrote:
LKL wrote:
MarketAndChurch wrote:
[Rights according to who? Since when was that established? Who is the right-giver? Who is the right-protector? I understand it sounds sexist, but nature is sexist, these attempts to right the wrongs of the natural world is unethical when you strip one human of their rights to satisfy the desires of another.

Rights according to the US constitution and US law, given to us by our fellow citizens. No human has the right to use another person's body against their will; even convicted murderes on death row cannot be forced to donate so much as a drop of blood against their will.

Quote:
Does the unborn have any rights, at all? And don't hide behind a definition.

Imnsho, No, it does not. I don't think that it's a person, a citizen, until it's born. It only has the rights that the woman whose body it is using decides to give it.

Quote:
1.) How about we end partial birth abortions and make an exception for rape?

No such thing as a 'partial birth abortion.' There is 'Intact d&c,' which is the often the safest way for a woman with a medically-necessary late-term abortion to terminate. Also, there's the whole "legitimate rape" faction of the right wing that claims that a pregnancy is proof tha the woman wasn't actually raped. So, no.

Quote:
2.) Conservatives are not intolerant and bigoted for opposing Gay marriage or abortion.

Yes, they are, particularly wrt. gay marriage. As Roy Zimmerman puts it, the mantra of the religious right is, "Let's get the government out of our lives, and into our pants."

Quote:
3.) Businessman and scientists who take conservative positions, be it on global warming, gay marriage, or taxes are not doing it out of greed or bad intentions.

Statistically, yes, they are.

Quote:
4.) Blacks are made to feel the world is against by white liberals.

Blacks are not some kind of idiotic golem underclass that can only learn things by being told by white people. They figure racism out perfectly well by themselves.

Quote:
5.) Godist's are not always the friends of Liberty, either. And, to tell a secular that their secular ways are wrong is not emotional manipulation. Why would they be hurt by "X,Y, or Z will land you in hell" when, to a secular, hell is the figment of the imagination of the deluded? "God has a plan for you" is meaningless, there is no emotions towards a God, and therefore none in that arena to manipulate.

This would be absolutely true if there weren't goddists in the US Senate, the US House of Representatives, and various state-houses across the country trying to impose their morality on the rest of us: from sectarian Christian prayers before law-making sessions, to football players forced to run through Christian banners before football games, to prayers announced over the loudspeakers at school events, to attempts to get Christian mythology taught in science classes, to attempts to legislate Christian morality at the doctor's office and in the bedroom.

Legality, & Morality
You didn't answer who gave us that right: "no human has a right to use the body of another human without their permission. "

yes, I did: bolded in my response, which you quoted above.

Quote:
And if they make the exception to the law tomorrow as many states are with regard to abortion, does that invalidate it for you?

If my fellow citizens took away my right to bodily autonomy, then no: I would no longer have a right to bodily autonomy. Hopefully I would still have the right to move to another state or country where the citizens still preserved that right.

Quote:
Does your moral opinion hinge on the legality of something or not?
No. I think that the death penalty is immoral, and advocate against it. You have every right to think that abortion is immoral, and to advocate against it; I will continue to advocate against taking pregnant women's bodily autonomy away. Thankfully for me, I'm in the majority as far as what rights my fellow citizens think are moral in this case.

Quote:
If you don't think a human baby has any right until it is birthed, then there is absolutely nothing to debate. There is only something to debate if a human has rights at any stage of its life.

I don't think that there's such a thing as an 'unborn baby,' so I guess that the argument is over as far as you are concerned. Until the baby is born, it is functionally (if not genetically) a part of the woman carrying it.

Quote:
I'm asking you morally, who gave us that right.

again, for the ....third? fourth? time, our fellow citizens determine our rights. I would have fewer rights in Saudi Arabia than I do in the US, because the citizens and rulers there do not grant women as many rights. I'm sure that they think it is a moral issue that women not drive.

Quote:
And if enough of us feel that the unborn has rights, you should accept that on the grounds that the people has voiced their opinion, and the technicality of legality is what matters to you
I would accept it to the same extent that I accept the death penalty: I would think that it is immoral, and that the right should be given to women to control their own bodies (and to vote, and to drive cars, etc). If I got pregnant, I'd probably move to some country with the bodily autonomy of women intact for the duration so that I wouldn't end up like that poor woman in Ireland if something went wrong.

Quote:
The only freedoms the Left defends is in the sexual arena. If they are not telling you what you cannot smoke or drink, or how high you can set your thermostat or, or how much water you can consume, or what milk you can buy, or what kind of car you can drive, or the forms of insurance you have to buy, they are controlling some aspect of your life. Other then Gay Marriage and Abortion, what does the Right stop you from doing?

The right has all kinds of ideas about what is moral and immoral; very few of those ideas on either side are enshrined in law. Just as the most obvious example, they'd like to get rid of any language other than English (I've seen more than one right-winger practically froth at the mouth merely from being in the presence of people speaking other languages, especially Spanish, and if I (as a hospital staff member) am taking the time to translate for someone, that is apparently especially egregious). They'd also like to prevent the exercise, especially in the pulic sphere, of any religion other than Evangelical Christianity. The requirement to buy various forms of insurance, btw, started out as a right-wing idea in order to prevent 'freeloaders.'

Quote:
Businessman and scientists believe in the conservative beliefs that they believe in, they are not propelled by bad intentions.

Bad intentions? Not exactly. Blinded by money? Quite often, yes. Very few scientists are conservative, and even fewer are blindly conservative.

Quote:
Blacks are babied by academia and society. The proof are blacks who come here from Africa in the last two decades. White people may be as*holes to them because they are foreigners, but they aren't paralyzed by:"You're *ucked, you might as well give up because the world is against you" at their back. No, they move into the middle class after a generation or two.

Blacks who come here from foreign countries generally didn't grow up in inner-city ghetoes and attend inner-city dumping-ground schools. Read some Kozol if you don't know what I'm talking about.

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with Goddists in the Senate or in their state legislator. You have a right to decide the kind of society you live in, and the option to move to any one of the 50 states or the many metropolitans that fits your beliefs and lifestyle.

They are a problem to the precise extent that they ignore the constitution and try to impose their religious beliefs on other people.

Quote:
But you are not dealing with the issue of Emotional Manipulation regarding Goddists. What form of emotional manipulation do they engage in? Even amongst their constituents, the positions they take are the moral expressions of those they represent -- no one is being emotionally manipulated.

*snort*
Listen to Glenn Beck recently? Watch Faux News?
Fear, disgust, anger, and paranoia are emotions.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2012, 1:04 pm

MarketAndChurch wrote:
Rights The Left Defends:
The only freedoms the Left defends is in the sexual arena.

a) You say it like it was a bad thing.
b) Is right to decide whether you get pregnant or get a surgery a sexual arena right?
c) "The left" seems to have defended other rights in the pas.
d) IF the left only defended sexual rights, that would not be an argument against them, but just against the left.

Quote:
Other then Gay Marriage and Abortion, what does the Right stop you from doing?
Who cares? It is still unethical that the right is against women rights and against gay rights.

Quote:
Business & Scientists
Businessman and scientists believe in the conservative beliefs that they believe in, they are not propelled by bad intentions.

Most are. The rest are legitimately stupid.

Quote:
Blacks
Blacks are babied by academia and society.
huh.
Quote:
Goddists In Government
There is nothing wrong with Goddists in the Senate or in their state legislator.
Except that we are supposed to have freedom of religion and that stuff.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

16 Nov 2012, 3:37 pm

I'm sorry- "the left" is not a united entity, and nor is "the right". In fact those terms are equivocal- one can easily be a communist who is against abortion and thinks global warming is a myth, or a free market Libertarian who thinks we should allow gay marriage, or a Bible-bashing authoritarian who thinks we should look after the environment and support the weakest members of society. Of course, stupid people tend to have stupid views about most topics, which gives the illusion of "the right" being united.

This paranoia about "the right" or "the left" really needs to stop. It is barely grounded in reality.

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2012, 4:55 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
I'm sorry- "the left" is not a united entity, and nor is "the right". In fact those terms are equivocal- one can easily be a communist who is against abortion and thinks global warming is a myth, or a free market Libertarian who thinks we should allow gay marriage, or a Bible-bashing authoritarian who thinks we should look after the environment and support the weakest members of society. Of course, stupid people tend to have stupid views about most topics, which gives the illusion of "the right" being united.

This paranoia about "the right" or "the left" really needs to stop. It is barely grounded in reality.

The Right isn't a united entity, ideologically speaking. But the Left is.

Our values is what determines where we end up on the ideological political spectrum. You have examples of people who betray that from time to time, but they are almost nonexistent in comparison to the examples we have that do conform to most of the value system. Even those who betray the value system of their side still carry 3/4's of the remaining values.

The Left views every issue through the prism of Race, Gender, and Class, and their solutions are based on several of the following values: Secularism, Tolerance, Multiculturalism, Equality, Compassion, Collectivism, and Environmentalism.

The Right everywhere in the world are those who the Left hates. So definitionally, the right is not united, and often are at war with each other because they're the forces at be that the left has to overcome to institute the above values. There are enemies on the Right. There are non on the Left if they are fighting the Right, or, the Right is coming after them. Islam and Muslim countries being the great example.

The Right as a movement is unique to some places. The Right in the United States has no relation to most of the Rightwing in many parts of the world, and even in America they are not an ideologically united camp made up of religious, libertarian, neo-liberals, and protectionists, etc.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2012, 2:56 am

*snort*

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2012, 11:54 am

MarketAndChurch wrote:
[

The Right isn't a united entity, ideologically speaking. But the Left is.

The liberal left is a herd. They are controlled by their academic and political shepherds.

We are poor little liberals who have lost our way --- baah, baah, baah.

ruveyn

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2012, 12:01 pm

Democrats (or "liberals") are not left-wing. They're essentially center-right with midly liberalistic views, whereas their main rivals are slightly more right-wing, typically with neoconservative views.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2012, 12:06 pm

Kurgan wrote:
Democrats (or "liberals") are not left-wing. They're essentially center-right with midly liberalistic views, whereas their main rivals are slightly more right-wing, typically with neoconservative views.

You are using a European measuring rod. I am using a U.S. measuring rod.

I agree that the U.S. as a whole if further right than most of Europe.

ruveyn

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2012, 2:58 am

yet another reason to avoid a Catholic country when pregnant: http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... l-me-that/

cave_canem
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Nov 2012, 11:09 am

LKL wrote:
yet another reason to avoid a Catholic country when pregnant: http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... l-me-that/

*shudder*

that's quite simply... horrible

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2012, 1:28 pm

LKL wrote:

Sorry, I feel a rant welling up...

They don't do this stuff because they hate women; they do it because they love suffering and think it's ennobling. Jesus died a gory, horrible death, so if you can suffer a lot, it brings you closer to him. Women are just seen as being especially good at suffering, hence the whole phenomenon of teary Madonnas. I hated the whole Irish Catholic attitude towards life and suffering when I had to grow up with it. Part of my attraction to Buddhism was that the religion is much concerned with the cessation of suffering.

I'm aware that Catholics do a lot of charity work, but I know from experience that it's often not about alleviating suffering so much as fulfilling a duty to God. Not all Catholics are the same in this, but I've head it said that charity isn't really charity unless it involves personal sacrifice and going against your own will. I don't see why it should, except if suffering is like energy; something that can't be destroyed and only transferred. This would make sense because if you think of why God needs a blood sacrifice to cleanse humanity's sins. He can't just forgive people, he has to crucify someone first. You can't just help someone, you have to mortify yourself first. :roll:

So I think that maybe at the root of Catholicism's aversion to suffering-alleviating measures like birth control and C Sections is not just their belief about souls, but also their belief about suffering; namely that you can't really alleviate it at all in this life and you're tempting God's wrath by even trying to.

Last edited by puddingmouse on 20 Nov 2012, 1:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2012, 1:44 pm

My family is culturally Irish Catholic, though tempered by a couple of generation in the US. So, yeah.
But it's not jut the suffering; it's the idea that women's role is to have as many children as possible, regardless of what that takes.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2012, 1:45 pm

The rights of children are above the rights of adults.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2012, 1:46 pm

LKL wrote:
My family is culturally Irish Catholic, though tempered by a couple of generation in the US. So, yeah.
But it's not jut the suffering; it's the idea that women's role is to have as many children as possible, regardless of what that takes.

At the root of it is that s**t is God's will and that you're not allowed to have a good time on earth. One way to have a bit s**t life and keep God sweet is to have a huge family.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2012, 1:49 pm

LKL wrote:

It's really Islam and Ultra-Orthodox Jewish people who think women's 'role' is to have tonnes of kids. Catholicism has monasticism and nuns, so the expectation isn't universal. Catholicism and some other forms of Christianity that don't like contraception see kids as less of a duty and more of a punishment for having sex in the first place.