Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2012, 10:00 pm

I"m re reading the series and am on book 1. Does anyone have the hardcover US version? I know that the UK version has a different title. I'm on Chapter 10, Halloween, and the question I have is on page 173. What does it mean by search me??

Before search me here is the sentences.

"What's he doing?" Harry whispered. "Why isn't he down in the dungeons with the rest of the teachers?"

"Search me."

I may have an updated version of the book because in checking the inside I found the next 6 books in the series.

Thanks

If you're not happy with yourself, you'll never be happy with somebody else. (Don Omar)

noxnocturne
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2012, 10:02 pm

"Search me" basically means "I don't know."

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2012, 10:10 pm

Oh ok thanks :) Is that a slang term? I never heard of search me before unless someone tells someone else "search him" like check for weapons, etc.

If you're not happy with yourself, you'll never be happy with somebody else. (Don Omar)

noxnocturne
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2012, 10:15 pm

Yeah. It's just a more casual way of telling someone you don't know something. :D

Aldran
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Nov 2012, 3:55 am

I believe, directly, its short for something like "You can search me for an answer, but if I had one Id have told you already" or something to that effect.

I believe it came from England initially, and IIRC the term was used moderately frequently in the Sherlock Holmes books, but /shrug, this sentence is generated from my memory, and is subject to being entirely wrong, feel free to do your own research.

Aldran

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2012, 7:44 am

What are wizard crackers? How did Harry get a new chess set? Who gave it to him?

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

15 Nov 2012, 10:55 am

luvsterriers wrote:
What are wizard crackers? How did Harry get a new chess set? Who gave it to him?

Ron is mentioned to be a wizard's chess player. He likely got it from him.

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2012, 11:01 am

He got some wizard crackers during the Christmas feast, where he got a few things including a chess set.

forkful_of_soup
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Nov 2012, 11:22 am

luvsterriers wrote:

Wizard crackers are a magical verson of Christmas crackers. Christmas crackers are a British thing. Here's the definition from the Tom's Christmas Crackers website:
Quote:
What are Christmas Crackers?

In 1847, almost by accident, Tom Smith invented the cracker. it was a simple idea which became an integral part of British celebration and tradition which still continues today, 150 years on. In its simplest form, a cracker is a small cardboard tube covered in a brightly colored twist of paper. When the cracker is pulled by two people, each holding one end of the twisted paper covered tube, the friction creates a small explosive 'pop'. This 'pop' is produced by a narrow strip of chemically impregnated paper. The cracker tears apart and out of the cardboard tube tumbles a bright paper hat, a small gift, a balloon and a motto or joke. It is a running joke that all the jokes and mottos in crackers are unfunny and unmemorable. Similarly, in most standard commercial products, the "gift" is equally awful, although wealthier individuals—notably, the royal family—may use custom crackers with more expensive rewards.

In addition to Christmas Crackers, "Crackers" are used as decorative party favors to celebrate a variety of other special occasions and festive events. The pulling of crackers and donning of the party hats creates a relaxed, festive atmosphere certain to get any party function off the ground. Crackers provide a colorful and exciting start to any celebration, and also present each guest with a gift by which to remember the days events. At Christmas, crackers make great tree ornaments, stocking stuffers, and welcoming gifts for visiting friends and relatives. They can also be used as invitations, promotional gifts, an advertising medium, shower and wedding favors, and individualized gifts for special occasions such as Valentine's Day and Mother's Day.

This is the remarkable story of the Cracker - an unique insight into one of Britain's most enduring traditions which continues to bring pleasure to all ages and generations, from children to grandparents.

The wizard version dispenses a gift instead of the silly hat and joke. Harry's wizard chess set came from the crackers.

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2012, 11:31 am

Ah so maybe the professors put the gifts together? Or we don't know? I have to watch the first movie again. Maybe it will make a clearer picture. I have to picture the wizard cracker in my mind.

forkful_of_soup
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Nov 2012, 2:03 pm

luvsterriers wrote:
Ah so maybe the professors put the gifts together? Or we don't know? I have to watch the first movie again. Maybe it will make a clearer picture. I have to picture the wizard cracker in my mind.

I think the gifts in the crackers are random.

noxnocturne
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2012, 2:47 pm

Interesting...I'm learning more and more about Harry Potter every day. :thumleft:

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2012, 3:10 pm

In other wards wizard magic?

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2012, 5:35 pm

The Nicholas Flamel chapter. How come Ron says that the stone will be gone by next Tues? How does he know?
Page 227 in hardcover edition US.

Also in Defense Against the Dark Arts class, how come Harry doesn't complain of his scar hurting? It seems that it hurt during the sorting hat ceremony.

Aldran
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Nov 2012, 8:59 am

I just wanted to ask Luvsterriers, have you ever heard of the term "Figure of speech"? IE, saying something metaphorically, or with sarcasm or irony or rhetorically? The Harry Potter books (And a great deal of fiction out there, particularly British fiction), has a lot of "Slang", or "Sayings" that aren't specifically true, but are meant to demonstrate something like annoyance, frustration, anger, or many different other forms of unhappiness.

Without actually referencing the quote, for instance:
The character of Ronald Weasly was designed to be a little short tempered, and easily frustrated. So he tends to often say things that aren't specifically true, but are representative of the circumstances hes referring to while at the same time demonstrating his unhappiness with the situation. So the question you asked about his saying "The stone will be gone next Tuesday!", IIRC, again without actually going and reading the whole page again (Ive read those books probably 10 or so times start to finish, more for the earlier ones), he doesn't know that that stone will be gone by next tuesday, but rather hes saying that to express his exasperation for what he feels is inadequate protections for the stone. Or to translate it more directly "If thats all thats protecting the stone, the I wouldn't be surprised if the stone was gone by next Tuesday!" This is pretty common NT behavior in my experience, both in real life and in fiction, to say something inaccurate as a result of how they feel rather then any actual knowledge, and Ronald Weasly personifies this....

I will also add that, in a book that deals with something as amorphus as Magic (Meaning, though there might be some sort of rule system, as there is in the Harry Potter books, governing how a person can "physically" use it, its still "magic" at its core and can always have room for expansion according to the author's will), you should be ready and expect to find things, both writing style wise and woven into the plot, that aren't meant to be taken literally or taken for granted. IE, there are MANY examples of what Im talking about all through out the Harry Potter books in particular.

Happy Reading,
Aldran

noxnocturne
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2012, 1:51 pm

luvsterriers wrote:
The Nicholas Flamel chapter. How come Ron says that the stone will be gone by next Tues? How does he know?
Page 227 in hardcover edition US.

Also in Defense Against the Dark Arts class, how come Harry doesn't complain of his scar hurting? It seems that it hurt during the sorting hat ceremony.

I hadn't even thought of these questions. You make great points here.