Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Brock
Raven
Raven

16 Nov 2012, 11:12 am

What are the benefits of getting a diagnosis?

Are there any?

What are the potential problems of getting a diagnosis?

Are there any?

Thanks,

Scaurie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Nov 2012, 11:28 am

When I was diagnosed, it gave me something that I could refer others to. Instead of just "I have issues with so and so and so and so" it became "I have Asperger's", which allows people to better read up on how to help/deal with/tolerate me.

Now that my doctor knows I have Asperger's, he has a better knowledge base. When I needed a medication change, he looked into what has better effects on those with Autistic symptoms and when I started taking that medication, I improved.

I've gained a sense of "belonging", and I found people who were like me here on Wrongplanet. I met my first boyfriend here, as well.

This is just my own personal experience, but I haven't found a bad side to being diagnosed yet.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2012, 12:36 pm

Validation, relief, and the sense that now everything that hasn't made sense until now, does.

Benefits, if you need and/or can get any.

Are there any?

Think I just answered that.

Cash/Insurance coverage.

Finding a doctor properly qualified that won't just "poo-poo" you because of one or two stereotypical traits he/she doesn't see in you.

Are there any?

Hmmm. Think I just answered this one too. :wink:

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2012, 1:40 pm

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2012, 1:43 pm

Benefits

(That's a link)

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2012, 1:52 pm

Brock wrote:

Are there any?

Not many. The two main I can see are a)validation and b)accommodations only if you work for a very progressive organization (like I do). In terms of government or non-profit in Canada at least after 22 forget it as it doesn't exist.

Quote:

Are there any?

Yes, especially with insurance. They screwed over my mother in a very similar way by making an outlandish leap of logic to jack her rates. They could easily to the same to me and I was even warned that by my psychiatrist during my last visit. As well, if you look and act 'normal' like me people will assume that you are lying and are just making excuses for being lazy. As well, it's not exactly cheap and I already know beyond any reasonable doubt I have Aspergers.

It's your decision, but I have ultimately decided the potential risks are not worth it, especially when I have already reached the point where I already know for sure thanks to knowing some people experienced with Autism who told me I'm an a classic Asperger male without even getting to really know me.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2012, 3:31 pm

For me it was a relief to find out I had a reason I was 'abnormal' (well that's how I and all the school bullies put it...) plus it has opened up more services to me.

The bad side to it is that I am now being told that I cannot access regular mental health services because I am autistic and I can't access learning difficulty services because I am above 70 in IQ. I have mental health problems as a co-morbid and they are refusing to treat these due to my autism diagnosis. I can't win :(