Food and generic food type discussion(s).

Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Chaos_Epoch
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Nov 2012, 5:09 pm

In this thread we talk about food, favorite recipes, convenient speed cooking recipes (the faster, the better. not to be confused with Leigh Hart's speed cooking, though that is most welcome as well.) tips and tricks/tricks of the trade, funny and or embarrassing catering stories, favorite spices and what they work with, best equipment.

...Or anything cooking, really.

We will also speak in cups, mls/litres, spoons, kilograms, grams and degrees Celsius; because lets face it, the American way of measuring stuff is so silly that it makes me want to rip off my face.

Ok now, starting with the basics first and with something I think most everyone is familiar with; ramen noodles! there are a lot of noodle brands around with different tastes and flavors, my personal favorite is Mi Goreng noodles, specifically the red spicy flavor, I don't know what it's actually called since the flavor is probably written is Asian or something.

Anyway, I've found the best way to cook ramen noodles is to break them up in their packet before placing the noodles in a bowl or jug, then filling it with water until the water line is just above the noodles. then cooking it in a microwave for two minutes. when that's done, take the noodles out and stir in the seasonings you have, then placing them back in the microwave for another minute.

For two packets, you'll cook them for three minutes, then one.

When you're adding your seasoning sachets, remember that you can also add other stuff into the mix. but the rule to always remember is "accompanying flavors."
for instance, you wouldn't want to go ahead and put cooked chicken bits into some beef flavored noodles, now would you?

Another point to remember is the type of dish you are serving, since my Mi Goreng noodles are predominantly Indonesian, I'd consider throwing in some extra soy sauce, some chilli's, coriander, ginger. etc.

Another good tip when cooking at home, is to look at the packing. often times you'll see other foods and ingredients on the packet other then what it is, of which, many accompany the dish fantastically.

comments?

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2012, 9:41 pm

My favourite way to cook ramen is to boil water in a pot (I don't measure it, but it isn't very much as I don't want them too soupy--maybe 1/3 of a cup or soemthing). I put the noodle bundle in whole, poor the seasoning on top. Since the noodles stick out, I flip it over right away to get the seasoning mixed into the broth. Then cook until the noodles are soft. I don't have a microwave, but even if I did, I would still cook them this way.

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

2wheels4ever
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2012, 12:22 am

I prefer the tailor-made styrofoam Cup O' Ramen as it has a perfectly balanced mixture of seasoning and other ingredients, and the noodle texture is slightly superior. For the ultimate in yum, I run the faucet until the water comes out as hot as it's going to get, open the lid halfway, fill to 3/4 full, then cover and let stand for 2 minutes

The bonus part is starting a sink full of dishes while waiting for the water to get hot

Aldran
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Nov 2012, 8:21 am

lmao, I love how the OP goes on and on about the technicalities involved in serious cooking, from measuring to choice of spice to personal preference, and then immediately covers the best way they've found to cook top ramen. Love it!

Im with littlelily on top ramen. Ive done it in the nuke, Ive done it a pan, I much prefer it from a stove top, sam I am? Seriously though, something about the Nuke seems to dehydrate the noodles after a few minutes once its out. And if you're gonna nuke it for 3 or more minutes anyway (Which is the same amount of time you're meant to cook it in a pan with water anyway), I figure you might as well just deal with the wait time to boil the water in the first place. And again, like Littlelily I just put enough water in to cover the noodle pack in a small pan (I never break my noodles up anymore), and let it cook, sometimes I even let some of that water boil off intentionally to get a more concentrated flavor.

About 90% of all top ramen I eat now is either oriental or beef flavor, love those two XD I used to eat other flavors more frequently, but at one point I was eating chicken and shrimp pretty much exclusively and got burned out by those two..... The shrimp flavored Top Ramen really kinda doesn't taste like shrimp IMHO though, too salty.... Ive NEVER had shrimp with that much salt or sodium on them......

After that, I used to experiment with adding whatever was on hand to ramen Id cook, but in the end I found it hard to improve on something already so loaded down with sodium that the salt pretty much wrestled any accompanying flavor to the ground and proceeded to soundly beat its ass....

Aldran

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2012, 10:53 am

Do soup packets for noodles taste good as a dry seasoning? I much prefer my instant noodles dry rather than swimming in water.

2wheels4ever
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2012, 11:26 am

MONKEY wrote:
Do soup packets for noodles taste good as a dry seasoning? I much prefer my instant noodles dry rather than swimming in water.

It does, although I've found you don't want to use more than half the envelope otherwise it's too dang salty.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2012, 4:03 pm

2wheels4ever wrote:
MONKEY wrote:

It does, although I've found you don't want to use more than half the envelope otherwise it's too dang salty.

Ah. my dilemma is now over. Thankies! Image

Chaos_Epoch
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Nov 2012, 4:06 pm

littlelily613 wrote:
My favourite way to cook ramen is to boil water in a pot (I don't measure it, but it isn't very much as I don't want them too soupy--maybe 1/3 of a cup or soemthing). I put the noodle bundle in whole, poor the seasoning on top. Since the noodles stick out, I flip it over right away to get the seasoning mixed into the broth. Then cook until the noodles are soft. I don't have a microwave, but even if I did, I would still cook them this way.

Don't cha even break the noodle cake in half?

2wheels4ever wrote:
I prefer the tailor-made styrofoam Cup O' Ramen as it has a perfectly balanced mixture of seasoning and other ingredients, and the noodle texture is slightly superior. For the ultimate in yum, I run the faucet until the water comes out as hot as it's going to get, open the lid halfway, fill to 3/4 full, then cover and let stand for 2 minutes

The bonus part is starting a sink full of dishes while waiting for the water to get hot

Can't say that I've even found a good cup of noodles; living in NZ, I don't get some of the good stuff. what brand do you get anyway?

Aldran wrote:
lmao, I love how the OP goes on and on about the technicalities involved in serious cooking, from measuring to choice of spice to personal preference, and then immediately covers the best way they've found to cook top ramen. Love it!

Im with littlelily on top ramen. Ive done it in the nuke, Ive done it a pan, I much prefer it from a stove top, sam I am? Seriously though, something about the Nuke seems to dehydrate the noodles after a few minutes once its out. And if you're gonna nuke it for 3 or more minutes anyway (Which is the same amount of time you're meant to cook it in a pan with water anyway), I figure you might as well just deal with the wait time to boil the water in the first place. And again, like Littlelily I just put enough water in to cover the noodle pack in a small pan (I never break my noodles up anymore), and let it cook, sometimes I even let some of that water boil off intentionally to get a more concentrated flavor.

About 90% of all top ramen I eat now is either oriental or beef flavor, love those two XD I used to eat other flavors more frequently, but at one point I was eating chicken and shrimp pretty much exclusively and got burned out by those two..... The shrimp flavored Top Ramen really kinda doesn't taste like shrimp IMHO though, too salty.... Ive NEVER had shrimp with that much salt or sodium on them......

After that, I used to experiment with adding whatever was on hand to ramen Id cook, but in the end I found it hard to improve on something already so loaded down with sodium that the salt pretty much wrestled any accompanying flavor to the ground and proceeded to soundly beat its ass....

Aldran

Yeah, I was just starting with the basics that everyone know's, then moving onto other stuff depending on what the feedback is.

yes, I guess the nuke does tend to dry out the noodles, though I usually keep a lot of broth in the bowl, so i guess I've never really noticed it before.

Oriental and beef flavored is the best IMO, though we used to have some pizza flavored noodles over here that was the best. and if you want to deal with the sodium thing, just use some fresh ingredients.

MONKEY wrote:

If you prefer your noodles dry, just use less water or drain them off after you've stopped cooking them. I'd say to try my method if you're going for that; it really is the best way to have your noodles.

As for the soup mix thing, it depends on what your trying to achieve here. avoid the salt thing as much as you can and try to use flavors that would work with the noodles, which are predominantly egg based. along with the soup mix, I'd try to use some vegetable or chicken stock, depending on the soup. also add some small fresh or frozen vege, like peas and brunoise carrot (small cubed carrot.). Google, as always, is your friend here.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2012, 4:22 pm

I know how to drain noodles of course! I might just put the packet powder in bit by bit and test it so it's not a salt-fest.

Chaos_Epoch
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Nov 2012, 4:27 pm

MONKEY wrote:
I know how to drain noodles of course! I might just put the packet powder in bit by bit and test it so it's not a salt-fest.

Or you could just look at the sodium content on the back of the pack when your at the store. creating good food means knowing what you're putting into it.

Aldran
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Nov 2012, 6:33 pm

Quote:
and if you want to deal with the sodium thing, just use some fresh ingredients.

Such as? I end up getting stuck using the flavor packets for a variety of reasons, mostly time and money. And I have yet to find a single pre-made Ramen available from the store that isn't, as someone else put it, a "Sodium fest". when you read the nutritional facts on the back, the sodium content is something like 80% from the flavoring, its outrageous. Still, I eat em anyway from time to time just because its quick easy and cheap.

Chaos_Epoch
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Nov 2012, 6:41 pm

Aldran wrote:
Quote:
and if you want to deal with the sodium thing, just use some fresh ingredients.

Such as? I end up getting stuck using the flavor packets for a variety of reasons, mostly time and money. And I have yet to find a single pre-made Ramen available from the store that isn't, as someone else put it, a "Sodium fest". when you read the nutritional facts on the back, the sodium content is something like 80% from the flavoring, its outrageous. Still, I eat em anyway from time to time just because its quick easy and cheap.

hell, it doesn't have to be fresh you know, today I used half of the flavoring sachet in my noodles, chucked in some lemon grass from a jar, extra chill in the form of dried chilli flakes, some frozen peas (frozen vege is as nutritious as fresh vege, I might add.) some sliced spring onion...

pretty much anything you can find in the fridge that can accompany preexisting flavors, you can add. why should you stick yourself to "that flavor" when you can add other stuff?

2wheels4ever
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2012, 12:55 am

Chaos_Epoch wrote:

Can't say that I've even found a good cup of noodles; living in NZ, I don't get some of the good stuff. what brand do you get anyway?

In the US the 2 major brands are Maruchan and Nissin. I've seen the flat packets under other names once or twice. 1 of them I read on the label that it was made somewhere not USA so I left it. Same with the larger bowl-sized ramens I've seen in the 7-11 stores, although Nissin offers a bowl and makes everything in the US. The "meat" content might be a little better than the cup though I have not tried one yet to say for sure.

As far as eating the flat dry, I leave it as a brick, shake 1/2 the envelope onto it and tap it a few times to get the sodium down into the nooks and crannies. It is possible to divide 1 envelope between 3 bricks even, to not waste any of it if you have ramen frequently, as the remainder will clump up if left unused too long. Each sealed unused envelope is equal to 1 bouillon cube, which I discovered when I needed a substitute for an unseasoned ramen

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2012, 6:57 am

I tend to do my noodles in a rush, so more often than not my topping ends up being cheese. :lol:

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2012, 10:07 pm

Chaos_Epoch wrote:
Don't cha even break the noodle cake in half?

Nope! I guess I like the fun part of twirling the noodles on the fork. Just like spaghetti only curly! :)

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2012, 10:09 pm

It's funny how a general food thread starts and we are ONLY talking about ramen. :P

What is "top ramen"? Is that a brand or some term I just don't know?

I only use Mr. Noodles, basically because it's the only one I have found that is vegetarian. I like most of the flavours, but mushroom is my favourite. Right now also into the shrimp and curry chicken.