Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Prud
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Nov 2012, 3:07 am

MarketAndChurch wrote:
    At The Onset: You have way too many throw away lines. Because you are not debating me, but all of theism and apologetics. I take throw away lines seriously because I try to let as few untruths past me as possible. So forgive me if my posts are rather long at times. It's becoming a back and forth on semantics and phrasing. I beg you, if I misread you in any way, please point it out -- I too will point out where you have misread me as well. You can't read my mind either, so if you try to anyways, please assume the best intentions, as I will of you. And if you resort to 2-3 line brushoffs or dense-empty-calorie paragraphs and do not go into depth on anything I post, I will withdraw from this debate as I have from past debates. If I do not address a greatly constructed sentence or point of yours, please repost it in bold with no further explanations, and I will deconstruct it to the extant that I can.

Make Better Instruments
You have no evidence that God does not exist. You antithesis towards God is emotional. Your instruments have not even touched the tip of the iceberg as far as physics, chemistry and biology goes. If at any point in the history of Science, scientists were prepared, with their barely birthed knowledge, to declare we know all there is to know, think of all that we would be robbed of. What do we really know about any of the Newtonian Laws 300 years later? What do we know about the existence of all the abstract objects that riddle the universe? What do we truly know of fields, or force? Our knowledge of physics is still as elementary as it was 100 years ago.

Only the advancement of the microscope has shown us that perhaps our range of perception are not only limited, but can be increased by instruments that can allow us to measure the natural world. Imagine if the sciences, absent the microscope, were to make the foolish assumption that only what our eyes can see is all there is. We would have no outlet beyond religion or superstition to account for illness, the mind, the nervous system, bacteria, and a whole host of other things that our limited range of perception closed us off from. You can cannot close yourself off to what you do not know. Be prepared to entertain notions that are not within the realm of naturalism or is materially observable. Gravity is a material, what?

How We Approach God
The only thing that can apply to God is philosophical argumentation. That people believe the earth is 6000 years old is of no usefulness to you or I. They will believe that and continue living a normal life… nothing is contingent on their disbelief or dispelling it. Nor should it matter to you or I. Everything, including your statement that God does not exist is an article of faith because you cannot disprove the supernatural. We can only use logic and reason then to defend our positions, but logic and reason on their own have no agenda, proofs, or definitive positions in any direction, or for any principle, belief, or truth.

Make Comparable Comparisons
The tooth fairy serves only as a narrative for children and is here to provide them some solace for losing their teeth. If the tooth fairy, or the flying spaghetti monster took on an even greater role of defining the physical world and keeping its "fixed" laws running in accordance to its will, then the appropriate question is why: Why Spaghetti? Or why is the creator a fairy concerned with teeth? What can we learn about Spaghetti and what is it about starches that can help us deconstruct the cell in all its splendor?

In other words, it is not very helpful one bit to include fairies, unicorns, or any other mythic creation whose only existence serves to be a character in fairy tale. The torah holds that God created the heavens and the earth, willed nature into existence -- if you count that as mythic, so be it, but there is a gulf of difference between a God that willed existence from nothing, and a tooth fairy. At least compare God to Zeus, a Greek God for the Greeks, or Brahma the creator.

Other Gods Exist... sort of.
Judaism has always believed that other Gods exist to other people. We understand that they are Gods... to them... If those people have a form of ethical monotheism that is pretty much identical to our concept, it is in beautiful and dare I say encouraged belief that we support in full. Our sole purpose is to advance ethical monotheism on earth, and destroy most of the unethical pagans in our midst. God can and may have revealed himself to other groups on earth in the same fashion he did us. We have yet to find another example, but we don't think for one moment we have an ownership over the God we've given to the world, or, that our God is Jewish.

Misquoting The Text, No Examples
The Examples I am asking for are examples of when those Jewish Laws were carried out and someone died as a result. I'm sick of people googling passages they have never looked at with any scholarship and wave it around with some sense of authority, but haven't the slightest clue what it is they are waving around. If some moron decided to take a few lines out of context from Othello or King Lear and paint Shakespeare to be a clueless idiot who has no idea what he's talking about, it would be my response, and correctly so, to ask the hell are you to misquote something you have never studied? Where is your advanced studies in Shakespearean literature? The same is perfectly appropriate here where one likes to cite "Stoning" as a punishment. You have no knowledge of stoning in moses time. What are the principles communicated by stoning? Was it used? How frequently was it used? What examples does the rabbinic traditions cite?

Some Quick Points:
    1.) Those palestinians that were killed by religious Jews? DId you know most Jews in the world are not religious? Less then 50% say they are religious, and of those who say that, even a tinier % actually practice the faith… You know nothing of the those Jews who attacked the Palestinians, if it happened at all. You are a Jew, whatever you believe, be it atheism or buddhism, if you are born one, from ethnically Jewish parents. The Jews who serve in the army are not necessarily religious, neither are most people in Government.

2.) Goyim means Nations, Prud. The Nations that are beyond our Jewish movement are the Goyim. You have Stalin and Mao to account for. You have Kim Jong Ill to account for as well. And every other atheistic Man-God to which humans were sacrificed to.

3.) You can't do the same with Harry Potter.
      a.) What can harry potter teach you about charity?
      b.) What does harry potter teach you about the human condition?
      c.) What does Harry Potter teach you about male/female relationships?
      d.) What does Harry Potter teach you about respecting animal life?
      e.) What does Harry Potter teach you about stealing another's time, spouse, life, or material possessions?
      f.) What can Harry potter teach you about loans you give to your fellow countryman when they've fallen on hard times?

4.) What is the point of your inclusion of Shuruppak? Shuruppak, the Egyptians, the Babylonians, the Assyrians, they all contributed to many of the stories in the text. What Judaism did was it took those stories and elevated them to teach people about the human condition and the nature of God.

5.) I only know what I know from studying all religions. I've said it time and time again, I was raised Christian, flirted with atheism, now definitionally a Jew, but not quite, I am as I define myself a religious humanist, I subscribe to progressive conservative Judaism thought, though I attend a reform synagogue. I am studying Taoism, I've studied in the past Buddhism, Hinduism, and Mormonism, I am a lover of philosophy and the study of all religions. I would not know the true greatness of the text if I did not have something to contrast it with.

6.) Ethics and morality has existed since the dawn of time. Caveman see another caveman trying to steal away caveman's women, caveman kills thief. That was ethical from a caveman's view. Ethics has existed in every culture at all times. In ancient Israel, the Midianites thought it was ethical to spill the blood of children to the ground they worshipped, because it would then bring harvest that could feed the greater whole, and we can always have more kids.

7.) Don't bring evolution into this without meaningful examples. You have utterly ignored just about everything I've said on the matter. Random variation = progress, how? Ethics was a process of random variation, how? For every answer you supply on what is truly unknowable, spawns a dozen more questions, trying to understand what is at best: shaky assumptions based on faith.

8.) Judaism has no problem with Divorce or with the homosexual being born as one, either. If a secular Jewish states bombs a religious group, what is there to be read from that other then a non-religious attacking a religious group. Man is to have dominion over nature, not be submissive to it, but conquer our misunderstandings of why cells metastasize in humans and develop pharmaceutical solutions to conquer it, to not settle for hot weather and build a fan to cool ones self. That is what it means to conquer nature.

I would argue that the evidence of the existence of a god is zero, to pose the question that there is no evidence that god does not exist is semantics. We are dealing with the proposition of probability, it was understood at the time the biblical texts were written that the world was flat. With the limited understanding of the world they lived on, it would be conceivable that these tent dwelling Arabs came to this conclusion as there was no evidence they had to formulate any other proposition. Did this conclusion make it a reality? No, at no time in history has the world ever been flat, I have no evidence the world is flat, only that it is not.
As with a deity there is no evidence to back up any claim of the existence of a god, therefore I can only conclude that the lack of evidence supports there is no god.

To postulate something can exist without evidence is special pleading, to suggest that because we have a name for things, does not suggest they exist.

Make better instruments
To suggest that something does exist but cannot be measured yet is to argue that all things do exist including fairies & unicorns. You freely acknowledge these are “mythic creations”, but there is no scientific device capable of measuring their existence and of cause there never will because you can’t create a device to measure untruths.
Are you suggesting that before the microscope was invented man knew the names of all of the micro organisms but just couldn’t see them or do you agree that only after the invention did science come to understand something previously unknown and only then gave them names and acknowledged their existence as fact.
It is only the supernatural that expects to be considered to exist before it has been show to be measurable. I am open to the theoretical, based of cause on the scientific understanding that we can theorise new understanding based on what science has already discovered.

How we approach god
I would not agree that those who refute scientific fact can live normal lives, as their belief clouds their decisions and allows the teaching of untruths to the innocent.
I have no “faith” so you cannot propose that my position is faith based, rather my position is born out of the lack of evidence that supports your position. Your uses of certain words have an underlying connection to faith, when I use the word “truth” it is based on logical truth. The “truth” of religion is used to dispel logical truth over “god’s” divine truth.

Make comparable comparisons
You are asking for special treatment of what I consider to be imaginary, I hold no favour for your god over any other imaginary being. It is you that must understand I will give no more credence to the god of the torah because evidence that the universe can be created from nothing by a supernatural being, to me is no more plausible than a fairy leaving money for children’s lost teeth.
Where I will make the distinction is that on the grounds of moral & ethical superiority expected by such deities. In that, belief in the tooth fairy would not wish for a child to wage war on the sweet makers because they disrespect the tooth fairy.
Other gods exist, sort of
That is an incongruous statement; you are only proposing one god and again pinning ethics to be derived from it. You expect this special treatment that your pagan belief is somehow above that of any other. The druidic pagans are no more unethical than any other religion and therefore have as much value (or not) in their teachings as those who worship the god of the Judaism.

Misquoting text
I do not need to study your religion to oppose it, in the same way I do not need to read the entire works of Shakespeare to conclude either way whether I like his work or not. This request to study your religion is a very old attempt at conversion, the belief that if I read it all I will then understand the “truth”.

You wish for me to give factual examples of deaths caused by Jewish laws but when I quote your own religions texts you refute they actually happened, it was all in the understanding and meaning of the text. What a load of rot, my exact point is that all of these writings are falsehoods and by quoting them to you only shows how they are completely meaningless. You forget I do not hold these writings with any regard to reality and those who study it look for loopholes to excuse the uncomfortable conclusion that a fist reading conveys.

To Google something serves to increase ones learning (not always), something a Jew should be happy with. What you are actually doing is closing your mind to anything which opposes your faith and attempts to use passages from your own religious text to support the opposition.

So you ask for examples of when Jewish law has been carried out and someone dies as a result. Metzitzah b’peh using direct oral suction to remove blood from the circumcision wound has been documented to cause infection, brain damage and death. In 2012 this ritual is limited to the most fundamental Jews and I would propose that the reason for this aspect of bris milah has been deemed to be ethically wrong on the grounds that it is not in the best interest of the child. So where have the current ethics come from, not the religious text as it is clear what should be carried out to uphold the ritual but from the influence of society. Ethical standards being defined by human need to be part of the social group, continuing to carry out a barbaric ritual would only serve to be excluded, so the act of religion is changed to favour the wider social aspect. An evolved process of human nature, that when exposed to the wider group and the reverse, impacts on the ethical & moral evaluation of an act. This process has been in place within human and other animals for millennia, not given by god but written down by men who already had the basic understanding of social interaction and the reality that ethics is derived from psychology. Tell enough people that something is wrong or right and the ethical standard changes, religious text used this existing human trait to the most part to justify hatred of others.

Some quick points

1. I accept that that you can be of Jewish decent and not be religious but to call yourself a Jew when you are an atheist would be to accept that the believe that all Jews descended from Abraham, an atheist would not hold this belief. So when I say Jews I mean those who believe in Judaism practicing or not.

You made a comment on the Israeli bombing of Palestine, “If it happened at all”, have you learnt nothing from your own modern history, and that you would use a term Holocaust deniers have used to ignore real truth of what happened. Shame on you, that you would close your eyes to acts of violence because it may just hold your religion up to the real meaning of ethics and morals. This just goes to show that your religion is as sick as all others, that you would deny the suffering of others because they don’t worship in synagogues.

2. I have no-one to account for; the acts Stalin, Moe & the Kim Jongs have carried out, were in the name of Communism not Atheism. This is a very tired argument, one that only serves to distract from the debate.

3. You’ve never read Harry Potter, it teaches all those things. The example was to show that if you read any book about people you will find the mainstay of ethics & morality.

4. My point exactly, except for the inclusion of the “nature of God” to the statement, you see you accept the reality but then cloud it with god, why?

5. So you’re not a Jew? You make the comment that you have studied all religions and then mention atheism, please note that atheism is not a religion it is a lack of belief in a deity. I accept you’re statement “I only know what I know from studying all religions” and if that is the case you don’t know much, why not study Philosophy, Psychology, Entomology, Physics, etc. They would enrich you much the same as a religion, but the one difference being you would have to accept that your actions are yours alone and no divine being is directing you. Now isn’t that a scary thought, being responsible for all man has to do?

6. Exactly, ethics & morals develop over time and with influence, God does not need to be considered here.

7. Evolution (not a religion, just scientific fact), random variation generated by mutation. Let’s say in some caveman a random variation resulted in the lack of fear. Such a lack of fear would result in those cavemen putting themselves into life threatening situations and of cause they would probably die from there actions. So it would result in that trait in our genes dying off and the random variation of fearfulness becoming the standard. If you fear you don’t put yourself into life threatening situations so you will survive to pass those genes onto your offspring. So fear is not the word of god but a random variation which has become the most common trait to pass on in our genes allowing for survival.

8. Jews have no problem with a homosexual being born as one, what about one living a happy life as one, to be free to live their life without prejudice of others?
I do not accept that the current conflict in Gaza is not a result of Religion and to use the term “Secular Jew” is misleading as it has a differing meaning from the European term of secular. To be a secular Jew does not mean you have no faith, only that you do not necessarily observe religious ceremonies. Secular does not equal Atheist.
Both Shimon Peres & Benjamin Netanyahu are practicing Jews, so your comments are diversionary and not based on factual evidence. So let us say secular Jews are non religious, currently only 17% in the State of Israel leaving 83% accepting Judaism as their religion. And you call it a secular state, again you are ignoring the factual evidence to defend your position.
Again you derive interpretation to meanings to fit with a scientific viewpoint. No god is required.

No let’s get on to the real question.

Religion is not the basis for ethics and morals; I am now going to Google for a quote!

“Joshua led the tribes into the promised land, driving out the Canaanites through a series of military battles

The military conquest of the land of Canaan by the Hebrews in about 1200 B.C.E. is often characterized as "genocide" and has all but become emblematic of biblical violence and intolerance. God told Moses:

But of the cities of these peoples which the Lord your God gives you as an inheritance, you shall let nothing that breathes remain alive, but you shall utterly destroy them—the Hittite, Amorite, Canaanite, Perizzite, Hivite, and Jebusite—just as the Lord your God has commanded you, lest they teach you to do according to all their abominations which they have done for their gods, and you sin against the Lord your God.

So Joshua [Moses' successor] conquered all the land: the mountain country and the South and the lowland and the wilderness slopes, and all their kings; he left none remaining, but utterly destroyed all that breathed, as the Lord, God of Israel had commanded.”

Do you deny that the above is not written in your religious texts; how anyone can refute the evidence above that the ethics and morals of the Jews are no different to those ethics and morals used by the Nazis to murder descendants of Jews in the Second World War.

I propose that the ethics & morals of the vast majority of religious people are in no way derived from there religious texts and their so called word of god (which I was lead to beleif is unchanging) as it was supposed to be told to man and written verbatim.
So I would ask why anyone of religion would suggest that this superior being got it wrong in the telling the first time round and now suggests its all up to how you interpret it.
This only helps to re-enforce the opinion of Atheists like me that it is all just out of date fiction that no longer fits with modern evolved man and is not required to live an ethical & moral life.

Ethics and morals have developed in spite of religion not because of it.

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2012, 6:49 pm

Prud, this was a very good response, I'll get to it tonight