Do we have the moral right to create artificial intelligence

Page 4 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2012, 3:27 pm

AspieRogue wrote:
Another thing, puddingmouse:

Organic beings require energy and materials in order to survive and resist entropy. Computing machines also require energy in the form of electricity. A sentient robot will need energy to produce electric current for its circuit as well as replacement parts when its internal components. But even computer chips eventually succumb to entropy and stop working so machines too will be mortal and need to reproduce themselves.

Or be replaced by their human makers. There are always more from where they came from.

ruveyn

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2012, 4:34 pm

Kurgan wrote:
AspieRogue wrote:
Kurgan wrote:
We have nothing to lose by creating artificial intelligence, but everything to gain. A computer will never be sentient, so we should have no fear that machines will rule the world.

Evidence, please? The human brain is itself a biological computer.

I cannot prove a negative. If something sounds very farfetched, it should be ruled out until proven otherwise. CPUs today are simply more advanced versions of CPUs 20 years ago (with more cores, 64 bit instruction sets and more transistors). Most likely, the development will continue in THIS path.

Regardless of what the human brain does, it's not made of transistors, circuit boards, shift registers, and flip-flops.

except today you have researchers in computing using neural nets for almost anything they can imagine, they are slow and limited in their "neurons" but it functions in a fundementally different way from a normal computer, '
i am not saying that that is all there is to intelligence or sentience but with an exponential increase in complexity one could eventually create something akin to at least some of the human brain, in that there is potential.

thing is i see intelligence and sentience on a gradient and it isnt neccesarily an on off switch, i dont think sentience or intelligence in humans is an on off switch either.
we might eventally reach a point where we have to ascribe at least some genuine intelligence and sentience to a computer.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

18 Nov 2012, 8:03 pm

ruveyn wrote:
AspieRogue wrote:

Organic beings require energy and materials in order to survive and resist entropy. Computing machines also require energy in the form of electricity. A sentient robot will need energy to produce electric current for its circuit as well as replacement parts when its internal components. But even computer chips eventually succumb to entropy and stop working so machines too will be mortal and need to reproduce themselves.

Or be replaced by their human makers. There are always more from where they came from.

ruveyn

Manufacturing of machine parts is overwhelmingly automated. There's no reason machines can't do it for themselves.

Kurgan wrote:
AspieRogue wrote:
Kurgan wrote:
We have nothing to lose by creating artificial intelligence, but everything to gain. A computer will never be sentient, so we should have no fear that machines will rule the world.

Evidence, please? The human brain is itself a biological computer.

I cannot prove a negative. If something sounds very farfetched, it should be ruled out until proven otherwise. CPUs today are simply more advanced versions of CPUs 20 years ago (with more cores, 64 bit instruction sets and more transistors).

Regardless of what the human brain does, it's not made of transistors, circuit boards, shift registers, and flip-flops.

They are made of neurons, which produce electrical signals in the form of time series which appear to be an intermediary between analog and digital(they have features of BOTH). Using statistical tools like Kalman filters, Markov chains, and fourier analysis signals from sensory and motor neurons have already been decoded. There are now electronic implants that can transmit signals(externally) from the brain to skeletal muscles to help people with neuropathy/paralysis.

Quote:
Most likely, the development will continue in THIS path.

For the next 10 years, that's probably true......But there is a finite limit to how small embedded transistors on an IC can get before quantum effects will cause unwanted noise that will produce data and computational errors. Once this occurs, the next step will be developing an entirely new kind of computing technology. It's called QUANTUM COMPUTING.

Last edited by AspieRogue on 18 Nov 2012, 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2012, 8:06 pm

AspieRogue wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
AspieRogue wrote:

ruveyn

Manufacturing of machine parts is overwhelmingly automated. There's no reason machines can't do it for themselves.

Machine A can make multiple copies of Machine B. Von Neuman proved that it is theoretically possible to make a machine that will replicate itself if there is material available. So I suppose it could be done. It mot not be economical though.

ruveyn

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2012, 2:50 pm

I am a student library science, most recently during a lecture on databases my professor was talking about a very interesting AI Expert System called, Wolfram Alpha http://www.wolframalpha.com/ she was very impressed by it, and to be honest other students and I'm also