Do aspies gravitate towards metal? (the music genre)

Page 7 of 8 [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

AngryJackal97
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Jun 2021, 10:08 pm

I haven’t seen others like me who are also into that genre, but I myself however listen to metal BIG TIME!! ! Just something about the angry and chaotic melody that brings me in every single time! We are all different in this community and have different interests that we hold onto. I’m into Metal and Rap music from the 90’s, others find it not so interesting and listen to other genres and I’m cool that.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2021, 10:33 pm

I like metal but mostly simpler/more minimalist styles. I get bored during long widdily parts. I also like a lot of hardcore punk.

I like some industrial and a lot of hip-hop as well. :nerdy:

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2021, 10:51 pm

I like the art...I don't necessarily like the artists and fake-arse fans

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2021, 11:08 pm

i do more than gravitate AWAY from it. no offense.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2021, 11:11 pm

There a lot of teens who wear black metal shirts and grow beards and get tattoos and do anti-social things because they like the culture more than they like the music.

AngryJackal97

04 Jun 2021, 11:23 pm

cyberdad wrote:
There a lot of teens who wear black metal shirts and grow beards and get tattoos and do anti-social things because they like the culture more than they like the music.

Hahahaha! Back when I used to work at my pizza stand job I had a guy in his Late teens who wore a black Slipknot shirt and I said “Oh cool! You like Slipknot! What song you like the most?” (Mine at that time was Wait and Bleed) And he said “Oh I don’t really listen to them, I just thought the shirt looked cool...” Major facepalm moment. Also gotta agree with you not liking the artists themselves (both metal and non metal genres) can make great music but most of them aren’t really great people.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2021, 11:25 pm

AngryJackal97 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Hahahaha! Back when I used to work at my pizza stand job I had a guy in his Late teens who wore a black Slipknot shirt and I said “Oh cool! You like Slipknot! What song you like the most?” (Mine at that time was Wait and Bleed) And he said “Oh I don’t really listen to them, I just thought the shirt looked cool...” Major facepalm moment. Also gotta agree with you not liking the artists themselves (both metal and non metal genres) can make great music but most of them aren’t really great people.

Precisely, 100% you get it...

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2021, 2:29 pm

No. I like anything but metal.

Udinaas
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2021, 4:11 pm

I do. I usually prefer music that's both melodic and extreme, in metal and in other genres. But my definition of melodic is different than most people's. I get a lot of riffs and vocal melodies stuck in my head that aren't catchy in a traditional sense.

Redd_Kross
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2021, 5:03 pm

I generally like stuff that ignores stereotypes, labels etc. The irony of lots of kids all dressed in the same expensive clothes claiming to be "alternative" hasn't passed me by.

So I like metal that isn't stereotypical, same as I like indie, rock, stoner rock, shoegazer, trip-hop, drum'n'bass etc. etc. that's playful, innovative, a bit unconventional or slightly subversive / ironic / twisted (in a good way).

And then occasionally I'll fall in love with something completely cliche-ridden in order to subvert my own avoidance of cliches, ahahahah

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2021, 8:56 pm

Udinaas wrote:
I do. I usually prefer music that's both melodic and extreme, in metal and in other genres. But my definition of melodic is different than most people's. I get a lot of riffs and vocal melodies stuck in my head that aren't catchy in a traditional sense.

i think you'd like this one then-

Udinaas
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2021, 4:40 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Udinaas wrote:

i think you'd like this one then-

It's good but not extreme in the way I'm talking about. I mean extreme in the way that the "extreme metal" sub-genres like black, doom, or death metal are extreme. Mostly stuff that would be at least an 8 on this scale:
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/ ... alHardness
but also some other random music that feels more intense to me in other ways.
My favorite band sounds like this:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2021, 8:05 pm

8O :o :skull: :pale: :help:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2021, 8:30 pm

This one goes to 11. :nerdy:

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Udinaas
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2021, 8:56 pm

auntblabby wrote:

Yeah, it can be shocking if you're not used to it. But it's very melodic for death metal. The growled lyrics are understandable and there's a clean chorus and acoustic bridge in the second half.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2021, 9:07 pm

Udinaas wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Yeah, it can be shocking if you're not used to it. But it's very melodic for death metal. The growled lyrics are understandable and there's a clean chorus and acoustic bridge in the second half.

Opeth are nice when can muster the attention span but so often I find myself thinking ugh, get back to the fun part.

Sometimes it's nice when bands just have 'thrash parts' and 'mosh parts'. I mean, throw in some 'slam parts' and you've got the next wave of crossover.

NWOCTM should replace pizza thrash. 8)

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う