Nailed it. Short video on sensory overload, worth watching.

Page 2 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2012, 5:09 pm

Great vid. I have to say I rarely experience it to that extreme, but it does happen from time to time. And people wonder why I just won't leave the house for a while sometimes.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

Sanctus
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2012, 5:11 pm

Speaking about autism simulations, what do you think about this?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plPNhooUUuc[/youtube]

It's fascinating for me how quiet the world apparently is for NTs (first half of the video).

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2012, 5:25 pm

I don't understand the video part. Why was it done like a cartoon. Wouldn't that suggest to people watching the video that we see things as cartoons? I have to say the audio on this video was excellent. I just don't understand why they didn't do a comparison so I could experience how most people process sound. That's as much a mystery to me as my processing is to other people.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2012, 5:26 pm

Sanctus wrote:

It's fascinating for me how quiet the world apparently is for NTs (first half of the video).

I think this one is good too but the brightness is too high.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2012, 5:27 pm

I think that this can show the sensory eggsperience of hearing all the noises all the time to people who don't have that, but what it can't show is the horrible mental discomfort/dysfunction/shutdown caused by the hearing. I don't think that NTs watching and listening to this video would have the same shutdown as autistic eggsperiencing this through their autistic brains.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2012, 7:30 pm

Rascal77s wrote:
I don't understand the video part. Why was it done like a cartoon. Wouldn't that suggest to people watching the video that we see things as cartoons? I have to say the audio on this video was excellent. I just don't understand why they didn't do a comparison so I could experience how most people process sound. That's as much a mystery to me as my processing is to other people.

I thought it was a fairly good representation of what happens to me when I'm overstimulated. That is, sort of, how the world seems to me during the episodes. Surreal. Not exactly like a cartoon necessarily, but there is no way to accurately represent what I do see, or how it seems I see. It's an approximation. I'm sure it's very different from how each of us experiences it individually, but how can you do that with one video? It's impossible. I'm sure there will be some who see it and think it's an accurate representation, and it would have been a good idea for the producers to have mentioned that it is only an approximation. That it is impossible to create anything to demonstrate it that would be 100% accurate.

You can't please everyone. :shrug:

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

Brielle
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Nov 2012, 8:20 pm

Wow, nice find. It shows exactly what it's like to get sensory overload, though it would've been nicer if it showed the shutdown/meltdown that followed.

Sanctus wrote:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plPNhooUUuc[/youtube]

This is another good one too, the brightness is slightly too high but everything else is perfect. I'm also fascinated by how quiet it is for NTs. I mean, how do they block all of that out?

DX w/ Asperger's syndrome, obsessive-compulsive disorder, generalized anxiety disorder.

AQ: 42
Aspie score: 170 of 200
Neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 25 of 200

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2012, 9:45 pm

Awesome video! I would love to see a video of what NTs hear in the world around them, because I can't imagine it any differently.

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2012, 11:17 pm

MrXxx wrote:
Rascal77s wrote:

I thought it was a fairly good representation of what happens to me when I'm overstimulated. That is, sort of, how the world seems to me during the episodes. Surreal. Not exactly like a cartoon necessarily, but there is no way to accurately represent what I do see, or how it seems I see. It's an approximation. I'm sure it's very different from how each of us experiences it individually, but how can you do that with one video? It's impossible. I'm sure there will be some who see it and think it's an accurate representation, and it would have been a good idea for the producers to have mentioned that it is only an approximation. That it is impossible to create anything to demonstrate it that would be 100% accurate.

You're right in that people will see things differently. For me indoor lighting makes things look 'staticy', like TV 'snow' but translucent looking. I was just thinking that people will take the cartoon part literally and think we all live in a buggs bunny cartoon.

muff
Toucan
Toucan

18 Nov 2012, 11:32 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
I think that this can show the sensory eggsperience of hearing all the noises all the time to people who don't have that, but what it can't show is the horrible mental discomfort/dysfunction/shutdown caused by the hearing. I don't think that NTs watching and listening to this video would have the same shutdown as autistic eggsperiencing this through their autistic brains.

yes, i found the unfortunate lacking of the video was showing a shutdown response. the video does its best to get the point across, which is a difficult point to get across. in doing so, they made the responder seem a little inauthentic. he looks at the objects producing the sounds and so he has an awful lot of things to keep focusing on, but i think more in reality you wouldnt say to yourself, 'self, what is that whooping sound that is getting more whoopy, oh it is that fan up there.' it seems as though the responder is surprised by the overstimulation. i dont think a lot of us are and i further think that stimuli is more of a torture chamber kind of deal, which speaks to the point that the mental discomfort is the missing part here.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2012, 11:41 pm

Rascal77s wrote:
MrXxx wrote:
Rascal77s wrote:

You're right in that people will see things differently. For me indoor lighting makes things look 'staticy', like TV 'snow' but translucent looking. I was just thinking that people will take the cartoon part literally and think we all live in a buggs bunny cartoon.

I see indoor lights in rays
this can be a problem as it makes headlights extra blinding

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2012, 12:05 am

The other issue with this video is that the sounds are ackshuly not that bad compared to the overwhelming horror of the many noises all together in one big disgusting jumble. Someone mentioned earlier that their eggsperience is much moar jumbled. That is so for me too. Compared to what I hear, I would rather hear the not so bad stuff in the video. The sounds in the video are too clear and good. They are just loud, that's the main problem. In reality, the problem is worse than loudness and lots of noises for me. It is all the noises at the same time in the big disgusting jumble that shuts down my brain. The video really doesn't get across the jumble.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2012, 12:08 am

I think everyone can hear all those sounds (except for florescent lights unless they have good hearing too) but they don't get overwhelmed by them because their minds can handle it all. So can I. I am not that sensitive. I may not always hear all those sounds because other sounds drone out those little ones like feet tapping or drinks pouring or fans going. Can autistic people can hear all those sounds even if there were other noises that are louder than those other sounds that are quieter?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

BrokenBill
Toucan
Toucan

19 Nov 2012, 12:20 am

The echo of the sound is the worst thing for me, bare rooms with hard floors are a killer. Oh and that mock exaggerated female laughter from some princess who is so having a good time and wants everyone to know. (thinks going postal thoughts :twisted: )

Then there's unruly kids and , and :wall:

You are very likely an Aspie

MrStewart
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2012, 1:33 am

I had to close it halfway through. It was too much.

If the goal was to highlight what it feels like; mission accomplished.

NarcissusSavage
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2012, 2:26 am

Yeah, I forced myself to watch the whole thing and endure it. Even now, an hour later, I'm still a little stressed out and tensed up... skin feels tingly too >.<

I get that they needed to use cartoons for this, some of the aspects of the sensory overload they are trying to highlight would have been prohibitively expensive to use real lifelike video with CG to illustrate.