Are you embarrassed or ashamed about having Asperger's?

Page 4 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2012, 4:53 pm

Yeah at times I am but theres nothing I can do about it. I really am when I am having a meltdown or shutdown and people dont understand why also when I unintentionially annoy people with my repetition.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Nesf
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Nov 2012, 5:03 pm

I'm not ashamed because "ashamed" implies I've done something wrong and it's my fault, and I know it's not my fault that I was born with AS.
However, it's a private issue and only close family members know. I wouldn't tell anyone else about it unless there's a very good reason for them to know. I don't like the idea of being labelled by people who are ignorant of the thing they are labelling.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2012, 6:18 am

If I didn't have AS, I wouldn't be spending my day off sobbing because the f*****s that run the bus company have changed all the bus-drivers and I can no longer see my favourite ones any more. I doubt if I were normal I wouldn't be this obsessed with a bus company, even if I was into it I still wouldn't be this obsessed and I would probably be able to move on and think of other things like my social life and all that.

God I wish I didn't have AS. :cry:

Moondust
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2012, 4:50 pm

I am VERY embarrassed and ashamed that I try to pass for NT at work because it's bigger income than Social Security. I think I should have the integrity to not hide what I am and resign myself to living on the edge of starvation for the rest of my old age. But aspies are tread on as it is, let alone if you're an old, alone woman living in slums.

CuriousKitten
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Nov 2012, 5:17 pm

Jediyoda wrote:
No I am not embarressed or ashamed of having Aspergers I am proud of who I am and me being me and if NTs out there do not like me for me well thats there problem not mine.

get'um :-)

Seriously, we should all be proud of who we are, and what we each have achieved, be it because of Autism or in spite of it.

Of the Autism awareness t-shirts I've seen, my all time favorite is the one with a cat on the front and the caption "This is a cat, not a defective dog. It is very happy being a cat". This is the healthiest attitude we could have.

I still try to learn how to pass, but not because I'm ashamed of who I am. It is much like learning the language and culture of France if I was going to be working with/around French people.

Aspie score: 142/200 NT score: 64/200
AQ Score: 42
BAP: 109 aloof, 94 rigid and 85 pragmatic

0neironaut
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Nov 2012, 5:47 pm

I used to be. But not anymore.

I am who I am.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2012, 5:55 pm

Not at all. I actually interact with customers in tough situations better than the NTs I work with.

raindrops
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Nov 2012, 2:53 pm

I'm not embarassed or ashamed, but I don't like people I meet knowing I have Aspergers, as in the past people have treated me like a freak. I'd rather people not know because then I'd get treated like everyone else. People mostly can't tell I'm Autistic anyway, apart from when I'm extremely shy.