Are you embarrassed or ashamed about having Asperger's?

Page 3 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2012, 8:10 pm

No, I'm not.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2012, 8:18 pm

Chaos_Epoch wrote:
Curiotical wrote:
Chaos_Epoch wrote:
I don't blame them for treating us like crap.

You don't blame people for discriminating against Autistics and treating them like crap?! You disgust me.

I can think what I want; in all honesty I hate this thing. I just want to fit in... be normal. NTs have lives, I don't. Joe90 sums up my opinion's pretty well.

What would you define as "a life"?

I believe I have a life. It isn't the same life that a neurotypical person would have, but that doesn't make it inferior in my eyes.
Some other people might think it is, but I'm the one living it, so it's my opinion that counts.

*edit* To answer the OP, no, I am not embarrassed or ashamed. I do not believe that disability is a cause for shame.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Trainbuff
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Nov 2012, 10:52 pm

IDK about ashamed or embarrassed, but I do have negative feelings about having this condition.

That bad it caused FAR outweighs the good.

Chaos_Epoch
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Nov 2012, 11:15 pm

Who_Am_I wrote:
Chaos_Epoch wrote:
Curiotical wrote:
Chaos_Epoch wrote:
I don't blame them for treating us like crap.

You don't blame people for discriminating against Autistics and treating them like crap?! You disgust me.

I can think what I want; in all honesty I hate this thing. I just want to fit in... be normal. NTs have lives, I don't. Joe90 sums up my opinion's pretty well.

What would you define as "a life"?

I believe I have a life. It isn't the same life that a neurotypical person would have, but that doesn't make it inferior in my eyes.
Some other people might think it is, but I'm the one living it, so it's my opinion that counts.

*edit* To answer the OP, no, I am not embarrassed or ashamed. I do not believe that disability is a cause for shame.

A life, as in not staying at home every night and weekend; trying to convince myself that video games and TV somehow substitute's for having fun with friends and feeling accepted by others. Instead of getting the cold shoulder by my peers, simply because of my quirks... or not being able to pick up on subtle body language.

japan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Nov 2012, 12:06 am

Fnord wrote:
Neither.

I just know that there are many people who will treat me like crap if they ever found out, so I keep it to myself.

Exactly how I feel.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2012, 4:05 am

japan wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Neither.

I just know that there are many people who will treat me like crap if they ever found out, so I keep it to myself.

Exactly how I feel.

People don't need to know I've got Aspergers to treat me like crap - many do it automatically as I must come across as vulnerable/dislikeable, so telling them I've got Aspergers is neither here nor there as the judgemental ones will already have made their judgement.

It does tend to shield me from a lot of unpleasant people though as these types seem to hate me on sight anyway so we both know where we stand immediately! lol

People who fit NT expectations better than me have a more tricky time in my opinion as they can often be in constant fear of not keeping their NT act up sufficiently whereas I'm able to just be me more or less. My NT 'act' is trying to be polite, not show too much knowledge or intelligence and to keep a low profile oh and to try my best not to tell them to f-off when they annoy me too much but this is very hard when I'm too stressed.

permian
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Nov 2012, 4:36 am

No way, Aspergers made me what I am, as far as I know if I didn't have it I would be pretty much talentless and boring.
And to all those people who are ashamed, don't be, you're gifted.

madnak
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Nov 2012, 6:26 am

Chaos_Epoch wrote:
A life, as in not staying at home every night and weekend; trying to convince myself that video games and TV somehow substitute's for having fun with friends and feeling accepted by others. Instead of getting the cold shoulder by my peers, simply because of my quirks... or not being able to pick up on subtle body language.

Sounds about right.

I'm embarrassed and ashamed.

r84shi37
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Nov 2012, 10:38 am

First, I don't know if I have AS; I just share a fair number of traits. Second, if I did get a diagnosis I would probably tell one friend and then maybe my sister (parents already suspect). Other than that I wouldn't mention it at all. Same reasons as Fnord described.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

19 Nov 2012, 10:59 am

I am not ashamed, and I am not embarrassed about having Asperger's. Although there are challenges with autism (but everyone has challenges on this earth), I embrace Asperger's for the gifts and talents it has given to me.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2012, 11:39 am

Jitro wrote:
Are you embarrassed or ashamed about having Asperger's?

No. But I wish I didn't have it, although seeing how NTs behave I wouldn't want to be like that either, perhaps the answer is tolerance from the world to people with AS.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

NobodyKnows
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2012, 5:16 pm

MrStewart wrote:
No. If I were to ascribe a particular emotion to my disorders, it would be anger. Anger that life is not like this for others. Anger that many people were raised by responsible parents in stable homes.

Amen.

jacked
Raven
Raven

19 Nov 2012, 9:54 pm

I'm not.
I tell people when I'm working on autism or when they are.
especially when it comes to my children's school.
It helps my children, the other parents and children as well.

billiscool
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2012, 1:09 am

no, because I don't asperger. I have pddnos. and Im not ashamed of that.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2012, 1:22 am

I don't have an effective way of communicating this to onlookers, toward a useful end.

I believe that showing weakness tends to be a social liability but appreciate knowing my own mind.

I see a symptom, in my life, and do not worry, I suppose, for no other reason than it has a name and is not assumed to be dangerous.

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2012, 3:59 pm

No not really.