Do I belong in the AS or Autism community?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

MisterCosgrove
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Nov 2012, 1:17 am

Well I fundamentally don't agree with labels that serve to stigmatize people. It appears like those with AS and Autism only like to promote it more and feel inclined to announce it everywhere they go online. This is what I go against fundamentally. It may be argued by guys here that they are trying to eliminate the stigma but it's a long process if there was any progress at all and I would prefer to be an individual who isn't associated with labels and stereotypes on a casual basis. What do you here believe?

EstherJ
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2012, 1:39 am

You're blaming the wrong thing.

You can't blame labels. They are categories, mere names, words, nothing else.

It's society, people, and their ignorant gut reaction that is the problem.

I have no issue with labels. Labels don't cause stigma. People cause stigma.

It's sort of like saying: I don't believe in guns because guns kill people. No, people holding guns kill people.

Let's not be gullible or ignorant here, please. :)

Logicalmom
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2012, 1:51 am

Well, stigma happens. I appreciate having an explanation for myself and I don't mind at all being an Aspie. At this point in my life, it was a piece I needed to know so I could ... have peace. I was already labelled weird, eccentric, a bit odd, spinny, crazy, what have you. It's good to know that I am not defective - I'm just different. I think there are lots of reasons people adhere to or reject the "label" or "name" - including just trying to find others like ourselves so we have people to talk to who understand. Some might want to fight stigma, some are private, some are open, some are activists, some share your view, some just want to hang out with a community of people who share similar experiences, and some have other views and reasons all together. That's all. :)

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2012, 1:54 am

What exactly is the issue?

A person with diabetes will not have an easier life if they are not labeled as being a "diabetic". Indeed a diabetics life would be worse- and even endangered- if there were no label for a person with their condition in the language.

If you are on the spectrum then you are destined for a life of stigmatization regardless of how you or others label you simply because you dont fit it.

If you dont get labeled as autistic or aspie, then you will get labeled as a ret*d sick wierdo. Is that better?

So if you really are on the spectrum than why do you think that being labeled as being on the spectrum is harmful to you?

quaker
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2012, 3:02 am

My diagnosis was not so much a diagnosis, but a moment of enlightenment. The facts are kind.

Although I can say that I have autism (so be it high-functioning) I can also say that autism does not have me. However, many people cling to their dx, or autistic identity for very good reasons.

When people cling or crave an identity it is often because they suffer. When the suffering abates, softens, integration becomes easier. Just look at how mainstream gay and black culture is now?

People even stereotype themselves, as a means to belong, but soon even that fades when an individual feels safe and stronger in themselves.

Autistic culture is very different from many other cultures because of the many aspects of autism making making the social world so hard to navigate, thus integration is perhaps not the desired goal.

MisterCosgrove
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Nov 2012, 3:53 am

I am afraid I can't feel the spirit. Sorry but thanks for trying to help.

analyser23
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Nov 2012, 4:01 am

I like to categorise things. It helps to make more logical sense of things and create more order for me.
However, I don't treat those labels badly. Before I create a label I learn everything there possibly is to know about it. The problem occurs when people learn one or two facts for each label (often incorrect facts, also), and then treat it negatively.
I also understand that each individual is different. The facts in each label are guidelines only.

Hence I agree with EstherJ and naturalplastic in that it is the way that people treat the labels. And also that a label can be used for good, too.

You say you don't feel the spirit? What do you mean by "the spirit"? What are you looking for?

Kairi96
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Nov 2012, 8:16 am

Quote:
Well I fundamentally don't agree with labels that serve to stigmatize people.

Same for me. I hate labels.

Quote:
It appears like those with AS and Autism only like to promote it more and feel inclined to announce it everywhere they go online.This is what I go against fundamentally.

I am against it, too. This is why I don't understand people who brag about the fact they have AS/Autism on their profile page, like it happens on deviantART. I mean, I am on dA too, and I made stamps about autism/AS, but I will never write openly on my dA page that I have AS.

Quote:
I would prefer to be an individual who isn't associated with labels and stereotypes on a casual basis.

Eh, I agree with this. But society apparently seem to like putting labels on people.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2012, 8:28 am

Perhaps you don't--like everything else, there are pluses and minuses.

I'm here because I can help a few people out with my wide variety of experiences as an Aspie. Sometimes it is easier to figure stuff out if you can communicate with someone who has gone through a similar situation. Not always, every situation is unique--your situation may be different enough that you need to find your own path. I certainly didn't have any help through much of my life--but I did pretty well by almost any standard. But, the more I know, the easier it gets to blow past the unpleasant but necessary parts of life, so I can have more fun with the fun parts of life.

For instance, I helped out in the yard, went shopping and watched 1-1/2 movies this weekend--which satisfied my wife needs for companionship this weekend. It is now early Sunday morning. I was clueless about this until I learned about Aspergers and figured it out... There is certainly truth to the phase, "Happy wife, Happy life."

FMX
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2012, 8:31 am

I can't say I've noticed people shouting about their AS all over the Internet, other than in AS-specific forums like this one. Obviously that's each individual's choice. There are a number of reasons why someone may choose to do that, such as:

1) They may feel it's liberating as it explains why they're different and reveals that they're not alone.
2) Giving something a name tends to legitimise it in people's minds. Irrational, but true in my observation.
3) It's the truth, which tends to be important to people with AS, and they may simply be stating it as a fact without attaching any emotions to it.

As for the question in your title, whether you belong in the AS community, that's more a question for you than anyone else. There's no official approval process or anything (or at least no-one told me about it :)). If you think you're on the spectrum that's usually enough. It doesn't mean you have to agree with the majority of the community on any particular issue.

Zodai
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2012, 9:28 am

FMX wrote:
I can't say I've noticed people shouting about their AS all over the Internet, other than in AS-specific forums like this one. Obviously that's each individual's choice. There are a number of reasons why someone may choose to do that, such as:

1) They may feel it's liberating as it explains why they're different and reveals that they're not alone.
2) Giving something a name tends to legitimise it in people's minds. Irrational, but true in my observation.
3) It's the truth, which tends to be important to people with AS, and they may simply be stating it as a fact without attaching any emotions to it.

As for the question in your title, whether you belong in the AS community, that's more a question for you than anyone else. There's no official approval process or anything (or at least no-one told me about it :)). If you think you're on the spectrum that's usually enough. It doesn't mean you have to agree with the majority of the community on any particular issue.

I think #1 is more specifically the main one from my point of view.

Generally; it could also be a subconscious feeling that representing Autism in a positive fashion will, as a result, begin to remove negative stereotypes afflicted with it.

Author/Writer

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2012, 9:42 am

I used to think I 'passed' for NT, if I didn't use my label. And yeah, I don't generally get identified as having a disability.

Instead, I'm seen as:

* lazy
* stupid
* 'a piece of work'
* violent

At best, I'm seen as more capable than I really am (because they assume all my abilities are at the level of my strongest abilities), and this overestimation sets me up for failure by denying me help I really need.

So, yeah, I don't like being told there's something 'wrong' with me, and I'd like to change the stigma around being called autistic. But it's better than the alternative.

I also call myself autistic to show solidarity to the 'other' autistics, the ones who'll be seen as disabled no matter what label you give them. Despite the outward differences between me and 'low functioning' autistics, often they have my quirks magnified.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2012, 9:56 pm

I was stigmatized LONG before I had a diagnosis. My autistic traits are more accepted now that they have a label on them (before they were inexcusable, now they are not my fault). I don't tell everyone I know because it doesn't always come up, but I definitely don't mind telling people if the opportunity does come up.

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

19 Nov 2012, 11:37 am

The people who know me define me primarily with music and roller coasters. Where did my musical ability come from? And where did my interest in roller coasters come from? The answer to both lies in autism. Autism provided those things for me. I am an autistic talent savant in music and facts concerning special intense interests. With music, I can play any instrument that I become fascinated with in little time and without instruction. With facts, for example, I memorized (without trying) the statistics of every roller coaster in North America by the time I was in high school. I really enjoy music and roller coasters---just like certain people really enjoy a favorite sports team. You see a person walking down the street with a Cincinnati Bengals hat on---why?---probably because they enjoy the Cincinnati Bengals. Why do I and certain other autistic people openly tell others "I have autism?" Because I enjoy having autism. Sure, it has challenges---everyone has challenges. But I can still enjoy it.

I don't like to socialize---I never have. I have my family and that's enough. My friends are my interests. I don't require going out socializing with friends because I have family---I enjoy doing things with them.

So I wear "the hat" of autism (figuratively) in the way others wear hats for their favorite teams. I enjoy it. People do not judge me solely on my challenges, for they judge me more on my abilities---which mainly come from autism. Therefore I am not stigmatized by the label of autism.

But this is my story of my life with autism, and not the story that fits many others with autism. We each have our own opinions and experiences of autism. That is our right. We are a diverse culture, and I believe it is supposed to be that way. We should celebrate what we want, and not celebrate things we don't want to.