Stress helper device- Concept 4 - Stress feedback toy

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

jeffmakes
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Nov 2012, 8:15 am

Some people like to play/fidget with an object to relax. This stress toy gives you feedback about your physiological state while you are playing with it. It may glow different colours to indicate your heart rate, for example. This physiological data is captured with a wearable sensor, and transmitted to the stress toy via a wireless link.

Your stress history is uploaded to a web-based tracking application where you can see the times you've been most stressed. You can choose to share the data with your psychologist/family/etc.

Do you play with objects when you are stressed?
Would you like to get some feedback about your state of physiological emotional arousal?
Would you like to share a log of your stress/anxiety with others? Who?

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2012, 8:16 am

This is at least the 3rd thread I've seen about this, but I don't think I've had a response to my post where I said I would be happy to try your chosen device.

This particular one comes lower than the glasses in preference for me.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

Last edited by whirlingmind on 19 Nov 2012, 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Logicalmom
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2012, 8:55 am

This would be my favorite toy. I guess the physiological information would indicate whether I am using it for stress or whether I am fascinated by reading the physiological feedback which I know I would be completely obsessed with. This in itself would be relaxing, although perhaps not in the way intended :wink: Where can I get me one of these?

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2012, 6:57 pm

This would just be fun.

gretchyn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Nov 2012, 11:27 am

I think this would be fun, but I would prefer something that I can manipulate with my fingers like a Tangle (click), or a thin, flexible rectangle something like a handkerchief (which I love to twirl around my fingers). I know, though, that both of these toys would be much more difficult to put sensors into.

jeffmakes
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Nov 2012, 2:43 pm

Thanks everyone. We're aggregating all of your replies together, and using them to develop our concepts. Getting this feedback from the WP community has been extremely helpful.

whirlingmind: your kind offer has not fallen on deaf ears; DM is on the way...

gretchyn has given us a great description of what makes a good "stress toy" for her. Does anyone else have similar or different preferences?

Logicalmom; really interesting to hear that you'd become obsessed with the data, in a good way! How would you like it to be presented? Something more detailed/mathematical - graphs, etc? Or would you prefer something more freeform/artistic?

We could make the toy react with light/sound/heat/vibration as you play with it. What do you think about that?

dunya
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Nov 2012, 5:32 pm

I think this would be useful.
It might help me see when I am most stressed.
Also to divert me from harmful habits, like scratching.
I have small hands, so something not too large.

Logicalmom
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2012, 12:39 am

I would like to see something detailed :)

nerdymama
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Nov 2012, 1:14 am

Something fun to play with that creates mathematical data that I can later analyze?!? :D I love it