Am I liberal? Conservative? YOU decide, PPR!

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

What is AspieRogue's true political polarity?
liberal 60%  60%  [ 6 ]
conservative 40%  40%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 10

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2012, 6:45 pm

bigwheel wrote:
Right. That's additional symptoms. Unless they believe killing babies is Ok..they cant be liberals i.e. Democrats. John F. Kennedy would have to be a Republican nowadays. His pro-Life stance would not set well with Obamie and his cohorts. His tax cutting strategy would not set well with them either.

I think most left-liberals would be more than happy to accept Kennedy's policy of a 70% top tax bracket.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2012, 6:52 pm

I think you're part of the dangerous EXTREME middle of the road, and are a potential recruit for the Gerald Ford terrorists!

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2012, 7:23 pm

AspieRogue is AspieRogue.

bigwheel
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Nov 2012, 8:26 pm

Master_Pedant wrote:
bigwheel wrote:
Right. That's additional symptoms. Unless they believe killing babies is Ok..they cant be liberals i.e. Democrats. John F. Kennedy would have to be a Republican nowadays. His pro-Life stance would not set well with Obamie and his cohorts. His tax cutting strategy would not set well with them either.

I think most left-liberals would be more than happy to accept Kennedy's policy of a 70% top tax bracket.

Interesting factoid on JFK thanks. Now did inherit that tax rate from some other Prez or was that his baby? If it brings any comfort I did not vote for him since I was way too young. Heck Dubja was way too liberal for me. He was just like his Daddy..talk conservative and act liberal.

19 Nov 2012, 9:47 pm

GGPViper wrote:
AspieRogue wrote:
1. If anything, I am a Hobbesist: a disciple of Thomas Hobbes, by far the greatest philosopher that Britain has ever produced and perhaps the greatest of all time.

*throws down gauntlet.*

NO! I will not stand by your Scotophobia!

The exalted disciples of Democritus, Epicurus and Sextus Empiricus will never yield to the onslaught of the vile henchmen of Sun Tzu, Thucydides and Old Nick.

WTF does that have to do with skotophobia?

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2012, 10:39 pm

bigwheel wrote:

Interesting factoid on JFK thanks. Now did inherit that tax rate from some other Prez or was that his baby?

It was his policy. He lowered it down from 90% to 70% after his attempts to stimulate the economy via public spending were halted by opposition.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_ ... melot.html

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2012, 4:54 am

Neither, the most succinct description I'd go with is elitist authoritarian.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

20 Nov 2012, 2:11 pm

bigwheel wrote:
Heck Dubja was way too liberal for me. He was just like his Daddy..talk conservative and act liberal.

Wow. Just wow.

"Liberal" things done by GWB:
1) Raise spending on areas other than the military
2) Clear Skies Act
3) Created a large MPA in Northwest Hawaii
4) Advocated replacing 20% of the country's fossil fuel with cleaner energy (though he chose the dirtiest of those, ethanol)

"Conservative" things done by GWB
1) Raise military spending
2) The Bush tax cuts
3) Oppose gay marriage (even centre-rightists like Obama are generally in favour of gay marriage)
4) Oppose embryonic stem cell research
5) Refused to sign Kyoto
6) Climate change sceptic
7) Allowing drilling for oil in Alaskan wilderness
8) Placed less restriction on faith-based "charities" than non-faith based "charities"
9) Banned partial-birth abortions
10) Supported capital punishment
11) Opposed euthanasia
12) Invaded Afghanistan just to seek revenge
13) Invaded Iraq illegally, seemingly for no good reason
14) Continued the War On Drugs

SpiritBlooms
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2012, 2:27 pm

AspieRogue wrote:
I think I've posted here long enough for you peoples to come up with an assessment of my political views. I am not a "conservative" in the classic American sense and certainly not a populist right winger. But I am also not really much of a liberal as I don't seem to share their values. So now it's your turn to give me some sagacious analysis of Antonian politics. :P

I voted liberal because I agree with a lot of your posts and I tend to vote liberal. But there's nothing wrong with being neither liberal nor conservative. I'm a mixture, myself. I've voted Republican in the past, on certain issues or for certain candidates. Just not anytime recently and not likely anytime soon. I really do believe in smaller government, but not disappeared government. I'd rather pay a lot for the government to make sure people are doing alright here, than spend trillions on a senseless war elsewhere. I agree with Gene Roddenberry, that we need to do away with money entirely. I detest anything that smacks of nanny state, not the kind that takes care of people but the kind that controls people in ways it shouldn't. I'd rather people be allowed to live their lives as they see fit, including reproductive rights, marriage rights, and ending the prohibition on drugs, prostitution, and a lot of other victim-less activities. I would like, if we have to use money, for the government to be supportive and less restrictive of cottage industries and much more restrictive of big business and banks. I might be a liberal libertarian, though I detest the word libertarian. I call myself a social democrat or a progressive.

People who meet me, though, and even people who've known me for years, tend to assume I'm conservative. I don't know why.

Do you really need to be one or the other, or need us to tell you? Or are you just curious what our reactions are to your posts, or what assumptions we make about you?

Last edited by SpiritBlooms on 20 Nov 2012, 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2012, 2:29 pm

AspieRogue wrote:
GGPViper wrote:
AspieRogue wrote:
1. If anything, I am a Hobbesist: a disciple of Thomas Hobbes, by far the greatest philosopher that Britain has ever produced and perhaps the greatest of all time.

*throws down gauntlet.*

The exalted disciples of Democritus, Epicurus and Sextus Empiricus will never yield to the onslaught of the vile henchmen of Sun Tzu, Thucydides and Old Nick.

Because David Hume and Adam Smith were both Scots :D.

20 Nov 2012, 2:43 pm

GGPViper wrote:
AspieRogue wrote:
GGPViper wrote:
AspieRogue wrote:

*throws down gauntlet.*

Because David Hume and Adam Smith were both Scots :D.[/quote

The correct term for fear/dislike of the Scots and their country is caledoniphobia. Scotophobia(which is properly spelled with a k in place of the c that you used)is the fear of the dark. :wink:

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2012, 3:29 pm

AspieRogue wrote:
GGPViper wrote:
AspieRogue wrote:
GGPViper wrote:
AspieRogue wrote:

*throws down gauntlet.*

Because David Hume and Adam Smith were both Scots :D.

The correct term for fear/dislike of the Scots and their country is caledoniphobia. Scotophobia(which is properly spelled with a k in place of the c that you used)is the fear of the dark. :wink:

I know 8). Nothing beats labels with confusing titles. It's a art!

... and some people actually use Scotophobia as a label for hatred of Scots... But arguments about semantics can only go so far...

BTW, according to an alarming number of posters on WP, Adam Smith apparently *is* the Dark Side. So I'm still right!

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2012, 4:20 pm

SpiritBlooms wrote:
People who meet me, though, and even people who've known me for years, tend to assume I'm conservative. I don't know why.

I get that a lot too; I think it has to do with many people accepting the false dichotomy of liberal and conservative, and assuming that the second you assert a non-liberal position you must be a conservative.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2012, 6:44 pm

Whichever polarity supports preventative buttrape

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2012, 6:53 pm

Center-left anti-populist snob.

20 Nov 2012, 8:10 pm

Vigilans wrote:
Whichever polarity supports preventative buttrape

In that case, I'm somewhere on the far right. Funny how you mention buttrape more than I do these days simply because I was the first ITF to mention it.......... .. . . . .. .. . ........Must be a *touchy* subject for ya! :P