Am I liberal? Conservative? YOU decide, PPR!

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

What is AspieRogue's true political polarity?
liberal 60%  60%  [ 6 ]
conservative 40%  40%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 10
19 Nov 2012, 10:19 am

I think I've posted here long enough for you peoples to come up with an assessment of my political views. I am not a "conservative" in the classic American sense and certainly not a populist right winger. But I am also not really much of a liberal as I don't seem to share their values. So now it's your turn to give me some sagacious analysis of Antonian politics. :P

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2012, 10:30 am

AspieRogue wrote:
I think I've posted here long enough for you peoples to come up with an assessment of my political views. I am not a "conservative" in the classic American sense and certainly not a populist right winger. But I am also not really much of a liberal as I don't seem to share their values. So now it's your turn to give me some sagacious analysis of Antonian politics. :P

Why do you care what other people think?

ruveyn

bigwheel
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Nov 2012, 11:23 am

The liberal conservative labels have become somewhat outdated from their original intent. Currently the terms all hinge on Abortion. Conservatives are Pro Life. Liberals believe in killing babies and saving whales. They purty nutty huh?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2012, 11:33 am

There are a handful of folks who post so often, with such rabid ideological fervor, that the casual regular can almost predict what they will say in response to anything.

Then there is everyone else who posts on WP. You havent made yourself the center of the universe the way some here have.

For me - its hard enough not to confuse you with AspieRho. And now you're asking me to memorize your political posts?

But I did just now check your last few posts via your profile.

Its hard to say.

Middle of the road with a slight liberal bent maybe.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2012, 11:34 am

Why don't you actually look at what you believe in more detail and come to a conclusion based on that? U.S.-style "liberal" and "conservative" labels are almost entirely meaningless I find.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2012, 12:48 pm

bigwheel wrote:
The liberal conservative labels have become somewhat outdated from their original intent. Currently the terms all hinge on Abortion. Conservatives are Pro Life. Liberals believe in killing babies and saving whales. They purty nutty huh?

The so-called liberals (in the modern sense) put the State and Society ahead of the Individual. They are all about curtailing our liberty.

ruveyn

bigwheel
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Nov 2012, 12:58 pm

Right. That's additional symptoms. Unless they believe killing babies is Ok..they cant be liberals i.e. Democrats. John F. Kennedy would have to be a Republican nowadays. His pro-Life stance would not set well with Obamie and his cohorts. His tax cutting strategy would not set well with them either. They want to take our guns too in case nobody has noticed. Additional symptoms of the liberalism disease.

ruveyn wrote:
bigwheel wrote:

The so-called liberals (in the modern sense) put the State and Society ahead of the Individual. They are all about curtailing our liberty.

ruveyn

19 Nov 2012, 1:02 pm

ruveyn wrote:
AspieRogue wrote:

ruveyn

Do not confuse curiosity with concern.

@Tequila,

1. If anything, I am a Hobbesist: a disciple of Thomas Hobbes, by far the greatest philosopher that Britain has ever produced and perhaps the greatest of all time. I often tell people that I'm a "Lovecraft conservative" as I tend to share to same social & political beliefs as the late great H P Lovecraft.

2. I don't consider myself a liberal because most liberals are humanists who believe in the "blank slate" concept because they have faith that humanity can change its ways and that people are magically complex(only understandable with intuition). I look at people as being essentially mechanical like all other creatures.

3. Now I live in an ostensibly free society. And when I see how people use their freedom it is clear that they often use it to be unfair, cruel, and often harmful to others. They also do not vote in their best interests nor in their own countries best interests and giving people freedom rewards bad behavior. So in that regard, I am generally pro-authoritarian.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2012, 1:34 pm

A true liberal regards an aborted fetus as a cheap source of protein.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2012, 1:42 pm

AspieRogue wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
AspieRogue wrote:

ruveyn

Do not confuse curiosity with concern.

@Tequila,

1. If anything, I am a Hobbesist: a disciple of Thomas Hobbes, by far the greatest philosopher that Britain has ever produced and perhaps the greatest of all time. I often tell people that I'm a "Lovecraft conservative" as I tend to share to same social & political beliefs as the late great H P Lovecraft.

2. I don't consider myself a liberal because most liberals are humanists who believe in the "blank slate" concept because they have faith that humanity can change its ways and that people are magically complex(only understandable with intuition). I look at people as being essentially mechanical like all other creatures.

3. Now I live in an ostensibly free society. And when I see how people use their freedom it is clear that they often use it to be unfair, cruel, and often harmful to others. They also do not vote in their best interests nor in their own countries best interests and giving people freedom rewards bad behavior. So in that regard, I am generally pro-authoritarian.

I respect Th. Hobbes but the greatest British philosopher was David Hume.

Question: if the authority in charge is or become a tyrant what do you propose doing? Simply knuckling under?

ruveyn

ruveyn

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2012, 1:51 pm

AspieRogue wrote:
1. If anything, I am a Hobbesist: a disciple of Thomas Hobbes, by far the greatest philosopher that Britain has ever produced and perhaps the greatest of all time.

*throws down gauntlet.*

NO! I will not stand by your Scotophobia!

The exalted disciples of Democritus, Epicurus and Sextus Empiricus will never yield to the onslaught of the vile henchmen of Sun Tzu, Thucydides and Old Nick.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2012, 2:21 pm

Quote:
="AspieRogue"]"Am I liberal? Conservative? YOU decide, PPR!"

Why are you allowing others to determine your identity?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2012, 4:26 pm

I find Liberal and conservative are utterly meaningless. Either you are on the Left, or you are not. And if you are not, what, of the many movements that exist, do you belong to, if anything?

They may be conservative movements, or not. But there is no ideological purity when it comes to all the groups that qualify as being on the Right -- it is just an odd tent of everyone who the Left hate, or who don't conform to the Left's trinity or principles. Matter of fact, some of those who are viewed as being on the Right don't identify with that label, and many who do use the term depart greatly on a number of issues from everyone else in the group as to render the term meaningless. Now, I say there is no ideological purity on the Right meaning everyone on this side is all lumped in under the term "Right" -- there is quite a lot of ideological purity, however, within each and every movement under this banner. Politics can and has become a religion for a great number of people. There is a tremendous amount of faith required to stick to your positions, even when they don't work, and everyone everywhere feels that if we just worked a few of the impediments out, we will have the well functioning political system that they envision. But that's another discussion.

But there is ideological purity on the left, and being on the left just means you fall somewhere on the line, with varying gradations from novice or non-active members, to the most pious elite. Stray from one of the three that comprise their trinity(Race, Gender, Class) by which they frame the world, and that is greatly unsettling, but it just means there's a few kinks in your heart that is blinding you from the truth. But, trail too far away from a few of the foundational values that bring about social justice, such as equality, compassion, multiculturalism, and tolerance, and you will risk nothing short of a full inquisition from the holy church, and excommunication to a non-Left group.

bigwheel
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Nov 2012, 5:42 pm

Not sure about the cheap protein aspect but the Cihicoms make tea out of the dried version. Supposed to increase their virility. You can buy in the Drug Store for 1.35 each in Americkan Money.

ArrantPariah wrote:
A true liberal regards an aborted fetus as a cheap source of protein.

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2012, 6:42 pm

I hereby declare AspieRogue to be a meta-contrarian (a term I'd like to thank Awesomelyglorious for indirectly notifying me of by notifying me of the existence of "Less Wrong").

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2012, 6:45 pm

bigwheel wrote:
Right. That's additional symptoms. Unless they believe killing babies is Ok..they cant be liberals i.e. Democrats. John F. Kennedy would have to be a Republican nowadays. His pro-Life stance would not set well with Obamie and his cohorts. His tax cutting strategy would not set well with them either.

I think most left-liberals would be more than happy to accept Kennedy's policy of a 70% top tax bracket.