Autism spectrum wrongly described in wikipedia

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2012, 6:37 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
Nearly all you say here is true. I think you overstate the extent of edit wars on the autism and Asperger's pages. The Asperger's page has been edited only 50 times in 7 months. Autism has had that number of edits in 6 months.

There is a reason for that. Those articles are edit locked fairly regularly directly due to edit wars. Set so that only certain users can get into them to edit. And that's where the control issues come in. Certain people behind the scenes with the power to do such things, can and do control the content of those articles. Who does so changes from time to time, but it happens. When the articles are put under tighter control, the editing slows down a great deal, but the number of people with editing powers reduced, the content can then become slanted to their points of view.

When they are wide open for anyone to edit, it's a crap shoot what you will find at any given moment. Either way, they are really not reliable.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2012, 6:46 pm

Sometimes it's best to go to the bottom of a Wikipedia page and check the references for unbroken links first -- the higher the percentage, the more I trust the article. Then I check to see if the available links actually support the page; if they do, then I trust it even more.

Is it just me, or do philosophic, political, and religious articles (PP&R) seem to have more broken links than those related to maths and sciences?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Last edited by Fnord on 20 Nov 2012, 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ianorlin
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2012, 6:47 pm

I have seen wikipedia used as a source to show what the majority erroneously believes without doing research.

onks
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Nov 2012, 6:50 pm

Fnord wrote:
Sometimes it's best to go to the bottom of a Wikipedia page and check the references for unbroken links first -- the higher the percentage, the more I trust the article. Then I check to see if the available links actually support the page; if they do, then I trust it even more.

Strange how philosophic, political, and religious articles seem to have more broken links than those related to maths and sciences.

Depending on how serious youd take it you should crosscheck and not only trust. And vice versa you can also find important info from bad impression articles. And understanding and "checking results" even from scientific articles is generally a good habit

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2012, 7:26 pm

ianorlin wrote:
I have seen wikipedia used as a source to show what the majority erroneously believes without doing research.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I stand corrected! There IS a use for it!

Fnord wrote:

That's pretty much what I do on the rare occasion I do use it. It is a good place to begin research. I'd still prefer to go right to the sources though. Just because they're there at the bottom doesn't mean the article actually reflects the sources. And if I'd have to cross reference anyway, why not just read the sources?

Fnord wrote:
Is it just me, or do philosophic, political, and religious articles (PP&R) seem to have more broken links than those related to maths and sciences?

I believe it! I believe it! :lol:

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

shyengineer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Nov 2012, 8:30 pm

MrXxx wrote:
It is a good place to begin research.

For serious research this is all it's good for. For serious research you should be doing a lot of checking and applying your common sense and prior knowledge - you'd be surprised how easy it is to write a research paper. Yes, it's peer reviewed but no, the details are never checked. Research papers are also swayed by people's motivations to make their research look impressive.

However, I also use Wikipedia for fun. I'm not going to remember it all and I don't always care if the information is not 100% accurate. The next, and big, step up would be a highly rated textbook. Papers should only be used for detailed information.

Unfortunately, none of this matters. A lot of people use the news and friends as their only sources.

kotshka
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2012, 6:47 am

The_Walrus wrote:
The average Wikipedia article has been shown to be of similar accuracy to the equivalent article at Encyclopaedia Britannica. Errors are corrected quickly, often so quickly they practically never appear.

Untrue. The "study" that declared Wikipedia to be nearly as accurate as Encyclopedia Britannica was based on an informal survey by a group of reporters who used only a few scientific articles as a basis. Also, the study treated all errors as equal - but the ones in Britannica were very small (even called "very minor" by the expert reviewers) and the ones in Wikipedia were big ("this is completely wrong" "I have no idea what this sentence is supposed to mean" kind of errors). Full information here: http://www.roughtype.com/?p=260

Directly from the article:
Quote:
If you were to state the conclusion of the Nature survey accurately, then, the most you could say is something like this: “If you only look at scientific topics, if you ignore the structure and clarity of the writing, and if you treat all inaccuracies as equivalent, then you would still find that Wikipedia has about 32% more errors and omissions than Encyclopedia Britannica.”