Anyone else think people your own age look old?

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

sbarne3
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Nov 2012, 10:07 am

I'm curious about something...
I have been checking out different dating sites lately and have noticed that 99% of the women my age (I'm 34) look old to me.
Is that something to do with my Aspergers? It's like the image I see of myself is younger than I am so when I look at people my own age (biologically speaking) it seems almost creepy to think about dating them.
Does anyone else feel that way?

EQ=15 (low) SQ=27 (average)
Alexithymia Quiz=128/185 (high)
Enneagram type: 5 ("The Investigator")

Plodder
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2012, 10:19 am

Yes.

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2012, 11:48 am

Now that I'm approaching 40, it seems like many of the SINGLE women my age look like dried-up old leather, sagging, balding, obese...

The ones that don't are already married... some people age better than others, but many of the ones left in the singles pool at my age are either not much to look at or are REALLY messed up in the head! Twisted and evil...

I have to hope for someone in the same boat as me - not single because of their own failings, but just bad luck/circumstances. Some people in their 40's still look great - no makeup required!

Sidmor
Raven
Raven

20 Nov 2012, 12:01 pm

Quote:
"In males and females with ASD, dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate (DHEAS) did not decrease with age (compared to controls). This suggests an abnormal hypothalamic–pituitary–adrenal axis. And the authors speculate "Whether the clinically observed ‘young look’ in middle-aged people with ASD is associated with a reduced decline in DHEAS or not is worth exploring in future studies.

I'm still unsure whether our nature as the eternally young, analytical robot-Gods with an extraordinary ability to see patterns is worth the troubles fitting in.

rosemund
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Nov 2012, 12:46 pm

Yes, but it's not just us that see them that way. I've encountered everything from people being astounded to being hostile about my age, since moving back to Texas (where I see you're from sbarne3). I attribute at least part of it, to the bad lifestyle habits. The women my age (30-45), are trying to correct their bad habits now by limiting their drinking/smoking/food intake, and exercising, but the damage has already been done to their bodies and skin. I have never been a sun person, and I lived in California for eleven years. The city where I lived just made #4 on a Top Ten List of Healthiest Cities for Women. Contrast that to here, where the drinking, non exercise, sun worshipping, and everything being fried has resulted in women that resemble mummies without the wrappings.

aspiesandra27
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2012, 12:54 pm

Yes.

I am constantly told I look like Im in my thirties. No make up either. OK I have good genes as Mum is the same, but I would like to think AS plays a big role.

machf
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Nov 2012, 1:08 pm

aspiesandra27 wrote:
Yes.

I am constantly told I look like Im in my thirties.

And you actually are in your twenties? :wink:

Reminds me of back then in 2000 when I turned 32 and people at the company where I was working thought I was 20-something...

aspiesandra27
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2012, 1:15 pm

machf :lol: You got me. I'm indeed in my twenties... 8) x 2

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2012, 1:26 pm

There are times I wish I looked older so I might be taken more seriously...

...but I still feel like a big kid on the inside anyway. :D

ronpl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Nov 2012, 1:33 pm

interesting point.

machf
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Nov 2012, 1:48 pm

aspiesandra27 wrote:
machf :lol: You got me. I'm indeed in my twenties... 8) x 2

Aren't we all...
I've got a cousin who is two years older than me. When I phoned him for his 41st birthday, he told me "now we're both the same age, since after 40 you get a year younger every year"... who knows, maybe he's right. :wink:

ThinkingMonkey
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Nov 2012, 2:14 pm

yup.. If I have a clean shaven beard people address me as if I am a teenager. I am in my mid 20's.

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2012, 2:20 pm

people usually think im in highschool (and not even a senior). I have started leaving stubble behind to atleast up it to being 18.

rosemund
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Nov 2012, 3:34 pm

machf wrote:

Reminds me of back then in 2000 when I turned 32 and people at the company where I was working thought I was 20-something...

This ^. I turned 36 in Aug, and I had a student in my office an hour ago that thought I was 22.

Salome
Toucan
Toucan

20 Nov 2012, 3:41 pm

sbarne3 wrote:
I'm curious about something...
I have been checking out different dating sites lately and have noticed that 99% of the women my age (I'm 34) look old to me.
Is that something to do with my Aspergers? It's like the image I see of myself is younger than I am so when I look at people my own age (biologically speaking) it seems almost creepy to think about dating them.
Does anyone else feel that way?

YES! Exactly! I'd like to dating people my age or older but it seems that the men attracted to me are younger. Well I don't think I would mind dating younger either though.

Solvejg
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2012, 7:30 pm

I have found most of my friends are all starting to look old. I am the youngest out of all my old friends and they all have wrinkles are starting to bald and get grey. I look a lot younger then my age so this past weekend when i was out with a new bloke i know who is nearly 4 years younger then me, everyone thought he was a lot older then me too. It is quite funny although I am not sure how my boyfriend feels about it. I have had People make a feel comments that he looks too old for me. 8O