Page 124 of 137 [ 2186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127 ... 137  Next

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2022, 5:27 pm

I will never be able to get used to eating bugs and insects in order to be more environmentally friendly or as a meat substitute because I can't even get used to eating crabs or lobsters which are basically giant insects. Maybe a few shrimp...if they're covered in a tempura batter and served with dipping sauce.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2022, 10:05 pm

A spanking never hurt anyone.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2022, 2:04 am

I see anything to do with sexual scenes just inserted in
any plot based media, without relevant dialogues or actions to keep the story moving as utterly unnecessary.

Not because I'm repulsed by it, but because it's just pointless.

I wish there's a 'skip button' for it and get on with plotline or whatever instead of watching two characters mate. :roll:

Doesn't matter if it's in a movie, a series or written fiction. :lol: :lol: :lol:

But sure, in, say, movies it's like advertising for me -- an excuse to get more popcorn or use the toilet.
This just means it's just an annoying nuisance when it's skipable by remote or skimming.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2022, 4:44 am

WrongPlanet should be made into a TV show or a musical.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2022, 5:48 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
A spanking never hurt anyone.

That’s not what the evidence suggests. Spankings DO hurt children - physically and psychologically. Corporal punishment should not be legal, and it isn’t in some countries.

Many harmful effects have been proven through valid research.

Quote:
[S]tudies found links between “normative” physical punishment and child aggression, delinquency and spousal assault in later life. Some of these studies involved large representative samples from the United States; some studies controlled for potential confounders, such as parental stress and socioeconomic status; and some studies examined the potential of parental reasoning to moderate the association between physical punishment and child aggression. Virtually without exception, these studies found that physical punishment was associated with higher levels of aggression against parents, siblings, peers and spouses.

Physical punishment is associated with a range of mental health problems in children, youth and adults, including depression, unhappiness, anxiety, feelings of hopelessness, use of drugs and alcohol, and general psychological maladjustment. These relationships may be mediated by disruptions in parent–child attachment resulting from pain inflicted by a caregiver, by increased levels of cortisol or by chemical disruption of the brain’s mechanism for regulating stress. Researchers are also finding that physical punishment is linked to slower cognitive development and adversely affects academic achievement. These findings come from large longitudinal studies that control for a wide range of potential confounders.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3447048/

Also, spanking is ineffective compared to other forms of discipline:

Quote:
In 1998, the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) wrote a statement for the first time discouraging parents from spanking their children as a method of punishment. This month, they’ve updated their policy again, now recommending that parents do not spank their children at all.

[S]panking is associated with less compliance than other forms of discipline (Gershoff, 2013). Spanking likely doesn’t work as a form of punishment, because it causes physical pain, leading to fear and confusion in children, which could, in turn, interfere when the child is trying to learn the rule or message that a parent is attempting to convey (Gershoff, 2013). Further, when spanking is used to get children to stop behaving aggressively—to stop hitting other kids, for example—it is not only ineffective as a method of punishment, but it actually backfires.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog ... anking?amp

On a personal note, I was hurt by spankings.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2022, 7:11 am

Long-haired hippies are sexy.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2022, 11:18 am

Some people are saying rich companies like Nintendo deserve to have their games pirated. I think there's a reason why Nintendo became a rich company, it's because people bought clean legal copies of their games. And having quite a few games and characters that are beloved by millions of people helps, too.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2022, 9:33 pm

There are some people who are not meant to be as thin as others.

temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 9:42 am

Sports are boring to watch. I'd rather watch people eating fruits or something.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 2:25 pm

Kids should not have to go to school.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 9:44 pm

It would not surprise me if a second Prohibition happens, except with certain types of guns
being banned instead of alcohol.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 10:57 pm

We should go back to the horse and buggy in order to save the planet.

temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2022, 2:35 am

You shouldn't trust what people say because they insincerely say nice things just to look/sound like a nice person. Inside they are laughing at your gullibility if you show your trust in them.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2022, 7:55 am

When people admit to liking and seeking out drama I immediately (and pretty much always correctly) assume that they are insufferable for others to interact with, and either have severe insecurities themselves and/or are malignantly narcissistic. Blatantly admitting that someone "likes drama" is a massive red flag that shouldn't be ignored.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2022, 5:08 pm

Sharing politically charged articles to provoke a reaction out of people is just flat out attention seeking behaviour and shouldn't be encouraged or allowed.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2022, 5:11 pm

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
Sharing politically charged articles to provoke a reaction out of people is just flat out attention seeking behaviour and shouldn't be encouraged or allowed.

I dunno.. sometimes it's entertaining for all involved. Sometimes it's educational. Sometimes it's hilarious when almost no one agrees with the stance the OP was intending so they pm the mods and request that the thread be locked because they didn't get their dose of agreement.

It's easy enough to just not participate in threads about politically charged articles if you don't want to venture into the hornets nest. I'm too opinionated not to say my 2 cents about things, though.